Application closing date: 5 April 2019
UNOPS strategy for Afghanistan is aimed at providing maximum support to the Government and people of Afghanistan though the delivery of projects and services in line with the government’s own priorities. The UNOPS Afghanistan Operation Center (AFOC) has been established as an organizational mechanism to deliver a range of projects for which UNOPS has been designated as the implementation agency. At present, UNOPS AFOC is implementing a number of projects in a range of sectors including infrastructure (roads and schools) development, capacity building to various ministries, and environmental protection, among others, on behalf of the Government of Afghanistan and the donor community.
The functional objective of UNOPS AFOC is to deliver projects in an efficient and effective manner, to achieve the development outcomes sought by the Government of Afghanistan and the donor community, where capacity building is always considered and encouraged. The aim of UNOPS AFOC is to provide implementation services to the Government of Afghanistan, the donor community and partner agencies in the reconstruction and development of the country. In doing so, UNOPS aims to exceed client expectations in the delivery of quality services throughout the country.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
We are currently looking for Afghan nationals with a strong sense of professional and social commitment to join the Kabul Security Infrastructure Project (KSIP) team as Interns. In the Project context, Interns will participate in and contribute to the design, construction and refurbishment of buildings for government counterparts as a part of a team of professional engineers and architects. The Interns will support the experienced professionals by assisting them in various design and construction related tasks, while developing their practical engineering skills to help them in future career development. The Interns will be engaged in activities such as (but not limited to) the following:
- Site visits with other members of the team to assess the current situation of buildings to be refurbished, taking detailed notes and assist senior team members in preparing reports.
- Assist in design drawings and other documentation for building refurbishment work.
- Assist in review of design documentation for building refurbishment and new construction work.
- Assist in supervision of site work conducted by Contractors.
- Assist in contract management including taking site measurements, contract variations, QA/QC inspections, keeping site records, Health, safety and environmental inspections.
- Assist in project procurement matters such as preparing tender documents, tendering, contract negotiations and award.
Education and Qualifications
- Applicants must be (or have been) completing a degree in civil engineering within no more than the last 3 years (before application) from a recognized University in Afghanistan.
- Preferred ‘major area/fields’ of such degree studies are building design and construction.
- Proficiency in contemporary computer applications is required, including sound knowledge of Microsoft Office tools / applications.
No specific experience is required for this position.
- Fluency in English – both written and oral
- Fluency in Dari and Pashtu – written and oral