Climate-smart Livestock Specialist
Tasks and responsibilities:
Under the overall supervision of the FAO Representative in Egypt (FAOR), direct supervision of the FAO Project Manager/FFS Specialist, in close collaboration with the relevant technical and programme units in FAO’s Regional Office for the Near East and North Africa (RNE) in Cairo and international and national consultants of the Project Implementation Unit (PIU) and in co-operation with national counterparts (mainly the Ministry of Agriculture and Land Reclamation (MoALR) and SAIL Project Management Unit at national and governorate levels):
- Promote sustainable innovative and improved climate-smart livestock production practices and technologies among FFSs members (smallholder men and women farmers) across the project-targeted areas.
- Development of livestock FFS training curriculum, and extension materials.
- Training of master trainers and Livestock FFS facilitators.
- Design of animal health and production input packages to support group-based FFS study plots and on-farm experimental plots.
- Provide technical backstopping to Project’s master trainers, Co-ordinators and facilitators with follow-up , coaching and mentoring where necessary..
- Regularly review the progress of FFS implementation and farmers’ experience and adoption of the selected innovative and improved climate-smart livestock production
- Prepare all relative technical reports needed by project Manager.
- Undertake duty travel and perform other related tasks as required by the Project Manager.
- Prepare and deliver progress and final of assignment reports for approval of the Project Manager, FAOR and FAO’s Lead Technical Officer for the Project.
- Advanced university degree in agriculture, veterinary science, livestock health and production animal husbandry extension or related discipline.
- Ten years of relevant experience in Animal production development and familiar with FFS approaches specially for rural women.
- Working knowledge of English and fluency in Arabic.
- National of Egypt or resident in the country with a regular work permit.