Location: Kuito, Bié, Angola Duration: 3 months Start-up date: immediately/according to availability Salary: up to 1.590 USD/month + accommodation, insurance and travel expenses covered Languages: Intermediate Portuguese, Advanced or Intermediate English
People in Need (PIN) has been active in Angola since 2006. With a team of 10 expatriates and approx. 70 local staff, it manages programs focusing on improving education, livelihoods and food security, water sanitation and hygiene (WASH) conditions and gender-based violence. PIN programs are managed from its head office in Kuito, Bié province and field office in Huambo province.
A PIN Volunteer is a professional in the areas of Information Technology who, on the one hand is looking to further enrich his/her career path in the field of systems analysis, while on the other hand is capable of transmitting her/his skills to local, national staff in a period of 3-months.
Tasks and responsibilities
- Diagnose and fix network, internet and equipment problems
- Evaluate and assess the capacity and operation of communication systems
- Provide solutions that help optimize network and internet performance through formal analysis.
- Monitor computer processing systems
- Address incidents and service requests to improve the efficiency of PIN-AGO operations
- Install software and perform tests on computer equipment and programs.
- Set up computer equipment, schedule maintenance
- Perform minor equipment repairs
- Procure IT hardware.
- Oversee the process of installation, operation and maintenance of IT infrastructure configuration and administration of servers
- Monitor and handle cyber security issues.
- Monitor Data Migration across servers and ensure data consistency and integrity.
- Evaluation of IT proposals and requests received from PIN Prague HQ.
- Continuous communication with the Prague HQ IT department.
- Train local IT assistant so s/he will later on be able to take on the duties as IT Officer upon the PIN-Vs departure from the mission.
- The above list is only indicative.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelors of Science in Information Technology, Computer Science and or Certified IT Specialist
- At least 3 years of experience in information systems, internet management and network assessment.
- Demonstrates excellent ability to write and communicate orally with accuracy and professionalism
- Experience working in non-governmental organizations is highly desirable.
- Ability to effectively transfer knowledge and train others
- Easily communicates complex IT language to different constituencies with varying degrees of tech know-how.
Critical Success Factors
- Trustworthy, honest, responsible and meticulous (focus on details)
- Structured, and well-organized
- Strategic thinker
- Respect for local, common practices and idiosyncrasies
- Intercultural sensitivity
- Easy-going with a good sense of humor
- Experience within the region with an understanding of local dynamics is a plus
- Background of a well-established organization
- Reimbursement of travel expenses
- Reimbursement of costs of visas and vaccinations
- Medical helpdesk available online
- Travel insurance
- Accommodation is in PIN guesthouse on PIN expenses