The Major Gift Manager’s core responsibility is to service and steward existing donor relationships to ensure growth in donations and high donor satisfaction and retention rates. He/she is also the lead in on-going new major donor acquisition ($1000+) and in making the “ask” and closing agreements with supporters. As such the Major Gifts Manager is responsible for increasing FINCA Canada’s footprint in the west and the Maritimes, finding donor leads, following up on them and developing donor referral networks. Donor leads are the lifeblood of a Major Gifts Manager. Without them, no donor acquisition can be made. As a result, the Major Gift Manager will spend his/her day making phone calls, visiting donors, or meeting with potential donors.
He/she is responsible for developing and implementing a clear fundraising strategy for each donor/lead on his/her portfolio including cultivation and solicitation timeline, and a clear program to steward the donor onto a new gift or repeat donations. He/she is the lead in maintaining the relationship and all knowledge/information on assigned donor portfolio. He/she is also responsible for grant management, proposal and report writing and donor research. He/she is responsible for meeting the yearly fundraising targets assigned to him/her.
Include the following:
- Meet fundraising targets, (cash and pro-bono/in-kind and restricted/unrestricted) as assigned.
- Personally solicit and close gifts.
- Prepare the Executive Director to solicit gifts, as necessary.
- Cultivate relationships with decision-makers for major proposals and asks.
- Develop and implement fundraising and recognition events on a range of scales and in a variety of locations as per Operating Plan strategy
- Identify opportunities for Planned Giving (bequests, insurance, and other complex gifts).
Research & Prospecting
- Support Board members to maximize their effectiveness as fundraisers and ambassadors.
- Develop a system for ongoing identification of donor “suspects” and determine those who can become donor “prospects”.
- Align vetted donor “prospects” with FINCA Canada needs and make sure buy-in with key internal stakeholders is done first.
- Establish contact with potential donors as per recommendation of research done (through a letter of intent, a phone call or introduction to decision-makers via current key stakeholders).
- Adjust content of sales presentations by studying the type of donor and their interests.
- Using knowledge of donor, determine subject and scope of future solicitation.
Cultivation & Stewardship
- Cultivate relationships with prospective and current donors through regular, proactive communications preferably in person or through the phone.
- Provide timely and personalized acknowledgements of donor contributions.
- Organize initiatives that build FINCA Canada’s capacity to benefit from assigned donor portfolio, including meetings and presentations through which FINCA Canada can network with and inform stakeholders.
- Respond timely to inquiries from donors and potential donors.
- Maintain proposal and reporting deadline calendar to ensure donor requirements are being met; communicate any changes, problems, variations etc. to donor in timely manner.
- Resolve donor complaints by investigating problems, developing solutions, preparing reports, making recommendation to management.
- Negotiate with donor as needed until contract signed.
Strategic and Operational Planning
- Responsible for making sure that proposals being developed adhere to the donor’s interests and understanding and are aligned with FINCA Canada’s interests.
- Quarterly, and until donation is secured, review the strategic plan for assigned donor portfolio and revise as needed.
- Develop the annual plan that describes the operating objectives, structure and budget (income and expense) for assigned donors.
- Report to Executive Director on performance against plan per reporting criteria.
- Guide due diligence process for proposals as required.
- Manage and record all fundraising activity in Raiser’s Edge software in accordance with reporting and performance measurement policy.
- Establish and adhere to process, systems and policies for cultivating and stewarding assigned constituents.
- Provides historical records by maintaining records on portfolio of donors.
- Keep FINCA up-to-date on major trends that may affect FINCA Canada’s relationship with donor portfolio.
- Keep Management (ED) informed by submitting activity and results reports, such as daily call reports, weekly work plans and monthly and annual portfolio analyses.
- Monitor competition by gathering current marketplace information on products, new products, expansion, marketing techniques, etc.
- Recommend changes in marketing materials, strategies, etc. by evaluating results and competitive developments.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops and reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
This person has dotted line supervisory responsibility for the Donor Services Coordinator.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Strategic Thinking – Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Understands organization’s strengths & weaknesses; Analyzes market and competition; Identifies external threats and opportunities; Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
Judgment – Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
Motivation – Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
Quality – Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Seeks ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
Oral Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
Written Communication – Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
Teamwork – Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others’ views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team environment; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone’s efforts to succeed.
- Motivation for Sales
- Knowledge of fundraising, poverty alleviation and financial inclusion
- Ability to design and implement fundraising strategies in support of program development
- Donor prospecting Skills Ability to network effectively with diplomacy and tact amid influential and diverse groups
- Presentation Skills
- Client Relationships
- Closing Skills to meet fundraising goals
- Customer Service
- Portfolio Management
- A profound sense of ethics and respect for confidentiality of donor information
- Ability to prioritize and manage competing responsibilities
- Field experience a plus
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Master’s degree or equivalent work experience in fundraising, sales, public policy, international development or related field.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in the sector.
- Experience managing diverse donor portfolio from 1-1 pitch to complex proposal development.
- Outstanding interpersonal, oral and written communication skills with proven ability to absorb and synthesize very complex substantive information to effectively engage with donors during extensive face-to-face solicitation and stewardship meetings.
- Ability to effectively write proposals, reports, and correspondence.
- Clear and concise communicator; able to deliver impactful messages verbally and in writing.
- High proficiency with Microsoft Office and accounting software is requisite.
- Proficiency with Raiser’s Edge.
- Working proficiency in social media preferred.
- Fluency in English required. French fluency preferred.
- Strategic and operational plans for assigned donor portfolio completed on-time and of high-quality.
- Meet or surpass fundraising targets for assigned donor portfolio.
- Deliver all fundraising pitches and/or proposals to specifications.
- Develop and grow FINCA’s existing relationships within assigned donor portfolio.
- Complete Raiser’s Edge records for assigned donor portfolio.
Donor portfolio, key FINCA International and FINCA Impact Finance staff, FINCA Canada’s Ambassadors and Board of Directors and additional stakeholders as assigned.
Availability to travel or be out of the office meeting with donors up to 40% of the time.