Public Health Officer – WHO – Bujumbura
Description of Duties
The incumbent will perform the following tasks:
- Strategic positioning: Adaptation of regional and national action plans: Ensure / ensure sound management thanks to strategic positioning (regional / national work plans). Communicate with the team members and convince them by sharing the desired vision which is part of the master plan and the agenda of the different levels of the organization. Translate the organization’s orientations into concrete strategies and prioritize objectives and projects in order to effectively support the implementation of health policies and plans. Encourage intersectoral work with health officials and non-health partners.
- Project and program management: Defines the working methods within the team and directs the execution of work plans and programs; ensures that monitoring mechanisms are put in place to monitor and evaluate progress towards the achievement of fixed objectives; Redistributes resources in the event of a change in priorities and according to the funds available; Effectively uses administrative procedures to achieve objectives; Functions as a technical and managerial facilitator, aligning WHO projects to the needs of Member States; Working closely with the national authorities of the country, directing the execution and ensuring the alignment of projects and initiatives across the different programs, and integrate efforts to ensure a holistic approach to health interventions and the resolution of cross-cutting issues and challenges.
- Lead networking, capacity building, fundraising; Actively explore the possibility of forming partnerships within a large network of contacts, in particular donor partners and national focal points. Conduct technical briefings to ensure harmonization of WHO messages and advice by program team staff.
- Team management: Lead, guide and manage the team; Build a competent team by obtaining the best resources, granting learning opportunities, providing continuous coaching and feedback. Set clear performance goals, effectively delegate, monitor and measure progress against targets;
- Stay at the forefront of strategic information on the main health concerns and use your knowledge and expertise to systematically analyze problems, overcome obstacles and make decisions keys that will lead to effective application of technical assistance to the country. Play a leading role in research, forecasting and clinical study initiatives and innovations to help solve health problems. Engage in a dialogue at the strategic level to influence national policy and ensure the consistency of the opinions of the program team and staff;
Facilitation/Establishment of a motivating environment
- Networking / Resource Mobilization / Partnership: Research and capitalize on opportunities to build partnerships through a wide network of contacts, including donors and national focal points; Collaborate with this network to define objectives and implement national programs, with a view to taking advantage of synergies and promoting mutual values, and obtaining resources and funding; Directs project development activities within the team; Proactively influence and incorporate plans with other organic groups and units within and beyond the Country Office, including IST, Regional Office, Headquarters and External Partners.
- Capacity Building: Plans the long term program for capacity building of Member States; Oversee the approaches and tactics of the WHO team; Takes responsibility for their own professional development and influences the professional development of others, with a view to maintaining high standards of competence and credibility individually and for the members of their team; ensure the implementation of a correct, comprehensive and long-term performance management and staff development practice for all staff.
- Advocacy / Communication: Supervise and guide all advocacy and communication activities, with the aim of influencing national policy makers, and helping to implement effective health practices in all sectors of society (Health in all policies); Provide other technical inputs as needed; Presents technical briefings to ensure accurate and constant sharing / dissemination of Organization messages and advice by the team and staff members;
- Execute all other related tasks assigned by the Representative of WHO. and help set up effective health practices in all sectors of society (Health in all policies); Provide other technical inputs as needed; Presents technical briefings to ensure accurate and constant sharing / dissemination of Organization messages and advice by the team and staff members;
- Diploma of higher studies in medicine / public health / communicable / noncommunicable diseases with Masters / specialization in public health or epidemiology / health economics.
- Higher diploma in Public Health / Epidemiology post doctoral level / PhD
- At least 7 years of professional experience, with increasing levels of responsibility, in disease management focusing on the areas of investigation, monitoring and control, as well as formulation strategies and action plans for the implementation of disease prevention programs.
- Good professional experience demonstrated at international and / or regional level in providing technical advice and services to national counterparts and other partners to resolve problems related to communicable and noncommunicable diseases.
- Experience working with bilateral or multilateral organizations would be an asset.
Closing date for applications 20 January 2020 before midnight.
In your application please specify that you found out about this opportunity on GCFjobs.com
Veuillez indiquer dans votre candidature que vous avez consulté cette offre sur le site web GCFjobs.com