See below for the latest World Maritime University Careers and Job opportunities:
The World Maritime University (WMU) in Malmö, Sweden is a postgraduate maritime university founded by the International Maritime Organization (IMO), a specialized agency of the United Nations.
Established by an IMO Assembly Resolution in 1983, the aim of WMU is to further enhance the objectives and goals of IMO and IMO member states around the world through education, research, and capacity building to ensure safe, secure, and efficient shipping on clean oceans. WMU is truly an organization by and for the international maritime community.
The University operates on the basis of a Charter adopted by the IMO Assembly, and is accountable to the IMO Secretary-General, Council and Assembly, and to an international Board of Governors composed of representatives of some 50 different governmental, industry, labour and educational bodies. The University presents its annual report and budget to the IMO Council and also reports to the biennial session of the IMO Assembly. WMU receives the status, privileges and immunities of a UN institution in Sweden.
As the International Maritime Organization’s centre of excellence for postgraduate maritime education, WMU’s mission is to be the world centre of excellence in postgraduate maritime and oceans education, professional training and research, while building global capacity and promoting sustainable development.
WMU offers a unique postgraduate educational program, undertakes wide-ranging research in maritime and environmental studies, and continues maritime capacity building. Working closely with our stakeholders, including IMO, the maritime industry, national maritime administrations, and NGOs, WMU is positioned to:
- Help build a more environmentally sensitive and sustainable world through education and research in the maritime sector
- Educate future global maritime leaders
- Contribute to maritime capacity building and the development of effective policies of equal opportunity for the global maritime community
- Provide an international focus and forum for networking and collaboration on critical issues and developments in maritime transportation worldwide
WMU bases its work around nine core values:
- Leadership – Serve as global maritime leaders in education and research
- Integrity – Act equitably, impartially, and fairly in all actions
- Respect – Behave professionally and earn respect of others, both within and outside the organization
- Collaboration – Develop and maintain effective working relationships and strong partnerships at all levels
- Innovation – Treat problem solving and work tasks with ingenuity
- Transparency – Encourage open communication and provide access to maritime information
- Accountability – Promote greater accountability
- Efficiency – Strive for timely, cost-effective, and accurate results
- Compliance – Ensure that policies are implemented and adhered to
- Sustainability – Support sustainable development goals for the maritime transport the marine environment sectors as well as sustainability-oriented actions by WMU
With the University’s new strategic directions, specifically expansion of its mandate to include ocean-related matters, and strengthening ocean research, WMU is well positioned for this collaborative partnership with the Nippon Foundation.
The WMU-Sasakawa Global Ocean Institute (Ocean Institute) has been established within the framework of the WMU. It is to be a world-leading center of excellence for ocean research, dialogue, capacity building and policy support in meeting ocean obligations, addressing existing and emerging challenges, and seizing the opportunities inherent in contemporary ocean governance and the 2015 sustainable development commitments.Visit World Maritime University (WMU)