Chief of Section – OSCE – Pristina, Kosovo
Tasks and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Director and the overall supervision of the Director of the Democratization Department, should you be the selected candidate, you will be responsible for:
- Providing strategic direction and managing the Public Participation Section;
- Advising the Department’s senior management on issues related to civil society, women, youth and non-majority community participation as a component of democratic governance;
- Overseeing and managing the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of all of the Section’s projects;
- Assisting in the development and implementation of the department’s cross-cutting themes of civil society, youth, women and non-majority community participation;
- Co-ordinating and liaising with other department sections, other departments and in the Mission’s Field Offices on crosscutting themes of civil society, youth, women and/or non-majority community participation;
- Supervising all professional and support staff of the Public Participation Section;
- Co-ordinating and overseeing the drafting of reports based on information provided by the Section and the field;
- Co-operating with other international partners, non-governmental organizations, women’s caucuses and youth action councils in developing the Section’s projects;
- Participating in the Department’s and Section’s policy making process;
- Representing the Section in meetings, seminars and/or conferences;
- Engaging in other specific tasks at the discretion of the Director of Department;
- Performing other duties as assigned.
General Minimum Requirements
- Excellent physical condition
- Possession of a valid automobile driving license and ability to drive using manual transmission
- Ability to cope with physical hardship and willingness to work extra hours and in an environment with limited infrastructure
Field of Expertise Requirements
- Work experience in either public administration, relevant international organizations, civic associations (including NGOs), political parties/affairs, or economic and political development
- Demonstrable organizational, communication, analytical and interpersonal skills
Level of Professional Competence Requirements
- Second-level university degree in political sciences, social sciences, international relations, public policy, law or other related field.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two years of additional qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the second-level university degree.
- Minimum 6 years of relevant, diversified and progressively responsible professional experience including at least 3 years at the management level relevant to the actual position
Mission Specific Requirements
- Additionally, this particular post has specific requirements:
- Previous relevant working experience with issues related to civil society, women, youth and non-majority community participation as a component of democratic governance preferably in international environment and/or experience in field missions;
- Proven management and supervisory experience;
- Proven project management experience;
- Professional fluency in English, including excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrated gender awareness and sensitivity, and an ability to integrate a gender perspective into tasks and activities;
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to work as a member of a team, with people of different cultural and religious backgrounds, different gender, and diverse political views, while maintaining impartiality and objectivity;
- Cultural sensitivity and judgement;
- Flexibility and ability to work under pressure and with limited time frames;
- Ability to operate windows applications, including word processing and e-mail.
- Knowledge of the local language or most common lingua franca spoken in the mission area;
- Negotiation/mediation experience.