The Open Society Foundations’ Arab Regional Office (ARO) was established in 2006 to support local civil society in its efforts to protect human rights and build vibrant and tolerant societies. Based in Amman with a satellite office in Tunis, the office supports a diverse group of civil society organizations, research centers, universities, and media organizations across the Arab world in Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, the Occupied Palestinian Territories, and Tunisia.
The Arab Regional Office is recruiting a Program Officer to join their Rights and Governance Program based in the Amman office. The Rights & Governance Program focuses on human rights institutions and movements, equality, anti-discrimination, and justice and the rule of law.
Reporting to the Rights & Governance Team Manager, the Program Officer will be responsible for developing and managing the Equality and Anti-Discrimination Portfolio under the Rights & Governance Program. The portfolio currently includes a primary focus on grant making at both the country and the regional levels; particularly in the Occupied Palestinian Territories, Egypt, with expanding to Morocco and Tunisia. This is in addition to supporting regional initiatives and activities. The Equality and Anti-Discrimination Portfolio’s work focuses on challenging patterns of discrimination and marginalization across the region through litigation, community empowerment and advocacy, with a specific focus on women and marginalized groups. The role also includes being the gender mainstreaming focal point within the ARO to support the office in moving towards a more gender-sensitive on both the programmatic and organizational levels.
Essential duties and responsibilities include:
- Overall responsibility for the development of knowledge, networks and analysis relating to priority countries and issues within the thematic scope of the position.
- Designing a strategic portfolio that deploys diverse tools, including grant making towards meeting the goals of the portfolio.
- Primary responsibility for implementation of the strategy and work plans through grant-making and other tools; with responsibilities for identifying actors, reviewing and assessing grant applications.
- Monitoring and evaluating grantees work through maintaining close contact with grantees and civil society actors in the field and conducting site visits as needed.
- Working within the broader program strategy and budget design, making and assessing grants, and advancing the portfolio’s goals.
- Leading gender mainstreaming work and developing plans and processes to support the office’s overall efforts
- Participating in and contributing to the development of the overall Rights & Governance, and ARO strategies.
- Supervising consultants for research, evaluation, and capacity building purposes.
- Representing the Arab Regional Office in public meetings and conferences.
- 7-10 years of relevant field experience.
- Master degree in law, women’s rights or relevant field of study is preferred; other combination of education and work experience will be strongly considered.
- Fluency in written and spoken communication in both English and Arabic is essential; fluency in French is desirable.
- Demonstrable success in development of diverse and complex strategies in relevant contexts, including planning and implementing modifications in response to an evolving situation.
- Experience working in a large organization; preferably in civil society.
- Experience in working on issues related to promoting equality and anti-discrimination against women, migrants and other marginalized groups in the Arab region is an advantage.
- Work Environment and Physical Demands: Essential functions are typically performed in an office setting with a low level of noise. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
We are strengthened by the diversity of our colleagues across the Open Society Foundations, and we welcome and actively seek applications from people of all cultures, backgrounds, and experiences