We are currently conducting Outreach for this position. Once you have applied let us know by connecting with our Outreach Team.
Vacancy Notice No.: EXT/F/18-49
Contract Type: Fixed-term
Starting Salary: CHF 89,393 net per annum (approximate)
Issued On: 24 September 2018
Application Deadline (CET): 22 October 2018
Division: Information Technology Solutions
Duration: Two years with the possibility of extension.
Other Conditions: In accordance with WTO Staff Regulations and Staff Rules and WTO Pension Plan Regulations. The World Trade Organization offers an attractive compensation package including an annual net salary (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance), dependency benefits, pension plan, health insurance scheme, separation grant and 30 days annual leave. Benefits for internationally recruited staff may include travel and removal expenses on appointment and separation, installation grant, education grant, rental subsidy and home leave.
The Secretariat of the WTO is seeking to fill a position of Network and Telecom Engineer in the Information Technology Solutions Division.
WTO’s Network and Telecom infrastructure comprises of about 60 physical servers and around 100 virtual servers, 150 Network printers, Routers, Switches, Firewall, SSL-VPN, Multifactor Authentication, PABX, MDM, Video-conference and Unified communication systems for a campus size of 1000 Users. The Network and Telecom section is responsible for support and operations of this environment and is handling all 2nd level support with periodic pre-planned evening and weekend work within agreed maintenance windows.
Reporting to the Chief, Network and Telecom Section, the incumbent of the position will perform the following duties:
- Manage, monitor and maintain a single site wide CISCO based network infrastructure, Network Firewall, DHCP, DNS, Contents Filtering services (Internet), AirWatch MDM solution to meet the growing needs of WTO.
- Manage network supervision and monitoring tools to ensure the availability of network services at all times. Manage and operate the network infrastructure including maintenance, support and tuning.
- Programme and implement scripts/utilities required for network automation, monitoring and audit.
- Assist in the day-to-day operations of the infrastructure involving monitoring, pro-active maintenance, problem solving, providing 2nd level support by responding to incident and change requests, coordinating 3rd level support within existing support contracts as well as assisting in the optimisation of existing services. The incumbent, after a short integration period will be required to work independently and assume the assigned responsibilities. This will require regular interaction with IT Service Desk and other sections including IT Security team within the ITSD.
- Assist other Network and Telecom Engineers and Project Managers on specific tasks assigned and act as a resource back-up for the network staff in their areas of responsibilities.
- Research, attend technical briefings and keep up to date with fast moving technological changes through courses, seminars and self-training in order to provide suitable solutions and technical support.
An advanced university degree with specialization in IT Network and Operations. A university degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering or related field combined with extensive relevant work experience could be considered in lieu of an advanced university degree.
Knowledge and skills:
Technical Knowledge and Skills:
- Excellent knowledge and experience at the level of an enterprise environment of similar size as described above, ideally holding a recognised Cisco Certified Network Associate Routing & Switching certification.
- At least basic knowledge of the following areas at the level of an enterprise environment of similar size:
- Microsoft Active Directory, Security permissions management, DNS, DHCP.
- Server OS: Microsoft Windows Server (all versions from 2008 – 2012R2) and Linux Redhat.
- ITIL processes especially Incident, Change and Problem Management.
Good knowledge of the following:
- LAN/WAN and Internet technologies as well as TCP/IP protocol.
- Traditional and IP based PABX telephony system.
- VoIP Standards and Protocols like H.323, SIP, Voice and Video CODECs.
- Linux Redhat in Enterprise environments.
- Working knowledge of AirWatch MDM server operational management would be considered an advantage.
The incumbent must have the ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a demanding situation and make sound decisions. He/she must be capable of working under stress and in an autonomous manner.
The following interpersonal capabilities are required: ability to present technical facts to knowledgeable specialised audiences; to persuade others to a point of view using fact; to establish and maintain good working relationships with colleagues; to communicate information in a clear way; to make technical presentations; to work as a member of a team while working independently to achieve his/her objectives.
At least three years’ experience pertinent to the functions and the size of the WTO environment as described in the introductory paragraph above.
Excellent knowledge of English, including an ability to write accurately and concisely (documentation, procedures, processes) and make presentations if requested. A good knowledge of French will be considered as an advantage.
The position may be offered at a lower grade if the selected candidate does not fully meet all the required qualifications.
Only applications from nationals of WTO Members will be accepted.
The WTO may use various communication technologies such as video or teleconference for the assessment and evaluation of candidates. The recruitment process may also involve the use of various forms of testing, assessment centres, interviews and reference checks.
Candidates not selected whose performance in the selection process nevertheless shows them to be suitable for a similar position may be kept on a roster for up to 12 months, and may subsequently be called upon as and when the need arises for additional resources.