Reporting to the Head of Mission with matrix management by the Regional Security Advisor, the Safety and Security Manager will be responsible for overseeing the security functions of the Plan International Office in Somaliland and its staff, actively monitoring the safety and security environment in Somalia/Somalilandand establish and maintain positive working relationships with government officials and peers. The safety and Secury Manager is responsible of ensuring that Security Protocols are regularly reviewed and updated, and followed by both staff and visitors.
Dimensions of the Role
The scope of the role will entail advising the Head of Mission and Regional Office on various security matters in Somalia/Somaliland; contribute in implementing the global security policies and strategies and facilitate the rollout of security standards, operating procedures, and regular reporting on compliance. Training of Plan and partners staff on Plan’s security guidelines, risk assessments and security management best practices in Somalia. Ensures timely reporting of security incidences in line with the relevant policies and procedures. Disseminates security information from Plan International Headquarters (IH) and the Regional Office to aid country leadership with decision making and proactive actions. S/he will uphold Plan’s Core Values, promote our mission and vision, programme principles (transparency, gender equality and diversity) to enhance programme impact, and be committed to child protection and respect for human rights.
- Act as a key advisor to the Head of Mission and Director of Sub-region (North and East Africa) on safety and security matters in Somalia/ Somaliland.
- Maintain strong links and relationships with other security-related networks and organizations and assist in developing effective security networks & responses relevant to the Somaliland and Somalia context.
- Maintain an appropriate level of contact with regional and headquarters Safety and Security personnel and other external stakeholders to support the implementation of Plan’s Security strategy.
- Prepare security reports and provide regular security analysis to Head of Mission and Regional Security Advisor.
- Scan the security environment and adjust security phases, policies and procedures accordingly.
- Responsible for country-wide security management in line with the acceptance model and Plan International standards.
- Develop country-wide security and evacuation plans and ensure compliance with the Plan’s Security policies and procedures.
- Capacity development of security focal points and officers across field locations.
- Initiate security alerts as appropriate, in consultation with the Head of Mission.
Policies, Strategy and Standards Implementation and Performance
- Provide an objective overview and analysis of security trends and issues across Somaliland/Somalia and their implications for Plan and its partners.
- Offer advice as necessary to Country Management Team/Regional Security Advisor regarding implementation decisions to ensure Plan’s duty of care at all times to its staff and partners.
- Disseminate globally approved information, guidelines and policies as needed and appropriate.
- Contribute to Security policy and Global strategy amendments as requested.
- Ensure the use of approved security management templates, tools and guidelines.
- Review country security ratings at least monthly and advise Country/Regional/Global management on any areas that need to be changed or reviewed.
- Review country Security SOPs annually, and after any significant incident and propose any improvements or changes needed to Country/Regional Management team and implement changes that have been approved.
Reporting, Monitoring and Compliance
- Lead on upgrading and continuously improving Country Office capabilities and compliance with global security standards or initiatives.
- Prepare quarterly country security and compliance reports for onward submission to the Regional/Global Offices.
- Review all security and vehicle incident reports, ensure that all incidents are reported to the Regional Office/Regional Security Advisor and follow up on the implementation of recommended management actions.
- Produce a monthly proactive mapping of security hot spots across the country and upcoming events to the Country/Regional Management Team.
Collaboration and Networking
- Undertake security and safety assessment to inform programming decisions and actions.
- Work with the regional and Somalia/Somaliland security community, internal and externally including UN and interagency forums.
- Liaise with external security specialists for information sharing relevant to the Somaliland/Somaliland and share with the Head of Office and Regional Security Advisor after validation for accuracy.
- Assist in gathering information for SITREPS and security related alerts and advisories for Somaliland/Somalia.
Assessment, Analysis and Oversight
- Review and recommend approval/non-approval of staff travel requests
- Develop and implement guidelines and criteria for assessing staff/office premises and locations.
- Participate in field missions and undertake security risk assessments
- Lead on identifying and minimizing potential security risks to staff, partners, assets and operational/program security
- Monitor events, review incidents and coordinate analysis, follow-up actions and recommendations.
- Provide informed recommendations in the context of security assessments and reviews.
- Assess application of security policies and level of facility vulnerability and recommend/oversee any changes needed to enhance security.
- Coordinate and manage the proper use of telecommunications systems.
- Develop and implement security training plan for all staff and partners.
Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Child Protection (CPP) and Gender Equality and Inclusion (GEI) are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
- Somaliland Head of Mission, Sub-grants Coordinator, Plan Kenya Director of Operations, Regional Security Advisor, Global Security Advisor and other members of the Regional and Kenya team as appropriate
- Somaliland Government Officials, UN Agencies, INGO and Somali NGO representatives
Technical expertise, skills and knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree is required.
- Somali language skills and experience working in Somaliland/Somalia
- 10 years of relevant working experience in a safety and security advisory or management role in a complex political humanitarian crisis, preferably in East Africa.
- Formal technical training in security and safety is a plus. Past management roles with INGOs in unsecure environments is a plus;
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation and advocacy skills. Ability to lead by influence and knowledge, rather than hierarchical authority.
- Experience of designing and delivering training particularly basic personal safety and security, and landmine safety and awareness.
- Ability to get along with a diverse group of people, provide exceptional customer service while managing multiple priorities.
- Knowledge, or ability and willingness to learn Plan International management and program tools and frameworks, adhere to all Plan International’s policies and guidelines.
- Mental/Physical Requirements: Approximately 50-60% travel, primarily within Somalia/Somaliland and sometimes in remote areas with minimal amenities; often with short notice.
- Experience working outside of the East Africa region.