Recruiters representing MSF will be available at our next event. Register here
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) / أطباء بلا حدود is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organization that delivers emergency aid to people in 70 countries who are affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural disasters and exclusion from healthcare. MSF offers assistance to people based on need, irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation and our actions are guided by medical ethics and the principles of neutrality and impartiality.
We offer basic healthcare, perform surgery, fight epidemics, rehabilitate and run hospitals and clinics, carry out vaccination campaigns, operate nutrition centres, and provide mental healthcare. Our activities include the treatment of injuries and disease, maternal care and the provision of humanitarian aid. Where necessary, we set up sanitation systems, supply safe drinking water, and distribute relief to assist survival.
Working overseas with (MSF) means that you will go to work in projects in any of the countries where MSF works. Each project you go to will require a certain period of commitment (6 to 12 months). It also means that you will need the flexibility to adjust to unfamiliar food, living quarters, pace of life, and languages. Projects may be located in the most remote places in the world, often in harsh environments with limited resources and amenities.
Regardless of where you go, it might be a very different lifestyle. Working in an unfamiliar culture inevitably involves challenges in communication and perceptions. Being aware that people may not act or think like you, accepting this, and being able to adapt your own behaviours if required, is of utmost importance when working in the field. A special camaraderie emerges amongst members of a project team who come from different countries, backgrounds and experience. This creates a shared sense of purpose, sparking ingenuity and resourcefulness in getting things done, and a lot of spontaneous fun.
Name: Gynecologist (females are encouraged to apply)
Whether Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF)/ أطباء بلا حدود project is a response to an emergency or longer-term, provision of reproductive health care will very often be a component.
Among other reproductive health activities, MSF teams conduct antenatal consultations, assist in deliveries (including Cesarean section), provide prevention of mother-to-child transmission (PMTCT) treatment to HIV-positive pregnant women, and care for patients suffering from sexual violence-related injuries. Additionally, a number of MSF programs offer specialist obstetric repair surgery for women with vaginal fistula.
As an ob-gyn on an MSF mission, your clinical skills and resourcefulness will be put to the test. You will work to diagnose and treat medical conditions not commonly found, often without the resources you may be accustomed to having on hand. You can expect to perform both emergency and planned ob-gyn surgeries, manage obstetric complications (such as instrumental deliveries), manage post-operative follow-up, and train and support both surgical and midwifery staff. You will also need to learn cross-cultural issues surrounding childbirth.
- In collaboration with the team of midwives, as an obstetrician / gynecologist, you’re coordinating and organizing the obstetrics and gynecology department.
- You provide care to the patients requiring an obstetrical follow-up (secondary health care, primary health care being taken care of by the midwife).
- You’re also responsible for the training of the paramedical personnel.
- Completed residency in obstetrics and gynecology and proof of admittance to the profession
- Ultrasound knowledge
- Medical ethics,
- Cultural sensitivity,
- Openness and flexibility,
- Ability to live and work as a team,
- Ability to manage stress,
- Availability: MSF requires a minimum of a 2 years commitment.
- Arabic, English and/or French.
What we offer:
- A fixed-term contract
- Monthly pay salary during the mission
- A daily allowance (per diem) during the mission
- Medical coverage
- Payment of all mission-related expenses (transport, accommodation)
- The opportunity to work and quickly take on responsibilities in humanitarian situations and varied medical programs
- Personalized career development, with access to different levels of training, in order to grow within the organization.
Kindly apply through our recruitment page: msf-egypt.org/en/work-abroad
In your application please specify that you found out about this opportunity on GCFjobs.com