ISSUED BY: OSCE Mission to Bosnia and Herzegovina
VACANCY NUMBER: VNBAHP00878
VACANCY TYPE: International Contracted
FIELD OF EXPERTISE: Political Affairs
NUMBER OF POSTS: 1
DUTY STATION: Sarajevo
DATE OF ISSUE: 18 February 2019
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: 1 April 2019 – 23:59 Central European Time (CET/CEST)
DATE OF ENTRY ON DUTY: 1 June 2019
The OSCE has a comprehensive approach to security that encompasses politico-military, economic and environmental, and human aspects. It therefore addresses a wide range of security-related concerns, including arms control, confidence- and security-building measures, human rights, national minorities, democratization, policing strategies, counter-terrorism and economic and environmental activities. All 57 participating States enjoy equal status, and decisions are taken by consensus on a politically, but not legally binding basis.
The OSCE Mission’s principal aim is to promote stability and reconciliation while assisting Bosnia and Herzegovina on its path to regional political, economic and social integration. Mission activities seek to foster systems of governance, justice and education that uphold human rights and the rule of law for all citizens. Moreover, the Mission supports the development of an effective, responsive, and inclusive security sector in Bosnia and Herzegovina, in keeping with international standards.
The Human Dimension Department at OSCE Mission to Bosnia and Herzegovina is currently composed of one hundred and sixty-two team members.
The OSCE Gender Action Plan is committed to increasing the number of female staff in all areas of the OSCE’s work. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for this management opportunity.
Tasks and Responsibilities
The Head of Human Dimension Department (HDD), as a senior programmatic mission member, is responsible for shaping the strategic direction of the largest department of the Mission, as it re-prioritises and reduces in size and scope. Reporting through the Deputy Head of Mission (DHOM) to the Head of Mission (HOM), the incumbent will be responsible for advising both on programmatic issues and ensuring that their guidance and direction is reflected in programme implementation. The post holder is the Mission’s primary interface with external interlocutors on HDD programmatic issues. S/he is responsible for co-ordination with a wide range of international and domestic organizations. Head of HDD holds delegated responsibility for the Mission’s HDD programme budget and bears ultimate responsibility for ensuring that the HDD’s work is relevant, effective and consistent with the Mission’s mandate. The Head of HDD is responsible for the continued consolidation of HDD through further integration of its core functions of Rule of Law, Human Rights, Education and Governance. The incumbet will be responsible for:
- Setting the strategic direction of the Human Dimension Department and determines priorities in consultation with the HOM and DHOM, ensuring consistency with, and relevance to, the Mission’s mandate, and direction provided by participating states and the conditions prevailing in BiH;
- Carrying out the responsibilities of Programme Manager for budgetary and administrative oversight of the Department’s activities and staff, including co-ordination of all proposals for extra-budgetary funding with relevant Mission elements and exercising overall responsibility for programme implementation, including the management of the Department’s financial and human resources in line with the authority delegated by the HOM;
- Ensuring that Department staff in head office and the field work is a coherent team focused on achieving agreed objectives, including regular visits to the field and establishing effective coordinating mechanisms;
- Analysing the Department’s effectiveness in achieving Mission objectives, complementarity with the activities of other organizations, adherence to accepted sectoral best practices, and identifying measures to improve and streamline programme implementation, in order to achieve greater coherence and synergy;
- Maintaining regular contact with international and domestic high level authorities in order to ensure effective programmatic co-ordination, a clear understanding of the Mission’s Human Dimension Programme and, where necessary, effective advocacy for political or financial support;
- Performing other duties as required.
- Citizenship of an OSCE participating State, excluding citizenship or permanent residency of the country of the duty station;
- Second-level university degree in law, international relations, public policy, political or social sciences;
- A minimum of ten years of progressively responsible management experience preferably in an international set up, with a good established understanding of the complex political situation in Bosnia and Herzegovina and of the role of the OSCE Mission to Bosnia and Herzegovina;
- Professional fluency in English both written and oral; knowledge of other OSCE working languages would be an asset;
- A good working knowledge of the BiH official languages is highly desirable;
- Flexibility and ability to work under pressure;
- Computer literacy, with practical experience with Microsoft packages; ability to use and knowledge of an ERP system, preferably ORACLE, would be an asset;
- Demonstrated gender awareness and sensitivity, and an ability to integrate a gender perspective into tasks and activities;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective and constructive working relationships with people of different national and cultural backgrounds while maintaining impartiality and objectivity;
- Possession of a valid driving licence and ability to drive using manual transmission.
- Commitment: Actively contributes to achieving organizational goals
- Diversity: Respects others and values their diverse perspectives and contributions
- Integrity: Acts in a manner consistent with the Organization’s core values and organizational principles
- Accountability: Takes responsibility for own action and delegated work
- Communication: Actively works to achieve clear and transparent communication with colleagues and with stakeholders of the Organization
- Collaboration: Works effectively with others on common goals and fosters a positive, trust-based working environment
- Planning: Works towards the achievement of goals in a structured and measured manner
- Analysis and decision-making: Analyses available information, draws well-founded conclusions and takes appropriate decisions
- Initiative-taking: Proposes and initiates new ideas, activities and projects
- Flexibility: Responds positively and effectively to changing circumstances
Managerial competencies (for positions with managerial responsibilities)
- Leadership: Provides a clear sense of direction, builds trust and creates an enabling environment
- Strategic thinking: Identifies goals that advance the organizational agenda and develops plans for achieving them
- Managing performance: Helps to maximize team performance by providing active feedback and skill development opportunities
Monthly remuneration subject to social security deductions is about US$ 7,128.58 to which is added Board and Lodging Allowance (currently EUR 113 per day subject to change without prior notice). Social benefits will include possibility of participation in the Cigna medical insurance scheme and the OSCE Provident Fund.