Application closing date: 5 April 2019
Background Information – Afghanistan
UNOPS strategy for Afghanistan is aimed at providing maximum support to the Government and people of Afghanistan though the delivery of projects and services in line with the government’s own priorities. The UNOPS Afghanistan Operation Center (AFOC) has been established as an organizational mechanism to deliver a range of projects for which UNOPS has been designated as the implementation agency. At present, UNOPS AFOC is implementing a number of projects in a range of sectors including infrastructure (roads and schools) development, capacity building to various ministries, and environmental protection, among others, on behalf of the Government of Afghanistan and the donor community.
The functional objective of UNOPS AFOC is to deliver projects in an efficient and effective manner, to achieve the development outcomes sought by the Government of Afghanistan and the donor community, where capacity building is always considered and encouraged. The aim of UNOPS AFOC is to provide implementation services to the Government of Afghanistan, the donor community and partner agencies in the reconstruction and development of the country. In doing so, UNOPS aims to exceed client expectations in the delivery of quality services throughout the country.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
Under the supervision of the Head of Support, the Dispatcher shall perform the following duties and responsibilities including, but not limited to:
- Responsible for the daily movement of personnel from the compound, both national and international, to their specific destinations
- Monitor the movement of the personnel and the daily attendance record of drivers
- Conduct training for the drivers; ensuring all drivers comply with UNOPS Administrative Instruction on ‘Road and Driving Safety’ and other relevant Organizational
- Directives/Administrative Instructions. Conduct AV driving courses/training.
- In cooperation with HR, maintain roster of drivers
- Manage UNOPS vehicles fleet and vehicle distribution
- Ensure all supporting documentation for travels/road missions (travel authorization, security clearance etc.) are duly signed and completed prior to travel
- Responsible for, and maintain, the vehicle maintenance filing system
- Maintain vehicle history forms with expenditure accord on their repairs and maintenance
- Maintaining transport Excel spread sheet of trip tickets, fuel usage and vehicle history
- Ensuring daily and weekly vehicle care and maintenance of the vehicle fleet
- Supervision of the drivers to ensure that UNOPS rules and regulations are complied with and the drivers have valid driving permits
- Controlling vehicle trip sheets and regular check on those documents to ensure fuel consumption is in line with the specifications of the relevant model
- Making arrangements for the regular servicing and maintenance of all vehicles
- Maintaining a sound and accurate filling system
- To carry out quality check for vehicles and file all the relevant documentations
- Ensuring that all project vehicles have relevant and updated documentation and are in roadworthy condition
- Normal daily driver duties are carried out in a timely manner
- Assist in the implementation of safety and security guidelines (MOSS) for the personnel and project office premises in according with AFOC security.
- Conveying security advices and other important instructions received from AFOC security from time to time to the project personnel
- Any other duties assigned by the supervisor
Monitoring and Progress Controls
Submit quarterly reports of expenses in relation to car maintenance
- Proper maintenance of the vehicle fleet; ensuring the vehicles are in safe and road worthy condition at all times.
- Security of premises.
- Report any irregularities to shift Supervisor.
- Efficient provision of reliable and secure transport services
- High School certificate required
- Minimum 3 years of driving experience
- Possession of a valid driver’s license essential
- Driving certificates including armored vehicles/B6 an advantage
- Excellent knowledge of Afghanistan roads and traffic rules essential
- Previous relevant experience with UN/UNOPS, local or international organizations an asset
- Fluent in the local language of the duty station
- Intermediate English skills (speaking, reading and writing) a must
b. Key Competencies
- Integrity and professionalism in performing routine and core functions
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Office 2003 and/or newer versions)
- Excellent communication and team-building skills
- Ability to work long hours and under pressure in a stressful and multi-cultural environment
- Values equality with respect to gender, race, nationality and culture
- Ability to apply sound judgment and decision in accordance to established SOPs and rules and regulations
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
Head of Administration
Application closing date: 14 April 2019
The post holder will, together with a team of 3 / 4 administration officers, be responsible for the management, organization and delivery of all administrative services at EMBL Grenoble. These services cover inter-institutional contracts, scientific grants, public relations and communications, finances (purchasing, inventory, budget control), human resources, travel arrangements and meetings organisation. S/he will ensure that the services are performed in an effective and efficient manner and within all legislative, policy and procedural guidelines. S/he will report to the Head of the Grenoble site and have a close working relationship with the central services under the Administrative Director at the EMBL main Laboratory in Heidelberg, Germany.
- Lead EMBL Grenoble’s administration team.
- Advise the Head of EMBL Grenoble in administrative, institutional, legal and policy matters.
- Contribute to strategic decision-making and implementing decisions as they relate to the EMBL Grenoble.
- Oversee negotiation of new contracts with scientific and other partners
- Ensure that the services are performed in an effective and efficient manner, within all legislative, policy and procedural guidelines and according to EMBL best practices.
- Ensure that EMBL privileges and immunities are respected and properly implemented.
- Establish and maintain constructive relationships with the national and local authorities of France, the host member state.
- As a member of the EPN science campus, foster constructive working relationships with other research institutes on site and advice in setting up new collaborations.
- Oversee and implement the administration control framework including risk management.
- Participate in internal and external working groups and advisory committees as appropriate.
- Human Resources: Ensure correct interpretation and application of the EMBL Staff Rules and Regulations, participate in the resolution of staff disputes, oversight of local recruitment, and proposal of on-site-specific HR measures and rules, including training.
- Finance: Budgets, finance, taxes and grants management: Oversee the development of the EMBL Grenoble budget, down to group leader level, and ensure that these are agreed with the Head of Site and regularly reported. Ensure that applications for grant funding are properly co-ordinated and support provided for awarded grants. Advise on tax matters and implement procedures for the recovery of paid taxes.
- Purchasing: Oversee the work of the administration team on the purchasing activities of the EMBL Grenoble site in accordance with EMBL Financial Regulations and other applicable rules, advice on commercial contracts and activities.
- Facility Management: Oversee space planning, allocation and office moves, works and maintenance.
- Health & Safety: Ensure that proper processes and procedures are implemented to secure the well-being and safety of personnel and visitors.
- Establish and maintain relations with other international organisations.
S/he should be capable of adopting a forward looking and solution oriented attitude within the context of administration within an international organisation. The post holder should have demonstrated general managerial competences in a multi-national environment, enjoy working independently as well as possess excellent communication, networking and computer skills. S/he has an analytical and numerical mind-set with attention to detail.
Fluency in spoken and written English and French are essential for this position.
You might also have
- negotiating and drafting contracts,
- finance and budget control,
- scientific grants management.