|Position Level||IS 4/5|
|Department||Operations Services and Financial Management Department|
|Division||Office of the Director General, OSFMD|
|Closing Date||Thursday, December 21, 2017|
- Multiple positions at various levels may be filled from this vacancy notice.
- Actual position title, level and salary will be based on the candidate’s qualifications, experience and job scope that will be assigned to the selected candidates.
- Location – Initial appointment to ADB Headquarters, Manila, Philippines. Some positions may be outposted in a Field Office.
- Fixed-Term appointment – initial staff appointments to ADB under a standard fixed term appointment are for three (3) years which may be extended or converted to a regular employment given satisfactory performance and the continued need for particular skills.
Job Purpose (Indicative Responsibilities)
The Procurement Specialist / Senior Procurement Specialist (i) provides assistance, technical guidance and capacity development to ensure compliance with ADB’s procurement (goods, works, and consulting services) policies and procedures; (ii) support improvements in the implementation performance of ADB portfolio of loans, grants, and technical assistance (TA) including procurement under Public Private Partnership (PPP); (iii) advise on the use of the International Federation of Consulting Engineers (FIDIC) suite of contracts, performance-based contracting and design-build-operate type arrangements; and (iv) assist in the establishment, harmonization and improvement of procurement policies and procedures, consistent with effective project management for ADB projects. Work with sector divisions to provide procurement advice in any of the following areas: energy, transport, water and urban development.The incumbent will report to Director, OSP1/OSP2 and may supervise one or more National and Administrative staff.
Duties and Responsibilities
a. Procurement/Consulting Services Advice
- Review borrowers’ procurement actions and submissions for engaging consultants under ADB loans.
- Provide technical guidance and advice as appropriate in accordance with ADB procurement policies and procedures informing clients on contracting strategies available.
- Carry out country, sector and/or project level procurement risk assessments and develop risk mitigation plans, including policy and regulatory recommendations, to address identified risks.
- Review procurement arrangements under PPP operations.
- Advise on the use of the FIDIC suite of contracts and review bidding documents incorporating such contract formats.
- Review performance based contracting and design-build-operate type procurement arrangements.
b. Project Management Support
- Participate and provide analytical support in the design, processing, administration, and evaluation of loan and TA projects with emphasis on procurement and contract management.
- Chair Consultant Selection Committee meetings.
- Negotiate TA contracts with consultants.
- Process and administer TA projects associated with procurement, project administration and country procurement systems.
- Provide technical guidance and advice for developing project processing and administration systems.
c. Policy/Procedure Setting and Improvement
- Formulate procurement policy and procedures, and project administration instructions.
- Coordinate the harmonization of procurement policy with other development agencies.
- Assist with complex and multi-disciplinary problem solving using knowledge in own field of specialization, including particularly PPP.
d. Knowledge Sharing
- Deliver tailored training to ADB and executing agency staff to develop skills in procurement, consulting services and project administration in accordance with ADB policies and guidelines.
- Deliver Business Opportunities Seminars.
- Propose and participate in various OSFMD initiatives to improve quality of service provided to Regional Departments.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master’s degree, or equivalent, in Business Administration, Economics, Engineering, Public Procurement, Public Policy, or other related fields. University degree in Business Administration, Economics, Engineering, Public Procurement, Public Policy, or other related fields combined with specialized experience in similar organization/s, may be considered in lieu of a Master’s degree.
- For internal applicants – Procurement Accreditation Skills Scheme (PASS) accreditation preferred (non-accredited applicants may be considered though will be required to complete accreditation within one year of appointment)
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant experience in procurement, project management or other related area in infrastructure (transport, energy, water sectors) projects.
- Preferably an engineering background combined with procurement experience in the transport, energy, water, or urban infrastructure sectors.
- Familiarity with multilateral development banks (MDBs) current procurement and consulting services policies and procedures.
- International experience working in several countries.
- Preferably experience working with MDBs and bilateral agencies on project management, contract management and capacity building issues.
- Able to lead projects, work collaboratively with teams, and share relevant knowledge to benefit the broader ADB community.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English is required.
- Proficient or advanced competency level in Client Orientation, Achieving Results and Problem Solving and Knowledge Sharing.
- Experience working in an international financial institution or similar organization is an asset.
- For other competencies relevant to the position, please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Level 4 and Level 5.
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of 3 years. ADB offers competitive remuneration and a comprehensive benefits package.ADB only hires nationals of its 67 member countries.ADB is a diverse organization consisting of more than 3,000 staff of different nationalities working for a common goal regardless of age, gender, religion or disability. Women are highly encouraged to apply.