Application closing date: 24 June 2019
Business Development Services Advisor – Role overview
You will be working hand in hand with team members of the Global Livelihoods team, located around the world, and Livelihoods teams in the country offices of VSO Tanzania, VSO Uganda and VSO Kenya. You will support documenting VSO’s work in the area of Enterprise Development and advise on improvements and future focus of the work. Your input will ensure that VSO is delivering a relevant package of Business Development Services (BDS) to male and especially female entrepreneurs operating SMEs in different sectors and geographical areas.
Skills, qualifications and experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in Business management or social science, Entrepreneurship, Economics or related is required
- Background on training, education or facilitation skills will be the most advantageous factor for this position.
- Communication – communicates at various levels depending on the audience and content of the message, communicates the rights message, excellent in communication consistency between partners in the project
- Analysis and creative problem-solving – proactive to deliver solutions to challenges. Ability to analyse and quickly grasp the fundamentals of a need. Able to find innovative ways of solving or pre-empting problems.
- Flexibility – ability to be proactive in changing the environment of working, business management, entrepreneurship is desirable, experience in people management and ability to work in a multinational with flexibilities of cultural differences.
- Good writing skills
Competencies and Behaviour
At VSO we believe progress is only possible by working together. Whether you want to join us as an employee, or as a volunteer working in your own country, overseas or online, our selection process includes an assessment based on these core competencies:
- Ability to be open-minded and respectful
- Ability to be resilient and adaptive to new situations
- Ability to facilitate positive change and build sustainable working relationships
- Ability to seek and share knowledge
VSO promotes equal opportunities and values a diverse workforce.
As a VSO volunteer, you will be sharing your skills with local communities on a full-time basis. VSO will cover your travel, vaccinations, accommodation, and medical insurance costs, along with a local living allowance which will be paid in local currency. This allowance meets reasonable living expenses in the country, but will not be enough to send money home. You will also receive some financial support to contribute to your on-going expenses at home.
VSO works with some of the poorest communities in the world which means accommodation varies and will be basic.
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description for more information.
To submit your application, click on ‘Make an application’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.