Purpose of the job:
The Macroeconomic and Statistical Support Unit operates the BIS Data Bank on behalf of, and in cooperation with, its member central banks and provides statistical support to internal customers. Our unit provides a broad range of high-quality up-to-date economic, monetary and financial statistics to economists and statisticians at central banks and the BIS, and to external users through the BIS website. We also support the Secretariat of the Irving Fisher Committee on Central Bank Statistics. Our Statistical Analysts are responsible for all statistical matters relating to a group of reporting central banks and/or a set of statistical topics in the Data Bank.
- Data collection, processing and dissemination
Collects and processes data from some specific sources, in particular macroeconomic time series from central banks but also supervisory authorities; national statistical agencies; other international organisations; and commercial and other private sector institutions and disseminates it to internal and external users;
- Database maintenance
Maintains statistical databases for internal and external users and quality control on data stored in the databases;
- Data analysis and communication
Carries out statistical analysis using appropriate techniques; undertakes conceptual analysis and responds to enquiries and requests from internal and external users;
- Meeting and statistical support
Prepares publication-quality tables and graphs for BIS meetings and publications as well as for the BIS Statistical Bulletin; drafts short notes on specific topics;
- Statistical IT
Participates in testing new statistical applications and implements them in an efficient manner;
- Monitoring of international statistical developments
Follows and studies statistical methodologies and technical developments in central banks, supervisory authorities and various international statistical groups; sets up data and metadata using international standards (e.g. SDMX);
- External representation
Attends international meetings at the BIS or outside to learn about statistical standards and issues;
Carries out other tasks, for instance, with respect to the unit’s internal administration and participates in departmental or bank-wide projects as required.
- Masters degree in economics, finance or statistics;
- or equivalent professional experience as an economist or statistical/research analysts at a central bank or supervisory authority, an academic or other international institution, or a private sector organisation.
- Sound knowledge of statistical methodologies, in particular in relation to national and financial accounts, money and banking, balance of payments, and/or financial statistics;
- Strong understanding of statistical databases and related statistical IT applications and end-user applications (e.g. Tableau, SQL), as well as strong programming skills (e.g. Matlab, Python);
- Experience in regular statistical production and in the assessment and management of data quality, data consistency and data comparability;
- Good analytical skills and ability to learn and keep abreast with new techniques and technologies;
- Strong team spirit;
- Ability to work independently;
- Good communication skills for dealing with internal and external customers;
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
The BIS’s head office is located in Basel, Switzerland, with representative offices in Hong Kong SAR and Mexico City. All new staff members are recruited on a fixed-term basis without expectation either of any contract renewal or conversion. The contract may however be extended or converted to an open-ended one at the end of the term, subject to organisational needs and individual performance. The BIS is fully committed to equal opportunity employment and strives for diversity among its staff.
Application closing date: open until filled