UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women is leading and coordinating the United Nations System to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It is providing strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with the private sector, civil society, government and other relevant actors.
With 10 years to go to the end date of gender inequality in 2030, UN Women is calling for enhanced and sustained actions to deliver on our collective global commitments as they are reflected in Sustainable Development Goal 5 and in the Beijing Declaration and Platform for Action which celebrates 25 years in 2020. To this end, UN Women has together with key partners established the Generation Equality Forum, a campaign that will be ongoing until July 2020 with a conference in Paris and through to UN Member State discussion st the UN General Assembly on September 2020. UN Women Nordic Liaison Office in Copenhagen is looking to recruit a consultant to assist in the preparations of the Generation Equality Forum, including in the organisation of campaigns and in engagement with the private sector and other relevant stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities
The objective of this consultancy is to help facilitate engagement of the Nordic private sector, local government actors and civil society in the Generation Equality Forum campaign.
Scope of Work and Responsibilities
- Review all partnership documents and business propositions for the engagement of the private sector in the Generation Equality Forum and liaise with the private sector unit and other relevant units in UN Women as well as with the Gender Diversity Roundtable and other partners. Arrange and conduct meetings with key stakeholders with the purpose of soliciting their interest in partnerships and identify resource mobilization opportunities through win-win arrangements.
- Prepare tailor-made documents for meetings with each stakeholder related to a relevant business proposition and partnership models.
The consultant is expected to deliver the following outputs:
- Review tasks and design workplan for the consultancy (4 days)
- Materials prepared and partnership meetings conducted in Denmark, including workplan for way forward (20 days)
- Materials prepared and partnership meetings conducted in Norway, including workplan for way forward (8 days)
- Materials prepared and partnership meetings conducted in Sweden, including workplan for way forward (8 days);
- Proven ability to design and implement relevant and targeted initiatives
- Ability to develop and maintain strong partnerships with a variety of stakeholders and develop inter-institutional coordination and communication mechanisms.
Demonstrate consistency in upholding and promoting the values of UN Women in actions and decisions, in line with the UN Code of Conduct.
Demonstrate professional competence and expert knowledge of the pertinent substantive areas of work.
Core Values and Ethics:
- Demonstrate cultural sensitivity and able to work in a multi-national environment
- Support the Organization’s corporate goal
- Comply with UN WOMEN rules, regulations and code of conduct
- Demonstrate ability to work in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment and to maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
- Build effective client relationships and partnerships
- Interact with all levels of staff in the organization
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Build and share knowledge
- Make valuable practice contributions
Communicating and Information Sharing:
- Facilitate and encourage open communication and strive for effective communication.
- Excellent oral and written skills
- Listen actively and respond effectively
Self-management and Emotional Intelligence:
Stay composed and positive even in difficult moments, handle tense situations with diplomacy and tact, and have a consistent behaviour towards others.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Political Science, International Development, Gender Studies or a related field
- Experience working for an international organisation and/or government entity with focus on the Sustainable Development Goals, with particular focus on Goal 5
- Demonstrated experience working with and advocating on gender issues.
- Experience in planning and organising complex events.
- Experience working with or collaborating closely with the private sector// Experience conducting strategies on private sector engagement, with specific focus on resource mobilization
- Demonstrated analytical experience.
- Excellent rapport in understanding culturally diverse audiences for messaging;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with a minimum of guidance while seeing consensus, and ability to deliver on target and on time.
Fluency in the English language required, with strong, confident command of both written and oral English. Fluency in Danish, Norwegian or Swedish required.
Application closing date: 20th September 2019 (Midnight New York, USA)