Please note this is only a profile and not a live Vacancy. If you are interested in this role, chat to UNOPS recruiters at the upcoming Global Careers For Women event on 10 October
Background Information – IPAS
Based in Copenhagen, Denmark, the UNOPS Integrated Practice Advice and Support (IPAS) serves all the regions and headquarters, primarily with advice and solutions to everyday implementation challenges. IPAS consists of a diverse team of subject matter experts in the six practice areas of HR, Administration, Legal, Finance, Procurement, Project Management and Infrastructure. IPAS has three main roles:
Support to operations in the field offices: IPAS provides timely advice and supports actively finding of solutions to everyday implementation challenges, based on policy and best practices. It also provides operational support in specific areas.
Business efficiency: IPAS recommends changes to policies, processes and operating standards based on the feedback and experience of the field offices. IPAS also ensures transparent and efficient project implementation, in line with policy and business needs.
Body of knowledge: IPAS contributes to research and coordination within the policy groups and project practitioners. It provides structured knowledge and subject matter expertise which is used across practice areas to provide coherent and tailored advice to the requesting offices.
Under the Head of IPAS Finance supervision, the incumbent will work closely with Operations Centres and field offices, primarily to provide everyday support and solutions to corporate implementation initiatives. The incumbent will keep a balance between operational implementation efficiencies and policy/rules requirements, and also contribute towards long-term solutions by channelling practical recommendations through the Practice Advisor for improvements in policies and processes for efficient project implementation.
Summary of functions:
- Banking and cash management
- Project Accounting
- Knowledge management and innovation
1. Banking and cash management
- Take lead role in banking-related accounting processes and transactions.
- Preparation of bank reconciliations against Cash book and General Ledger for HQ managed bank accounts.
- Provide clear guidance and support on the eld bank accounts reconciliations. Respond to queries received from UNOPS field offices on nance/banking issues.
2. Project Accounting
- Analyze and reconcile the General ledger accounts and adjust the accounting entries accordingly.
- Review of supporting documents for vouchers and receipts, ensuring completeness of supporting documentation, accuracy and compliance with IPSAS.
- Review and confirms adjustments to the project expenditures as may be required.
- Review and confirm appropriateness of operational transactions processed as per applicable policies, regulations, rules and interpretive guidelines.
- Prepare and analyze ad hoc nance reports, investigates and prepares adjustments as required.
- Prepare recurring, ad hoc or special reports as required.
- Support to the preparation of monthly schedules, quarterly and year-end treasury statement.
- Assist Field Oces with Financial reporting and analysis.
- Resolve Financial Reporting system issues with Finance Group.
- Provide reports as needed for year-end closure activities.
- Assist with audits and self-audits and quality assurance activities as required.
- Assist in the preparation of ad-hoc reports as requested by internal/external auditors.
- Support the implementation of audit recommendations as may be required.
5. Knowledge management and innovation
- Contribute to the development of internal capacity across the organization in terms of project nance.
- Organize training events and design/set training agenda to build capacity of stakeholders on project nance. Determine and make available sufficient and expert resources for training events.
Impact of results:
The responsible and transparent financial analysis and reporting of financial resources to governing bodies, clients, partners and stakeholders enhance the visibility and image of the UNOPS as an effective service provider in project services and management and consequently strengthen its competitive position as a partner of choice in sustainable development and project services in the country served.
- Advanced University degree in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or related discipline is required.
- A combination of a Bachelor’s degree in Finance or related eld plus additional work experience may be accepted in lieu of the Master/Advanced degree.
- Minimum 2 years of relevant progressively responsible job-related experience in nance or accounting is required at the national or international level (if in possession of advanced university degree).
- Some experience in UN organization an asset.
- Full working knowledge of English.
- Knowledge of another UN language such as Spanish or French is desirable.
Centre Heads, BIS Innovation Hub
Centre Heads, BIS Innovation Hub
The BIS Innovation Hub is a new unit of the BIS with multidisciplinary teams located in Hong Kong SAR, Singapore and Switzerland. Its mission is to (i) identify and develop in-depth insights into critical trends in financial technology of relevance to central banks, (ii) explore the development of public goods to enhance the functioning of the global financial system, and (iii) serve as a focal point for a network of central bank experts on innovation.
The BIS seeks qualified candidates for the Centre Head for each of its three Innovation Hub centres located in Hong Kong SAR, Singapore and Switzerland. The Centre Heads would report to the Head of the BIS Innovation Hub in Basel.
Purpose of the job:
- Together with other Centres of the multi-locational BIS Innovation Hub (the “Hub”), contribute to the overall strategy of the Hub to foster international collaboration on innovative financial technology within the central banking community in order to improve the functioning and efficiency of the international financial system.
- Lead efforts to scout new technologies to increase knowledge in areas of critical interest to central banks and to produce global public goods in these areas.
- Design and execute a range of projects on digital innovation as part of the global agenda of the Hub, leveraging the regional strengths and specialist skill sets of the Hub Centre.
- Develop networks in the region bringing together central banks, academic communities and the private sector with a focus on digital innovation and it application to the financial system.
- Provide direct oversight of the operations of the Hub Centre, ensure its effective functioning and project goals.
- Under the direction of the Head of the Hub support the mission of the Hub by identifying critical trends in technology of interest to central banks and identifying projects for development with a view to the production of global public goods in the technology space.
- Design and oversee the execution of project-related activities that explore the impact of technology developments on financial markets and central banks in line with the established priorities of the Hub. Coordinate research on potential topics.
- Closely monitor performance of projects in relation to objectives, regularly reassess progress and adapt as needed in consultation with the Head of the Hub and the host central bank to ensure concrete outcomes, fast-paced delivery and an efficient allocation of resources.
- Ensure effective collaboration with host central bank, and where applicable, support outreach activities of the Hub in close collaboration with the BIS Chief Representative of the region.
- Build a regional network of central bank experts on innovation, and promote exchange of views and knowledge-sharing.
- Support the Head of the Hub in effective coordination of the Centre’s activities across regional centres.
- Support the Centre’s continued development of expert knowledge on innovative technologies related to the work of the Hub and actively encourage the sharing of insights.
Relationships and representation
- Actively engage with counterparts in central banks, international organisations, the private sector and Fintech community to develop and maintain strong and collaborative relationships.
- Establish and develop contacts with the BIS committees, standard-setting bodies, and international organisations.
- Represent the BIS, or ensure that it is adequately represented, at relevant Fintech events in the region.
- Provide leadership and direction to staff promoting functional excellence and continuous improvement. Develop and strengthen internal talent.
Qualification and work experience:
- Advanced degree from a university of international standing.
- At least 10 years’ of experience of which at least 5 years’ of relevant work experience within central banking, economic research, the financial industry or the technology sector, with a focus on handling transformations, fintech policies and operations of relevance to the mission of the Hub.
- Deep knowledge of fintech issues, such as latest technology architectures, developing trends and expert knowledge of financial technologies and their implications for the global financial system.
- Extensive experience in understanding of public policy issues; understanding of central banking operations would be an asset.
- Demonstrated track record of extensive engagement with FinTech ecosystem and partners.
- Strong leadership with proven ability to manage high-performance multi-disciplinary teams to execute complex projects consistent with the mandates of the Centres.
- Track record of effective business and resource management.
- Previous experience interacting with central bank senior officials would be an advantage.
- Excellent conceptual and analytical skills and ability to apply creative and innovative thinking to solve complex problems.
- Strong results orientation with enthusiasm, drive and energy to deliver.
- Ability to create a fast paced, dynamic work environment in which colleagues from diverse backgrounds work flexibly, effectively and constructively.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
The BIS is fully committed to equal opportunity employment and strives for diversity among its staff.
Application Closing Date: 30th September 2019