Application closing date: 3 July 2019
Personal Assistant to the Executive Director
The European Maritime Safety Agency was established for the purpose of ensuring a high, uniform and effective level of maritime safety, maritime security as well as prevention of and response to pollution by ships within the EU.
The idea of a European Maritime Safety Agency (EMSA) originated in the late 1990s along with a number of other important European maritime safety initiatives. EMSA was set up as the regulatory agency that would provide a major source of support to the Commission and the Member States in the field of maritime safety and prevention of pollution from ships.
4. Functions and Duties
The Personal Assistant to the Executive Director, under the responsibility of the Head of the Executive Office, will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Assisting in the overall administration of the Executive Director’s office and in particular with all maritime-related stakeholders;
- Planning the Director’s agenda with appropriate consultation of the operational Units;
- Organising, attending and taking minutes at meetings organized by EMSA with the relevant maritime stakeholders;
- Organising missions including accommodation and transport reservation and preparing the reimbursement of mission expenses for the Executive Director;
- Preparing and gathering operational documents and information files for missions, conferences and external meetings for the Executive Director;
- Answering and filtering the Executive Director’s calls, taking messages, responding to general enquiries, including those related to maritime issues;
- Liaising with Heads of Unit and Heads of Department to prepare draft answers to correspondence for the Executive Director;
- Drafting, correcting, proofreading, copying and typing correspondence, operational reports, meeting documents, minutes etc.;
- Ensuring quality control of outgoing and internal correspondence: Ensuring compliance with EMSA’s corporate identity;
- Handling correspondence and ensuring the appropriate follow-up, including recording incoming and outgoing correspondence through the relevant electronic tools;
- Developing proposals for the improvement of internal administrative procedures.
5. Eligibility and Selection Criteria
A. ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
Qualifications and experience required:
- A level of post-secondary education of an official duration of three years attested by a diploma, or;
- A level of secondary attested by a diploma giving access to post-secondary education, and appropriate professional experience of at least three years.
- At least three years of proven professional experience acquired after the award of the diploma when the normal duration of studies is three years. When the official duration of the post-secondary studies is less than three years, the difference in time is to be compensated by additional professional experience after the award of the diploma;
- At least six years of professional experience acquired after the award of the diploma for a secondary education giving access to post-secondary education. The three years mentioned in A.1. Education is included in this 6 year period.
A.3. Language skills;
The main working language in the field of maritime safety is English. Candidates must, therefore, have a very good command of oral English as well as in writing with a satisfactory knowledge of at least one other official language of the European Union to the extent necessary for the performance of the above-mentioned duties.
B. SELECTION CRITERIA
- At least three years of proven relevant professional experience in a high-level Assistant position to a Senior Manager, Head of Department, Director, Director-General or equivalent. Candidates should specifically mention on their CV the range of tasks covered, the level of work done and their relevance to the functions and duties of this vacancy notice;
- Work Experience in the maritime sector. Candidates should specifically mention on their CV the range of tasks covered, the level of work done and their relevance to the functions and duties of this vacancy notice;
- Proficiency in relevant technologies including MS Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook), the use of a PC and other relevant office equipment. Candidates should specifically mention on their CV how they use these applications and for what purpose in their work.
- Professional experience in the EU Institutions/bodies or Agencies or in a Public Administration;
- Knowledge of other EU languages.
Applicants must meet the required eligibility criteria concerning the required educational qualifications and years of experience, as well as the essential criteria by the deadline for this call for applications.
In addition to the requirements above, candidates invited to the interview and test phase may also be assessed against the following supplementary requirements:
- Good organisational and interpersonal skills as well as the ability to deal with people tactfully;
- Very good organisational skills;
- Service-orientated with a strong customer-focused approach to work, demonstrating responsiveness and flexibility;
- Ability to clearly communicate in an effective manner with colleagues, superiors and external contacts at different levels;
- Motivated with a capacity to work with minimum supervision;
- Sense of initiative and responsibility;
- A high level of confidentiality;
- Ability to work under pressure and to deliver within precise deadlines and to prioritise tasks.
6. General Conditions
In order to be eligible the candidate must:
- Be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union or of Iceland or Norway;
- Be entitled to your full rights as a citizen;
- Have fulfilled the obligations imposed on you by the laws concerning military service;
- Meet the character requirements for the duties involved; and
- Be physically fit to perform the duties linked to the post.
7. Conditions of Employment
The Personal Assistant to the Executive Director will be appointed by the Executive Director, upon recommendation of the Chairperson of the Selection Committee.
This vacancy notice concerns a Temporary Agent position, pursuant to Article 2 f) of the Conditions of Employment of other servants of the European Communities.
The initial duration of the contract is three years, with the possibility of renewal.
The successful candidate will be recruited in the grade AST2.
The basic monthly salary, before any deductions or allowances, weighted for Lisbon, at 1 July 2018 for grade AST2 first step is 2832.61EUR.
In addition to the basic salary, staff members may be entitled to various allowances, such as an expatriation allowance (16% of basic salary), household allowance, dependent child allowance and education allowance. The salary is subject to a Community tax deducted at source and staff members are exempt of national taxation.
Please note that recruitment is done in the first or second step of the indicated grade, depending on the duration of the acquired professional experience. EMSA offers a comprehensive welfare package including pension scheme, medical, accident and occupational disease insurance coverage, unemployment and invalidity allowance. Further information regarding rights and conditions of employment can be found in the following document.
Please note that in line with the Staff Regulations recruited candidates shall be required to demonstrate before their first promotion the ability to work in a third European Community language.
The place of employment is Lisbon, Portugal.
Candidates are advised that if they are offered a post, and accept, they must undergo a compulsory medical examination to establish that they meet the standard of physical fitness necessary to perform the duties involved.