Looking for a career change during the COVID-19 pandemic?
If you’re lucky enough to be employed during these unsettling times, the thought of taking any professional gamble may seem reckless not to say foolish. On the other hand you may have been let go and are actively looking for employment.
We know that the economic and social implications of COVID-19 have caused employment numbers to take a hit: the great lockdown will impact the world economy which will experience the worst recession since the Great Depression. The International Monetary Fund predicts a negative global growth for April of -3%.
However not all sectors have been impacted, there is still a wide variety of companies which are hiring:
- major tech companies (Google, Facebook, Amazon…)
- distributors and sellers of food and other necessity products (Walmart, Tesco, Food Panda, Auchan…)
- medical supply manufacturers (Johnson and Johnson Siemens or GE Healthcare)
- organisations from the international public sector
If we look at this last sector, do bear in mind that their recruitment process is lengthy – it often stretches for a few months – however you probably have a lot more time on your hands than you would normally!
The application process varies according to the contract type: permanent, fixed-term, temporary. There will be a set selection procedure to follow. Do check on the deadlines given for each stage in the process, that you meet all the key qualifications for the post, if you need to complete a computer-based test, or attend an assessment centre (later in the year).
Start your search for the perfect job now, and be patient and acknowledge the situation – the name of the game is patience; things are most likely not moving as normal right now.
Make sure you do your homework thoroughly:
- scour through job boards, especially the Global Careers Fair job board – www.gcfjobs.com
- there, you’ll find job offers from organisations as diverse as
Check the World health day
Given social distancing measures, face to face interviews are a rarity so:
- participate in as many online recruitment events as possible. Check online recruitment even happening on www.globalcareersfair.com
Remember: Stay home. Stay connected. Stay healthy.
check out the Top tips to work from home