Head of Aviation Sustainability
- lead and manage all environment and climate change Agency’s activities towards the EU and its agencies, ICAO, States and other stakeholders;
- function as the Agency’ spokesperson on aviation sustainability and environmental planning;
- communicate effectively on the Agency’s capabilities, competencies, services, products and successes;
- raise awareness and improve understanding amongst stakeholders of the impact of climate change on aviation and the Agency’s role in supporting an improvement in the industry’s environmental performance;
- operate the Emissions Trading System (ETS) Support Facility and ensuring provision of CORSIA support to stakeholders (e.g.: States, the EU, ICAO, etc.);
- provide support to EU bodies in the field of aviation sustainability, such as EASA, SESAR JU, European Commission, etc.;
- develop and implement his/her domain’s strategy, objectives, and work program; and manage its activities and resources (budget and personnel), while ensuring availability of competencies and business continuity;
- contribute to the design and deployment of operational measures and initiatives that can improve the environmental performance of the ATM and aviation system;
- provide stakeholders with environment and climate-change related expertise, data, impact assessment and studies, products and services;
- lead and carry out research and analysis of any new aviation environmental topics and innovative concepts.
- develop and maintain excellent and effective relations with stakeholders and represent the Agency in internal/external high-level groups;
- present strong sustainability plans for the aviation sector to international audiences.
Required Qualifications, Experience and Competencies
- Completed university studies of 4 years in a relevant domain (i.e.: aviation, business administration, environment, engineering, meteorology, geography, etc.);
- Minimum of 10 years’ relevant professional experience including 5 years in management or strategic activities;
- Experience/knowledge of the environmental impact of aviation (e.g. noise, pollution);
- Experience in producing strategic communications/media engagement;
- Experience in Air Traffic Management (ATM) would be an asset;
- Knowledge or understanding of methods of aircraft emissions/noise/fuel burn calculations;
- Stakeholder management skills;
- Strategic focus: develops business/service strategy in line with the Agency’s strategy;
- Influencing: sells the benefits of ideas;
- Communication: adapts communication to different situations and audiences;
- Managing people: Encourages development as support to business objectives;
- Managing change: manages effectively the change process;
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment;
- Professional conduct in line with the corporate behaviours of the Agency, i.e. result-driven, readiness to change, customer focus, integrity and team-player approach;
- The working languages of the Agency are English and French. For this particular post, thorough knowledge of English and satisfactory knowledge of the other language to the extent necessary for the performance of the described duties are required.
Closing date for applications 21 November 2019 before midnight Brussels time.
For more information on how to apply, please click the ‘Apply’ button.
Head of Air Transport Innovation – EUROCONTROL
Head of Air Transport Innovation
As Head of Air Transport Innovation, your role will be to:
- build industry and stakeholder partnerships for the innovation and technical services of the Agency;
- create alliances and develop consortiums to facilitate industry needs and implement projects;
- work with stakeholders to create sustainable services for the Agency in term of market, finance and thought leadership;
- develop, implement and manage the R&D and Innovation strategy and objectives, manage and promote its range of domains and activities including resources (budget and personnel), resource allocation, succession planning and staff development;
- adopt a full lifecycle approach in order to reduce the gap between R&D and deployment;
- create a cooperative State/Industry service platform for innovation;
- ensure strong coordination with Agency Directorates and build and maintain effective relations within relevant R&D stakeholders and aviation networks;
- manage the Experimental Centre’s validation infrastructure and services (e.g. fast-time and real-time simulations for the Network, En-route, Terminal Manoeuvring Areas, Airports, etc.) and to maintain and enhance the position of the Agency in concept, product validation and certification processes.
As the Experimental Centre Site Manager, your role will be to:
- manage the market positioning, finances, budget and viability of the Centre;
- ensure resources are deployed efficiently and cost effectively to service stakeholders;
- monitor the overall site performance and promote local mitigation actions as needed;
- manage local risks and crises through the local Risk Management and Crisis Committees;
- ensure and oversee applicable corporate policies and processes (e.g. on-site security, safety at work, environment, HR, social dialogue, finance, etc.);
- represent the Director General vis-à-vis local authorities and Protocol.
- Perform any other task in line with the main purpose of the job.
Required Qualifications, Experience & Competencies
- Completed university studies of 4 years in a relevant domain, e.g. Master’s degree in the field of science, engineering, etc.
- In addition to the above, a minimum of 18 years’ relevant work experience, including 15 years in management or strategic activities.
- Senior management experience in an ANSP, Research Organisation, Airport, Airline or Technology provider.
- Strong experience in forming and leading international consortium projects.
- Experience at deploying international consortium technology to partner organisations.
- Experience in managing service and technology projects in the areas of ATM system deployment, leading international technology projects, research activities and training.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-cultural environment and good marketing, commercial and consortium building experience.
- Experience in large-scale programme management and record of successful accomplishment in delivering complex work packages.
- Understanding of the aviation sector (Air Traffic Management Concepts and Systems, Flow and Capacity Management, airports operations), its growth challenges, actors and networks.
- Knowledge of relevant European Commission programmes.
- Leading: Demonstrates direction
- Strategic focus: Develops business/service strategy in line with Agency’s strategy
- Creativity and innovation : Innovates the Agency
- Influencing: Builds alliances and develops influencing strategies
- Managing change : Drives corporate changes at all levels
- This post involves frequent mission to Headquarters in Brussels, Belgium.
- Ability to work in a multinational and multicultural environment.
- Professional conduct in line with the corporate behaviours of the Agency, i.e. result-driven, readiness to change, customer focus, integrity and team-player approach.
- The working languages of the Agency are English and French. For this particular post, thorough knowledge of English (oral/written) and satisfactory knowledge of French to the extent necessary to perform the described duties are required.