Position Title: Senior Banker, Financial Institution 1 (FI1)
Division/Department: Financial Institutions
Type of Position: Professional
Job Posted: 11/06/2019
Closing Date: 25/06/2019, 17:30 (Greece Time)
Post Location: Thessaloniki, Greece
Appointment Type: Three-year fixed term appointment
All candidates applying for employment with the BSTDB should have excellent command of written and spoken English and have excellent Microsoft Office Skills.
It is the BSTDB’s policy to offer equal employment opportunities to qualified candidates regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities.
The front office trade finance specialist assists with the setup, roll out and expansion of documentary trade finance and direct trade finance operations.
Predominantly the focus is on trade finance, screening, originating, structuring, negotiating, executing and implementing BSTDB’s financial products in private sector with banks and non-bank financial institutions and selectively with corporates on a case by case basis.
Key functions and Responsibilities
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Director of the Financial Institutions, the Senior Banker will be responsible for the development of a documentary trade finance portfolio, as well as origination, structuring and closing of transactions using the full range of financial structures and instruments in order to contribute significantly to the development, execution and management of the financial institution’s portfolio.
The Senior Banker acts both as a senior member of a project team or as an operation leader (OL). The Senior Banker’s role also includes elements of business/pipeline development, and client management.
The Senior Banker builds and maintains relationships with internal and external stakeholders in relation to business development, project execution, implementation and monitoring, policy dialogue, co-financing arrangements and donor funding, as applicable.
More specifically the Senior Banker:
- Participates in annual promotion and business development activities of the Bank, assists in the identification of potential clients, and business partners for co-financing operations, attends meetings, seminars or trainings and maintains contacts and database with potential clients, advisors, IFIs and other international banks.
- Identifies eligible new clients, identifies the need of existing financial intermediaries as Operation Leader (OL), offers trade finance products, and creates a pipeline, reviews project proposals from the potential clients.
- Leads structuring, prepares the term-sheet, obtains clearance from other units/departments, negotiates with clients.
- Prepares material for and presents projects to the Credit Committee and the Board of Directors.
- Leads and coordinates the preparation of the legal documents, leads negotiations and agrees on the execution copy of the legal documents, by working with clients, authorities, consultants and internal units/departments.
- Works closely with clients and relevant internal units/departments for the successful processing documentary Trade Finance (TF) operations, including revolving TF disbursements.
- Closely monitors the clients’ developments and proactively seeks interventions in case of necessity (i.e. preparation of amendments, consent and waiver requests), coordinates information to all transaction/loan parties, both internal and external, including meeting deadlines, time schedules, contributes to the SMRs/OCRs as OL or Alternate OL, and participates at annual on-site monitoring visits to existing clients, and also participates at corporate recovery working groups.
- Provides technical guidance, trains and coaches junior colleagues.
- Professionalism: maintains a level of expertise and professional knowledge commensurate with the respective position and job description.
- Results Orientation: demonstrates ability for achieving results against an internal or external standard of excellence.
- Communication and interaction with impact: Transfers efficiently and effectively information and messages, wields effective tactics for persuasion.
- Client/stakeholder orientation – ensures appropriate service of high standard to internal and/or external customers and develops constructive and sustainable business/ customer relationships.
- Teamwork: effectively cooperates with others aiming at the achievement of team objectives.
- Cultural sensitivity/Diversity: supports and promotes an environment that holds opportunities for all, regardless of race, gender, culture and age.
- Integrity: maintains standards of objectivity, independence and discretion. Behaves ethically and in consistency with institutional core values.
- Accountability: exhibits a strong sense of responsibility for one’s work and resulting consequences.
- Innovation and change: is open to and applies novel ideas and thinking to improve processes, methods, systems or services. Accepts and adapts to changes.
- Critical thinking: clarifies goals, examines assumptions, evaluates evidence, accomplishes actions, and assesses conclusions.
Required knowledge, Skills and Experience
- First-level University degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Economics, Banking, Finance or Accounting, Risk Management; or a first-level University degree in any other area followed by a master’s degree or equivalent in the above areas.
- Knowledge of documentary trade finance; documentary letters of credit (LCs); trade-related standby LCs from issuing banks; deferred payment LCs; and LCs with post-financing advance payment bonds and payment guarantees.
- Minimum 8 years of relevant working experience in i) corporate/project finance/structured finance group/department of a major international investment/merchant, commercial or development bank or similar financial institutions; or ii) an international corporation or institution having BSTDB’s sector specialty.
- Minimum 3 out of the 8 years of required experience should be in Trade Finance, ideally within the banking sector where s/he has gained high-level transaction skills in negotiating, issuing, and advising standby and trade letters of credit for domestic and international transactions.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Knowledge and understanding of International Chamber of Commerce Rules and Regulations for Documentary Letters of Credit, Standby Letters of Credit, Documentary Bills for Collection, Uniform Rules for Reimbursement, and International Standard Banking Practices.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Economics, Banking, Finance or Accounting, Risk Management.
- Professional qualification such as ACA, CFA, ACCA, or CIMA.
- Command of a member country language.
- Have a risk management and control focus with a high level of personal accountability and ownership of their role.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to interact effectively with internal/external clients.
- Highly motivated professional, possessing strong analytical thinking, problem-solving skills, and attention to detail.
- Negotiation and presentation skills.
- Credit analysis skills, with the ability to interpret accounts, understanding local and international accounting principles and practice of credit analysis.
- Sound level of banking/lending skills with a strong credit background and demonstrable competence in structuring and executing transactions.
- Ability to prioritize, plan own work and maintain high productivity to meet tight deadlines.
- Experience in negotiating, issuing, and advising standby and trade LCs for domestic and international transactions.
- Experience in the region of the BSTDB’s operations.
- Some experience in screening, origination, structuring, negotiation and execution of debt transactions.
For a candidate to participate in the competitive selection for this position, s/he must meet at least the following minimum requirements:
First-level University degree or equivalent in Business Administration, Economics, Banking, Finance or Accounting, Risk Management; or a first-level University degree in any other area followed by a master’s degree or equivalent in the above areas.
Minimum 8 years of relevant working experience in i) corporate/project finance/structured finance group/department of a major international investment/merchant, commercial or development bank or similar financial institutions; or ii) an international corporation or institution having BSTDB’s sector specialty.