Application closing date: 2 June 2019
Under the guidance and supervision of the Finance Analyst, the Finance Assistant ensures effective execution of financial services and processes, and transparent utilization of financial resources in support of the Regional Hub in Amman, The Finance Associate promotes and supports a client-oriented approach.
The Finance Assistant works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and projects’ staff in the Hub, and RBAS HQ for resolving finance-related issues and information exchange.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
1. Provide support in Implementation of operational and financial management strategies 2. Support in the administration of budgets and cost-recovery system 3. Provides accounting and administrative support to the Finance Unit 4. Support the Hub’s cash management system
Provide support in Implementation of operational and financial management strategies, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance with UN/UNDP rules and regulations of financial processes, financial records and reports and audit follow up; Assist in the implementation of the effective internal control framework.
- Prepare and modify project budgets in Atlas and submit them for approval.
- Prepare cost-recovery vouchers using the Regional Hub cost recovery system
- Assist in the preparation of the rent and common services quarterly invoices
- Provide support in the preparation of a periodic financial reports, reconcile accounting information.
3. Provide accounting and administrative support to the Finance Unit focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Preparation of all types of vouchers.
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas;
- Timely accounts closure
- Timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers. Timely response to HQ requests to resolve financial data issues.
- Timely corrective actions on erroneous data in Atlas. Preparation of financial reports as required.
- Timely VAT reimbursements.
- Any other related tasks as assigned by the supervisor
4. Support the Hub’s cash management functioning focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provide support to the finance unit for timely review of cash position for local accounts to ensure enough funds on hand for disbursements. Timely identification and recording of receipts for income application.
- Provide support to the finance unit for daily review of zero-balance account bank statements in Atlas to monitor Imprest level; identification and recording of contributions.
- Provide support in the preparation of monthly UN exchange rate report to Treasury.
- Provide support in preparation of bank reconciliations.
- Provide support to the finance unit for timely preparation of monthly cashflow forecast for use by Operations Manager/ Finance Analyst. Liaison with all teams, UNRCO, UNDCO, and UN Agencies to obtain estimate of their cash requirement.
- Any other related tasks as assigned by the supervisor
Required Skills and Experience
College diploma in Finance or in Accounting. Certified accountants from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy or a bachelor’s degree in Finance or in Accounting will have a distinct advantage.
- 4-5 years of progressively responsible finance and accounting experience is required. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems and ERP financials, preferably PeopleSoft.
- Knowledge of the UAE VAT application is preferable.
- Knowledge of IPSAS and/or IFRS will be an asset
Fluency in Arabic and English
Senior Business Analyst, Financial Messaging
|Employment – Duration:||3 years|
Your contribution to our mission
In our role as a bank for central banks, we manage reserves for a relatively small number of customer central banks and international financial institutions. The tools and systems we develop must meet their highly specific requirements and are often vitally important to their needs. Our technological solutions support our customers’ ability to manage their reserves.
We are currently undertaking a fundamental, long-term review of our trading, financial messaging and risk management systems, informed and inspired by the vast portfolio of new technologies available nowadays. You’ll be key to that rejuvenation.
A hybrid role at the heart of our transformation
This is an area with a lot of potential that requires energy and drive. Not just to explore the wide range of possibilities, but to collaborate with different areas of the Bank and strengthen our networks with central banks yourself.
We are looking for a Senior Business Analyst in financial messaging to join the Banking IT unit. You have experience in SWIFT messaging and will work as part of a team of five, where you will help manage the system infrastructure and software, including change analysis and user support.
- Provide support for the financial messaging systems, including management of technical and business impact of changes
- Manage confidential information related to cyber security in financial messaging systems and propose solutions to related threats
- Provide business analysis and user support for the development, configuration and maintenance of tools and applications
- Implement and customise package applications; develop departmental business applications, interfaces and web-based services
- Represent the Banking IT department in groups for systems design, integration, standards and change management
Your qualifications, experience and skills
- University degree in information management or a related discipline
- Experience with SWIFT messaging formats
- Knowledge of banking business practices (financial instruments, trading platforms, market infrastructures, etc.) and technical infrastructures (IBM MQ, Oracle, Sybase IQ, MS-SQL Server, Tuxedo, Control-M, SAP Business Objects, BizTalk, etc.)
- Ideally some experience in the management of Bottomline Technologies, with GTSuite products an advantage
- A hands-on, practical approach, with efficient problem-solving skills
- Experience with Agile Methodology, Scrum, Kanban
- Team player with strong interpersonal skills; comfortable engaging with staff at all levels
- Strong communication skills including excellent written and spoken English
The BIS is fully committed to equal opportunity employment and strives for diversity among its staff.
Technical and Financial Assistant of the Project “Strengthening of institutional capacities for the protection of children, adolescents and youth of the Colombia-Ecuador border area, affected by violence and armed conflict”
|Application Deadline:||27-May-19 (Midnight New York, USA)|
|Time left:||11d 17h 14m|
|Type of Contract:||Service Contract|
|Required Languages:||English Spanish|
|Starting Date: (date when the selected candidate is expected to start)||15-Jun-2019|
|Duration of Initial Contract:||1 year|
|Expected Duration of Assignment:|
The project “Strengthening institutional capacities for the protection of girls, boys, adolescents and young people in the Colombia-Ecuador border area, affected by violence and armed conflict” has as its central objective “to strengthen mechanisms for the prevention and protection of girls , children, adolescents and youth (NNAJ), in the face of the dynamics of violence, to promote the stabilization of the Colombia-Ecuador border area ” and will be implemented within the framework of the Binational Border Integration Plan 2014-2022. It will intervene in the cantons of San Lorenzo, Eloy Alfaro and Tulcán, in the provinces of Esmeraldas and Carchi (Ecuador) and in the municipalities of Cumbal and Ipiales of the department of Nariño (Colombia).
The situation and dynamics at the border have exacerbated the risk of recruitment and use of adolescents and young people for illicit activities, which is accompanied by the involvement of adolescents and women for sexual exploitation and other forms of GBV. The cross-border scenario with low development rates and little presence of the State and international cooperation, added to the “incentives” offered by the link to the practice of illicit activities, exposes the population to greater risks in the face of the aforementioned challenges.
For its approach, and given the difficulty of having figures and a clear picture of the situation in the border area, the project will first focus on the analysis and identification of conflicts and risks and then generate protective environments that prevent and respond effectively. , as well as alternatives to children and adolescents (NNA) and young people that require options other than those related to violence and illegality.
The project includes the strengthening of vocational education programs and technical skills to enhance opportunities for social, educational and employment inclusion of adolescents, youth and women, as a strategy for the prevention of recruitment, sexual exploitation and GBV.
The project will also aim to promote transformations in the perceptions and practices of families, the community, civil society organizations, institutions, and of the same child, adolescent and youth population in the face of: i) the naturalization of violence and the involvement in illegal activities as a means of survival, ii) xenophobia and iii) gender inequality.
Likewise, the project will strengthen, within the framework of existing binational cooperation, the public institutions of Colombia and Ecuador to expand and adapt the identification, registration, and documentation services of the population; and will support the binational strategy of identifying double registration cases. All of the above, as key and enabling tools for the full exercise of rights and access to social protection services.
2. Include Purpose (s) of the hiring
Have a professional that supports the Binational Coordination in the monitoring, implementation and monitoring of the programmatic activities within the framework of the project “Strengthening of institutional capacities for the protection of children, adolescents and youth of the Colombian border area- Ecuador, affected by violence and armed conflict “, during its execution and in accordance with the functions and responsibilities indicated in the following sections.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direction and supervision of the binational Project Coordinator, in close collaboration with the territorial coordination units, it will provide support for the follow-up of the program activities that are developed within the framework of the Project.
The Project assistant will be in charge of the following activities:
Administrative support that includes, among others:
- Support in compliance with the guidelines and standards of the PBF (Peacebuilding Fund) and in strict compliance with the administrative, financial, operational and ethical standards of the United Nations System (UNS) and particularly of UN Women.
- Support and collect information on monitoring the efficient and transparent implementation of physical and financial resources in accordance with the PBF standards.
- Support in the follow-up of the commitments made in the project’s budget.
- Compile financial and monitoring information for efficient preparation of annual work plans, for reporting on project funds and maintain related records, as well as for any meeting that requires it.
- Support in the coordination of common actions of visibility of the project.
- Support in the monitoring of the activities of the national and territorial project team.
Support for Project Management Activities that includes, among others:
- Support the compilation of results and inputs at a general and sectoral level.
- Support the preparation of monthly and quarterly reports according to the guidelines of the Coordinator.
- Compile information for midterm and final evaluations.
- Provide logistical support for the organization of teleconferences and meetings with the binational and national support team of the agencies involved in the execution of the project.
- Support the monitoring and monitoring of the project, the reception and systematization of documents and financial execution data, the preparation of progress and communication reports that are required by the Binational Coordination.
- Carry out a periodic financial reporting and monitoring system according to the POA versus the execution of the project.
Support for Coordination Activities that includes, among others:
- Coordinate and supervise the annual work plan, based on the results framework of the Project Document.
- Support the sending of required information to the Binational Technical Committee and the Project Binational Steering Committee, and in the coordination of meetings with all its members. This includes making the calls, supporting the preparation of the agenda, sending the required documentation on time, and making the minutes of the meetings held within the framework of the project, ensuring its correct filing.
- Coordinate the communication actions of the project.
- Maintain a registry with contact information of the different actors involved in the implementation of the project and update periodically.
- Carry out mission to field plans to provide follow-up and financial and technical support to the territorial, national and binational team.
Secretarial support, which includes, among others,
- Support for the systematization of meetings and workshops related to project activities.
- Preparation of regular and administrative correspondence; transcribe written materials that includes reports on project documents; review and correct written material prepared by colleagues to ensure adequate format and writing.
Logistical support, which includes, among others
- Organize the logistics of planned events, seminars and meetings and, if necessary, provide support to the technical team.
- Support the preparation of informative notes, letters and communications related to public activities and their corresponding dissemination.
- Support in the organization of missions of the personnel, which includes, among others, making the quotations of tickets and their reservations, preparing the calculation of travel expenses and managing the payment.
- Prepare the forms for liquidating travel expenses and mission expenses of the Coordination.
- Support in the preparation of agendas.
The Binational Project Assistant will be under the supervision of the binational Project Coordinator and the lead agency of the project and will maintain permanent communication channels with the UN Coordination Offices in Colombia and Ecuador.
Only applications of people with Ecuadorian nationality or with a valid permit to work in Ecuador will be considered (work visa to reside and work in Ecuador during the contract period). This document must be included in the application, if the scanned document included in the application is not present, it will be REJECTED.
- University degree in social sciences, administration, finance or related areas.
- Specialized or fourth level studies in project management, public policies, international relations, project management, international cooperation or related.
- Professional experience of at least two years in the implementation or monitoring of development projects. Special emphasis will be given to the experience in United Nations organizations and in the institutional sphere that works in favor of women’s rights and gender equity;
- Experience in support of areas of organizational communication and communication for development will be valued.
- Affinity or interest in gender equality or human rights, as a mechanism for sustainable development.
- Capacity for analysis and synthesis.
- Solid computer skills, including advanced handling of several Microsoft Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) as well as email / internet; familiarity with database management and office technology equipment;
- Languages: fluent management of spoken and written Spanish; Spoken and written English.
- Knowledge of the United Nations Atlas system will be positively valued.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; cultural and social sensitivity; ability to work in an inclusive and collaborative manner with a variety of stakeholders, including members of the grassroots community, religious and youth organizations, and authorities at various levels; familiarity with tools and approaches to communication for development;
- Motivation on own initiative, ability to work with minimal supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines; ability to organize and plan;
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of national and international personnel.
IDB Invest – Gender, Diversity and Inclusion Officer
IDB Invest Gender, Diversity and Inclusion Officer – Financial Clients
Background: The Investment Operations Department (INO) is responsible for generating a portfolio of high quality, creditworthy, and environmentally and socially sound projects that result in significant development impact. The business cycle goes from the identification, selection, origination and execution of transactions to their monitoring.
INO follows a matrix model, with three Segment Divisions covering Infrastructure and Energy, Financial Institutions and Corporates, and three transversal areas such as the Financial Products and Services Division the Advisory Services and Blended Finance Team, and the Portfolio Management Division.
Our team: In the Gender, Diversity and Inclusion team we are convinced that inclusive business is a better business. Our mission is to support IDB Invest clients in creating a more inclusive business by building inclusive strategies for the employees, supporting the creation of more inclusive products and inclusive value chains. We focus on the inclusion of underrepresented groups such as, but not limited to, gender, indigenous and traditional people, people with disabilities and Afro-descendants.
What you will do:
Focusing on financial intermediary clients (banks, funds, and FinTechs), you will advise them in the creation, implementation and monitoring of their diversity and inclusion programs with a focus on employees, products or value chains. Key activities you will be working on:
Support and advise clients on the creation, implementation and monitoring of their D&I programs across our focus areas and focus themes.
Ensure the delivery of training/workshops programs for clients
Consult with senior leadership teams to support local implementation and delivery, when required
Collaborate with the relevant internal teams to mainstream diversity and inclusion across all IDB Invest areas and ways of working
Draw upon internal and external D&I data and insights to implement targeted initiatives that support the client’s business strategy
Improve IDB Invest external reputation by ensuring representation and public speaking at external events
Lead the participation in third-party surveys to drive external reputation (receiving awards)
Identify global external influencers and stakeholders with which IDB Invest can partner in order to drive initiatives (meetings, conferences, etc.)
Support the team fundraising efforts (donor governments, private foundations, multilateral development banks, other financial institutions)
Collaborate closely with the Communications and HR teams, among others, in order to build a targeted approach in amplifying IDB Invest diversity and inclusion programs
In collaboration with Segment Divisions, support the identification and design of diversity and inclusion interventions
Act as Diversity and Inclusion Advisor for Segment Divisions by building and nurturing relationships with Investment Officers
Handle preparation of lessons learned related to gender and diversity within and outside the IDB Group, including technical input for the design of project-level communication products, including, press release, brochures, knowledge products and IDB Invest’s blog posts.
Skills you will need:
Education: You hold a Master’s Degree in economics, international development, public and/or international affairs, finance, business administration, engineering or other relevant fields.
Experience: You have at least five (5) years of relevant experience working in the field of diversity and inclusion in private sector companies, consultancies or development institutions.
Languages: you are fluent in English and Spanish. Portuguese or French is a plus.
Type of Contract: Staff, fixed-term
Length of Contract: 3 years
Starting Date: As soon as possible
Finance Associate (Thai national only)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Under the overall guidance of the Deputy Director of Financial Management in Headquarters (HQ) and the daily supervision of the Finance Specialist, the Finance Associate is responsible for the execution of a wide range of financial services and administrative processes in the Regional Office (RO), ensuring timeliness, efficiency and transparent use of financial resources and delivery of services in accordance with organizational financial rules, regulations, policies, procedures and approved allocations. The Finance Associate promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UN Women rules and regulations, standard practices and guidelines.
The Finance Associate works in close collaboration with the Operations Team in the Regional Office as well as with the Operations and Programme teams in UN Women HQ for solving complex finance-related issues and information delivery.
1. Provide finance and accounting services and support to the Programme and Operations teams
- Prepare PO and non-PO vouchers for making payments for projects by ensuring correctness, completeness, timeliness, and full compliance to UN Women policies, guidelines, rules and regulations;
- Lead, guide and supervise Finance Assistants in providing timely and quality payment and accounting services to programme teams at Regional Office in Bangkok and Project Offices in designated countries; Review payment transactions prepared by the Finance Assistants to ensure accuracy, completeness and compliance with UN Women policies, guidelines, rules and regulations;
- Monitor and oversee self and team performance to ensure timeliness of payments and other finance and accounting services by doing a regular review of pending incoming requests, and take actions as appropriate;
- Regularly review pending unprocessed vouchers, undertake and ensure corrective actions on unposted vouchers caused by budget check errors, match exceptions and delayed approval;
- Review and make payment of advances to implementing partners. Review, sample check, and record liquidations of advance based on financial reports (FACE) received from partners. Ensure proper verification and certification of the financial reports carried out by project managers and in compliance with UN Women policies and guidelines;
- Prepare General Ledger journal entries (GLJEs) and Accounts Payable Journal Vouchers (APJVs) from proper supporting documents authorized by the budget owners and project managers;
- Ensure partners’ rating is done and verification of FACE supporting documents are carried out according to the partners’ rating as required by the Policy, Procedure and Guidance Framework (PPG);
- Undertake and ensure proper allocation of office rent and other office recurring expenses among all relevant projects;
- Ensure timely processing of VAT exemption documents for eligible vendors’ invoices;
- Provide inputs and take necessary actions to facilitate timely financial project closure;
- Support financial donor reporting by providing timely information and taking necessary actions as required by UN Women Virtual Global Service Centre for financial donor reporting.
- Assist with preparation for Audit of Projects and Partners by third-party audit firm particularly in the preparation of FACE-to-ATLAS reconciliation. Assist in review and response on audit issues, follow-up and/or take actions on audit recommendations to ensure implementation of corrective actions.
- Assist in undertaking capacity assessment on potential partners as a member of the Committee for Partners’ Assessment (CPA) as required by the Policy, Procedure and Guidance Framework (PPG);
- Review accounts receivables for UN Women projects and follow-up with project managers and finance section at the regional office and/or headquarters on contributions, deposits creation in the ERP system and their application to accounts receivables pending items;
- Review and record service fee and cost recovery charged on work done for UN Women by other UN agencies.
2. Manage month-end and year-end account closure
- Take proper actions, follow up, and monitor all the financial items in month-end and year-end closure instructions and checklist through timely and effective coordination with all programme and operations units;
- Oversee and ensure proper handling and control of petty cash fund at Regional office and Project Offices. Ensure monthly petty cash expense report, monthly reconciliation, physical cash count, and replenishment are done timely according to the petty cash policy;
- Manage Staff Advance/Receivables and other balance sheet accounts and related account reconciliations. Ensure timely advance clearance and follow up on outstanding items.
- Monitor advance to implementing partners, ensure and follow up for timely liquidations, with special attention on aged items;
- Monitor month-end and year-end accruals to ensure completeness and accuracy thru coordination with programme colleagues;
- Monitor each month over-expenditure of budgets and follow up for corrective actions with Budget Owner;
- Review transactions in the ERP system (ATLAS), to ensure correct uses of expenditures and other account codes, Ensure payroll and other financial transactions are properly posted, and take correction action as required;
- Coordinate and collect information for reporting of year-end office inventory to HQ;
- Handling of ad-hoc requests and inquiries from HQ.
3. Implement financial strategies, and adapt processes and procedures in full compliance of UN Women rules, regulations, policies, and recording and reporting systems
- Perform duties in full compliance with UN Women financial regulations and rules, policies and standard operating procedures, and internal controls including compliance with the approval authorities as in the Delegation of Authorities (DOA) and Internal Control Framework (ICF) table;
- Keep abreast of and ensure full compliance with amendments to International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS);
- Review and verify financial transactions, activities, and documentation prepared by Finance Assistants; taking corrective actions as needed and reporting any unusual activities;
- Monitor financial exceptions reports for unusual activities or transaction, investigate anomalies and report to the supervisor conclusions and/or present recommendations for actions/decisions;
- Provide advice and recommend solutions to a wide range of financial issues;
- Monitor the proper functioning of the financial resources management system for office and programmatic budgets and resources;
- Implement and monitor cost saving and reduction strategies;
- Respond to instructions from the Chief of Accounts or Finance Section in relation to financial transactions. Undertake timely corrective actions as requested by the Finance Section to resolve financial data issues or provide information;
- Participate as a member of the Regional office team in the internal and external audits of the Regional Office or Country Offices in the region
- Follow-up on audit recommendations to monitor the implementation of corrective actions;
- Actively promote a client-oriented finance service to Regional office and Country offices.
4. Prepare and administer the RO budgets in full compliance of UN Women rules, regulations, policies, and recording and reporting systems
- Formulate budget for management fund of the Regional Office, create a project in the ERP system, monitor fund allocation, monitor expenditures, and prepare budget revisions according to the needs of the RO, and in compliance with UN Women Cost Recovery Policy;
- Assist Project Managers in the monitoring of budget versus expenditures and in timely utilization of budget and fund balances;
- Monitor the setup of budgets in ATLAS by projects to ensure they are in accordance with budgets as agreed with donors and are input into ATLAS at the detailed Activity ID level;
- Track the appropriate and timely use of financial resources and monitor unutilized fund; monitor regularly transactions posted to projects ensuring actual expenditure has been recorded against correct budget category and activity, take timely corrective actions as required;
- Provide assistance in the Annual Work Plan entry in Results Management System (RMS) as required.
5. Facilitate knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Conduct training for UN Women staff to ensure compliance with UN Women financial regulations and rules, policies and standard operating procedures, including internal controls;
- Conduct training for implementing partners to ensure full compliance with UN Women financial reporting requirement (FACE) and UN Women verification of partners’ supporting documents of expenditures reported on FACE, and other finance-related requirements as indicated in the signed partner agreement, as well as preparation for project audit, if applicable;
- Collect and compile lessons learned and best practices in financial management and services. Disseminate to clients and stakeholders as appropriate to build capacity and knowledge;
- Contribute to financial business operational practices and management of new initiatives and innovations.
- Supervise and guide staff and personnel under responsibility, as applicable, provide technical guidance and monitor performance to ensure delivery of results according to plans and standards of accountability and performance;
- Undertake all training in relation to financial management provided, including webinars from headquarters. Actively promote participation in training for all Finance Associates in the country offices in the region.
- Completion of secondary education is required.
- Specialized national or international certification in accounting and finance is preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting is an asset
- Successful completion of UN Women Accounting and Finance Test is required. The test will be conducted during the recruitment process.
- At least 7 years of progressively responsible experience in finance;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and spreadsheet and database packages.
- Experience in the use of web-based ERP financial system (i.e. SAP, PeopleSoft, Oracle, etc.) is desirable;
- UN Experience is an asset.
- Fluency in English and Thai is required
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.