The Junior Staff Accountant will work closely together with the Chief Financial Officer on regular and ad-hoc projects. Additionally, the Junior Staff Accountant will be responsible for a set of regular duties related to the different functions performed by the Finance Department. At the direction of the Chief Financial Officer, the Junior Staff Accountant will be designated to be the primary back-up for other positions within the Finance Department.
- The Junior Staff Accountant is a member of the Finance Department.
- The Junior Staff Accountant reports to the Chief Financial Officer.
Provides support to the Finance Department with the annual financial audit and audit of U.S. government-funded programs in compliance with the Single Audit Act.
- Provides support to the Finance Department with the preparation and submission of the annual IRS Form 990.
Performs duties related to contracts, budgets, grant payments and closings, reconciliations, reporting to stakeholders/donors, investment portfolio, revenue, expense, payables, receivables, and any other function within Finance Department as assigned and/or reassigned from time to time to meet the deadlines and objectives of the Finance Department.
Provides support and works with internal/external customers.
Acts as the primary back-up for other positions within the department as assigned and reassigned from time to time.
Maintains and develops the technical accounting expertise necessary for position responsibilities. Represents Finance on any committee and/or sub-committee as needed.
Maintains appropriate working paper and file documentation for all work products.
Prepares and maintains up-to-date, written, fully-explanatory desk procedures for all task responsibilities.
Ensures excellent customer service by providing timely and accurate information to stakeholders as needed and in a polite/professional manner at all times.
Undertakes other ah-hoc responsibilities as assigned.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for performance of the position responsibilities. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statements of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements nor meant to exclude other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in finance or accounting.
- Superior analytical skills.
- Proven ability to be a team player, self-started and motivated in performing the duties and responsibilities of the job and the goals of the Finance Department.
- Experience using automated accounting and office programs, such as Financial Edge, Raiser’s Edge, GIFTS, Microsoft Officer, etc. is desired.
- Ability to understand, analyze, and interpret donor guidelines, financial reports, and legal documents. Knowledge of internal control procedures and practices.
- Willingness to work hands-on as a cooperative and collaborative member.
- Flexibility, willingness and ability to respond to a rapidly changing environment.
- Intellectual curiosity and the desire and ability to develop new knowledge, skills, and abilities as needed to perform the position’s responsibilities.
- Strong communications and written skills.
- Ability to handle confidential information discreetly.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and to meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to work in culturally-diverse environment.
- Ability to work under pressure and handle stress.
- Ability to meet regular attendance/tardiness policy.