Recruiters representing UNICEF MENA will be available at our next event. Register here
UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children’s rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
For every child, Education
The Middle East and North Africa region covers countries and territories from Morocco to the Islamic Republic of Iran, including Djibouti and Sudan in sub-Saharan Africa. The region is home to nearly 418 million people, including 157 million, or 38 per cent, who are under the age of 18. Nearly 10,000 children are born across the region every year. The Middle East and North Africa Regional Office is a hub for information, technical expertise, oversight and coordination for UNICEF Country Offices. It also supports these offices in their efforts to raise much-needed resources. Specialist advisers based in Amman help develop programmes in health and nutrition, child protection, adolescent development, HIV and AIDS, education, water and sanitation, social policy and emergency preparedness.
To find out more about UNICEF’s work in the Middle East and North Africa region, click here
How can you make a difference?
The Regional Education Adviser, reports to the Deputy Regional Director. He/she provides advice to the Regional Director, the Regional Management Team and Country Offices and Governments on the development of education sector policies, strategies, programmes and systems that support the improvement of access, quality and education response to crisis situations. The incumbent provides UNICEF Education programmes with leadership that enhances innovation in education programming. In addition, the incumbent is accountable for specific support for capacity building, monitoring and evaluation, high level representation, networking and strategic partnership creation.
This will involve:
- Advisory Capacity and Policy Development
- Strategy Coordination
- Knowledge Management
- Capacity Building
- Technical Leadership and Quality Assurance
- Advocacy and leveraging
- Regional Monitoring and Assessment
- Communication, Networking and Partnership
- Emergency Preparedness and Response
To qualify as an Advocate for every child, you will have…
- An advanced university degree (Master’s or higher) in the combination of the selective disciplines relevant to the following areas: Education; Primary Education, Economics, Social Sciences, or a field(s) relevant to international development assistance.
- A minimum of 12 years progressively responsible, relevant, professional work experience.
- Proven experience in developing innovative approaches, new techniques or contributing to policy development / change.
- Demonstrated capacity to identify and monitor gender disparities in education, as well as develop and implement gender mainstreaming in programme policy and management.
- Specific experience in a number of areas will be required:
- Strengthening capacity in education planning and reform processes;
- Strengthening capacity in addressing equity in access at pre-primary, basic and post-basic education levels;
- Supporting countries in improving the quality of learning and strengthening the measurement of learning outcomes;
- Supporting countries in scaling and sustaining education response in crisis situations
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) or the local working language of the duty station is an asset.
a) Specific Technical Knowledge Required
- CRC, CEDAW and other human rights instruments/standards
- CCA/UNDAF Guidelines directives from UNDGO/IUNDG.
- Thorough knowledge of MDG; Mid-Term Strategic Plan.
- Expert knowledge of the technical areas of UNICEF Education programmes.
- Expert technical leadership and knowledge of theories, principles and methods in the combination of selective fields of the following: Education; Primary Education, Economics, Social Sciences, and/or related fields.
- Gender and diversity awarenessb) Common Technical Knowledge Required Knowledge of theories and practices in:
- Programme/project management in Education
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Training and Capacity Development in Education
- Alternative Basic Education
- Curriculum Development
- Knowledge Management
General knowledge of:
- Methodology of programme/project management
- Programmatic goals, visions, positions, policies and strategies for Education programmes
- Knowledge of global education issues, specifically relating to children and women, and the current UNCEF position and approaches.
- UNICEF policies and strategy to address education issues, including those relating to conflicts, natural disasters, and recovery.
- UNICEF financial, supply and administrative rules and regulations.
- Rights-based and Results-based approach and programming in UNICEF.
- UNICEF programme policy, procedures and guidelines in the Manual.
- Mid-Term Strategic Plan
- UNICEF Board endorsed policy papers (e.g. The Education Strategy) and agency-wide programmes impacting on education results.c) Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced
- Government development plans and policies
- Knowledge of local conditions and country legislation relevant to UNICEF programmes
- UN policies and strategy to address international humanitarian issues and the responses.
- UN common approaches to programmatic issues and UNICEF positions
- UN security operations/guidelines and international guidelines on aid effectiveness.
- UNSECORD training for members of Security Management Team.
For every Child, you will demonstrate…
This position is classified as “rotational” which means the incumbent is expected to rotate to another duty station upon completion of their tour of duty,
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.