Speak to UNOPS about this role at Global Careers for Women 2018
Functions/ Key Results Expected
- General construction
- Feasibility study/needs assessment
- Design management
- Construction supervision
- Knowledge management
- Plan and coordinate work activities with the Project Manager /Programme Manager.
- Take timely action to prevent potential delays and/or cost overruns that can be avoided.
- Report and recommend remedial actions regarding potential delays and/or cost overruns to the Project Manager/ Programme Manager.
- Provide supervision of project work progress and quality for on-time project delivery.
- Prepare project related documentations such as periodic progress reports, site monitoring reports, stakeholder meeting minutes, engineer’s instructions and variation orders, contractor’s bills review reports, certifications, client hand-over documents and contracts close-out reports.
- Manage final hand over and acceptance report based on technical specifications against the approved project.
- Provide data and information about project work to Project Manager/ Programme Manager for reporting purposes.
- Ensure UNOPS FIDIC contracts are administered appropriately.
- Ensure proper liaison, coordination and exchange of information with the Municipal Authority
- Accompany all site visits by any Authority and Donor representatives.
- Provide a monthly report to the Project Manager/ Programme Manager, detailing all project matters including quality, health and safety, environmental and financial, as well as any issues relating to possible delays, cost overruns, variations and any other matter as agreed with the Project Manager.
2.Feasibility study/needs assessment
- Complete needs assessment, organize preliminary studies and monitor/supervising consultants.
- Support the review of requests for new construction and rehabilitation works.
- Carry out assessments and prepare reports with recommendations for follow up actions.
- Assist the Project Manager/ Programme Manager in redacting the tender dossier, with particular focus to the technical documents (drawings, BoQ, technical specification and standards).
3. Design management
- Outline design requirements (e.g. timeline) to procure design services, including concept, preliminary and final stages where applicable.
- Manage the design plan ensuring deliverables are available on time, and to the required quality.
- Review and approve the BoQ.
- Assist the procurement team with technical assistance in preparation of tender documentation and bid analysis where required.
4. Construction supervision
- Supervise construction works and administer works execution as per the contractual provisions and the design specifications.
- Ensure quantity/quality control and time schedule consistency.
- Verify that works are consistent with the project technical specifications and inform promptly of eventual deviations.
- Ensure constructions works are completed on time, within budget and to quality standards.
- Provide regular supervision of the project work progress and quality for on time delivery.
5. Knowledge management
- Provide training and technology transfer to national personnel and contractor’s personnel and advice on good construction practices, good environmental management practices, and appropriate health and safety standards during construction
- Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for development planning and knowledge building.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards.
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNOPS.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Demonstrates strong technical knowledge and commitment to continuous learning.
- Demonstrates results orientation and focus on solutions.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective work relationships with clients, donors and other stakeholders.
- Ability to plan work in a collaborative manner and to manage priorities
- Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve the goals of the project and in accordance with UNOPS shared goals
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure.
The Project Engineer is responsible for keeping abreast of new developments in engineering
- A Master’s degree in Civil Engineering or related field is required.
- A combination of Bachelor’s degree with an additional 2 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the education requirements outlined above.
- AutoCAD certification is desirable.
- Project Management certification (for example PRINCE2® Foundation is desirable)
- A minimum of 6 years of experience, related to the project requirements, in civil engineering construction management is required.
- Work experience in post-conflict/ fragile environments is desirable.
- Some experience in the UN system organizations and/or a developing country is desirable.
- It is expected that the Project Engineer is an active member in a professional engineering body
- Full working knowledge of English/French/Spanish/Arabic is essential.
- Knowledge of another official UNOPS language is desirable