Application closing date: 20 November 2018
Primary Location: Belgium-Brussels
NATO Body: NATO International Staff (NATO IS)
Salary (Pay Basis): 6,783.81Euro (EUR) Monthly
Are you a confident professional French and English conference interpreter with a double A or AB combination?
Would you enjoy playing an active role at the highest level of the diplomatic congress of nations, dealing with the most sensitive political and security issues shaping our world – issues that are sometimes best kept behind closed doors? Do you enjoy team work and the freedom to travel?
If so, join our interpretation team, now in a cutting edge building in the heart of Europe.
Within the Executive Management Division, the Interpretation and Conference Services includes all the components found in established International Organisations for the provision of modern conference services, including bookings, planning and coordination, and the provision of technical multimedia support, room preparation and interpretation for all official NATO languages and others on request.
You will provide simultaneous and consecutive interpretation from and into English and French for meetings at NATO Headquarters (HQ) and on missions abroad to which she/he is assigned. S/he will provide support to the Interpretation Service as a whole and assist in various activities as required. You will report to an LI-4 Senior Interpreter Team Leader.
2. Qualifications and experience
- hold a university degree or equivalent, complemented by confirmed conference interpretation skills;
- possess the following minimum levels of NATO’s official languages (English/French): VI (“Proficiency”) in both;
- have at least 2 years’ experience as a simultaneous conference interpreter, interpreting from English to French and French to English;
familiar with global political and military affairs, security and defence matters, International Organisations and the relevant terminology.
The following would be considered an advantage:
- both English and French as mother tongues (AIIC ‘A’ language);
- a degree in Conference Interpretation from a recognised institution.
3. Main accountabilities
Prepare for NATO committee meetings requiring interpretation, on a variety of subject matters that may be politically sensitive or highly complex, such as technical, political, economic, administrative and budgetary matters, using all the available tools developed for and by interpreters.
Planning and Execution
Improve on service delivery and quality by developing and maintaining a deep understanding of the Organization at large (including processes and procedures, key figures and main issues, the full range of current affairs, budgetary, political, management, defence and military matters).
- Engage clients, support staff, management and colleagues to develop and maintain effective working relations, to gather feedback, understand client requirements and actively assist in the Service’s stakeholder management.
- Participate in the network of Contact Point Interpreters engaging with national delegations, if appropriate.
- Take part in the Interpretation Service’s training initiatives.
- Coach young graduates and students, if required.
- Play an active part in the overall effort of the service to develop and update glossaries, pool terminology and share corporate knowledge.
- Follow political and military events that are discussed and negotiated by NATO committees and the related terminology.
- Perform any other related duty as assigned.