Manage the development and implementation of the Jordan programmes and support functions to facilitate the implementation of the country programme strategy. Providing leadership, strategic direction, management and evaluation of all aspects of the programmes and support functions, the Deputy Country Director plays a key role in external representation, legal compliance and team leadership.
In response to the ongoing crisis in Syria, Medair’s programme in Jordan is delivering emergency assistance to refugees in non-camp settings and vulnerable host communities in northern Jordan. Projects are in the sectors of Cash Assistance, Health and Livelihoods.
Field based position in Amman, Jordan. Take a look at Medair’s work in Jordan.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
July 2017. Full time, 24 months
Key Activity Areas
Programme Management & Programme Support Management
- Facilitate cross cutting communications between the programme teams and the support functions.
- Support in all aspects of project management, administrative, human resource and logistics management, ensuring adherence to applicable operational systems and donor requirements.
- Prepare and implement policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Ensure all in-country legal requirements are met including registration, reporting, insurance, work permits, contracts, etc., liaising as necessary with government departments and other official bodies.
- Oversee the overall implementation of the designated projects ensuring objectives are met within the required time frame and budget. Where necessary ensure preventative and corrective action is taken.
- Ensure that regular monitoring and evaluation assessments against project objectives are conducted.
- Maintain an overview of the country context with a view to the strategic development of new projects.
- Develop an implementation strategy which is appropriate to the country context and strategy
- Ensure complete and timely reporting of activities to Medair, donors and line managers.
- Co-represent Medair Jordan in the Middle-East Region Programme.
- Maintain relationships with relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, donors, UN agencies and other NGOs) and represent Medair at relevant meetings in order to facilitate and ensure cooperation and partnerships.
- Seek out and actively participate in relevant local networks on specific humanitarian aid issues.
- Accompany donors on field trips and ensure information is transmitted in a professional manner.
- Line manage designated staff, including direct supervision and development.
- Facilitate regular team meetings and develop and build an effective team.
- Develop direct reports to improve their knowledge competence and performance.
- Ensure all staff members and visitors receive on-going training in security-related topics.
- Oversee and monitor staff adherence to security protocols, including security incident reports.
- Ensure security plans and protocols for the programme locations are updated and implemented.
- Develop and maintain a transparent, honest and supportive communication structure with colleagues to ensure they are kept informed of support related activities and requirements.
- Promote and use the Medair e-library and other operating procedures, ensuring that all standardised formats are used and guidelines are followed.
- Promote and facilitate Information Management in the Programme where it has added value and stimulate and contribute to learning across Medair and in specific the MER region.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international programmes and HQ prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / Business Administration or in a relevant technical subject.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- At least 2 post-qualification experience in a management position.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere and HAP Standards.
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills.
- Advanced leadership and management skills.
- Amman and surrounding areas offer a wide range of opportunities for exploring Jordan’s heritage.
- The team lives in comfortable apartments located near the office, which offer some space for privacy.
Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles sought for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
- Benefits Package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS)