PRIMARY PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
Under the supervision of the Chief Finance Officer, the Regional Finance Controller is responsible to perform financial oversight duties in the Middle East and North Africa region, and perform projects as needed. The position is based in Amman, Jordan with extension travel to the country programs.
MAJOR AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
PRIMARY DUTIES/RESPONSIBILITIES % OF TIME
Financial Reporting & Compliance (70%)
- Review each country’s monthly trial balance reconciliation work papers to ensure the financial accuracy and compliance with American Refugee Committee (ARC) and Questscope (QS) policies. Communicate areas of concern to the Country Finance Controller and ARC Chief Finance Officer.
- Monitor each country’s compliance with donor regulations and communicate compliance questions to Headquarters (HQ) and Country management. Follow up with the Country Finance Controller.
- Monitor for compliance with the ARC policies and procedures and communicate compliance questions to the Country Director and Chief Finance Officer.
- Provide monthly reporting to HQ Finance including a reconciliation summary per country, a narrative report listing activities performed during the month, and all items requiring assistance and/or follow up.
- Support all HQ finance requests to the field by hands-on completion of requests where possible and facilitation with Country Directors when required.
- Support questions on reporting to US Government donors from the HQ Grant Analyst.
- Conduct financial audits or corrective action plan reviews in the ARC offices in coordination with the Internal Audit Manager.
- Assist in the preparation and conduct of the annual external audit.
- Keep the Chief Finance Officer fully informed on all matters that may affect the financial integrity of ARC programs or the organization and perform investigations in response to allegations of improper conduct.
- Serve as the Finance Controller of new country startups and country programs that do not have the capacity/skills on staff.
Capacity Building (30%)
- Provide training on the Field Financial Procedures and troubleshoot problems as necessary with Country Directors and Finance Controllers in coordination HQ management.
- Advise on needed changes/improvement in the Field Financial Procedures.
- Perform coverage as Interim Country Finance Controller when required.
EDUCATION, TECHNICAL SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIRED
- 3-5 years prior international NGO Financial Controller experience required, preferably in complex emergency or post-conflict settings.
- Bachelors degree required in Finance/Accounting, or related work experience, advanced degree preferred.
- Demonstrated experience with international donors required.
- Prior experience with a USAID direct funded NGO desired.
- Strong computer skills, spreadsheet required; MS Navision/DynamicsNAV/Serenic experience preferred.
KEY BEHAVIORS & ABILITIES
- Able to work with a multi-ethnic team in an unstable environment.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills as well as leadership skills.
- Able to prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Flexibility, sense of humor and good interpersonal skills required.
- Fluency in English and Arabic required.
- Demonstrated experience in training financial staff desired.
- Must be able to travel up to 50%.