Spotlight Digital Editor (Consultant)
Violence against women and girls is one of the most widespread, persistent and devastating human rights violations in our world today. The Spotlight Initiative is a global, multi-year partnership between European Union and United Nations to eliminate all forms of violence against women and girls by 2030. Launched with a seed funding commitment of €500 million from the European Union, the Initiative represents an unprecedented global effort to invest in gender equality and women’s empowerment as a precondition and driver for the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The Initiative is responding to all forms of violence against women and girls, with a particular focus on domestic and family violence, sexual and gender-based violence and harmful practices, femicide, trafficking in human beings and sexual and economic (labour) exploitation. The Initiative is addressing legislative and policy gaps, strengthen institutions, promote gender-equitable attitudes, and provide quality services for survivors and reparations for victims of violence and their families. Interventions will also strengthen systems for collecting data on violence against women and girls and empower women’s movements.
The Spotlight Initiative is deploying targeted, large-scale investments to eliminate all forms of violence against women and girls in more than 20 countries across Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, Latin America and the Pacific.
Under the stewardship of the UN Deputy Secretary-General, the Spotlight Initiative’s implementing UN agencies are UN Women, UNDP, UNFPA and UNICEF. Other UN agencies, funds and programmes play key roles in implementing it’s programmes, such as ILO under the Initiative’s Safe and Fair programme in the ASEAN region. The Spotlight Initiative Secretariat works in close partnership with the European Commission’s Directorate-General for International Cooperation and Development (DG DEVCO) to develop, plan and execute it programmes, communications and visibility activities.
The Spotlight Initiative Secretariat is based in New York.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Digital Editor will be responsible for conceptualizing, developing, writing, editing and acquiring written and visual content for the global Spotlight Initiative website, digital campaigns and platforms. The Editor will also copy-edit written products, publications and other content as required by the Secretariat.
The Digital Editor ensures that the content is:
- accurate, appropriate, timely and engaging
- conforms to journalistic standards and Spotlight Initiative branding
- provides regional balance across the Initiative’s programme countries
The Digital Editor must be committed to ending all forms of violence against women and girls, be able to work on a team and have excellent judgment both editorially and interpersonally. The incumbent must be able to write and edit fresh, accurate, jargon-free copy on deadline create visibility for the Spotlight Initiative and exercise leadership.
The Digital Editor position will be located at the Spotlight Initiative Secretariat in New York. The incumbent reports directly to the Spotlight Initiative Global Communications Lead.
Plan, research, write, edit and publish stories and content for the Spotlight Initiative website
- Work closely with Spotlight Initiative teams and communications focal points in the field to develop human interest stories
- Work with communications focal points to develop and regularly update content for the website
- Develop and maintain digital content editorial calendar
- Produce innovative and engaging copy for all digital campaigns, including for social media
- Produce written content for the Spotlight Initiative Secretariat as needed
Maintain, monitor and administer Spotlight Initiative website
- Evaluate and test website functionalities and match with user requirements to ensure consistent product quality and performance
- Monitor and review Spotlight Initiative web pages — including regional and country pages — to ensure adherence to the Global Communications and Visibility Strategy, web-writing guidelines and web user manual.
- Scan all content published on website to ensure quality and consistency with web-writing guidelines and the UN Editorial Manual
- Liaise with developers to identify and correct bugs and system issues
- Frequently update and optimize Web user manual
Coordinate the translation of web content
- Develop a translation plan for web content and ensure timely translation of English content into French and Spanish
- Coordinate in-house translation with French- and Spanish-speaking colleagues, as required
- Monitor deadlines and delivery of translations for posting.
Carries out any duties assigned by the Spotlight Initiative Global Communications Lead or the Head of the Technical Unit.
- Respect for Diversity
- Effective Communications
- Self-Management/Emotional Intelligence
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Results Orientation
- Ability to produce (write or edit) fresh, accurate, jargon-free and reader-friendly copy on deadline
- Outstanding writing and copy-editing skills,
- Job Knowledge/Technical expertise
- Familiarity with and ability to learn web content management systems
Required Skills and Experience
- Superb writing and editing skills, including a strong understanding of online storytelling, as well as a strong fact-checking and copy-editing background
- Either advanced university degree in Journalism, Communications, International Development or similar field, or equivalent work experience
- Preferred at least 5 years of relevant professional experience in news reporting, journalistic writing, editing or communications. Preferred at least 3 years spent at the international level
- Knowledge of web development and content management systems, with grasp of design basics and an understanding of modern web standards, communication principles and social media platforms
- Knowledge of international development issues
- Fluency in English, with excellent drafting abilities and editorial skills required
- Knowledge of another UN language (French or Spanish) is an asset.
Application closing date: 22dn September 2019 ( Midnight New York, USA)