Recruiters representing MSF will be available at our next event. Register here
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) / أطباء بلا حدود is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organization that delivers emergency aid to people in 70 countries who are affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural disasters and exclusion from healthcare. MSF offers assistance to people based on need, irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation and our actions are guided by medical ethics and the principles of neutrality and impartiality.
We offer basic healthcare, perform surgery, fight epidemics, rehabilitate and run hospitals and clinics, carry out vaccination campaigns, operate nutrition centres, and provide mental healthcare. Our activities include the treatment of injuries and disease, maternal care and the provision of humanitarian aid. Where necessary, we set up sanitation systems, supply safe drinking water, and distribute relief to assist survival.
Working overseas with (MSF) means that you will go to work in projects in any of the countries where MSF works. Each project you go to will require a certain period of commitment (6 to 12 months). It also means that you will need the flexibility to adjust to unfamiliar food, living quarters, pace of life, and languages. Projects may be located in the most remote places in the world, often in harsh environments with limited resources and amenities.
Regardless of where you go, it might be a very different lifestyle. Working in an unfamiliar culture inevitably involves challenges in communication and perceptions. Being aware that people may not act or think like you, accepting this, and being able to adapt your own behaviours if required, is of utmost importance when working in the field. A special camaraderie emerges amongst members of a project team who come from different countries, backgrounds and experience. This creates a shared sense of purpose, sparking ingenuity and resourcefulness in getting things done, and a lot of spontaneous fun.
Name: Specialized nurse (Emergency room and intensive care, pediatrics, operating theatre, infection control)
The main purpose is to plan, organize, and evaluate the activities concerning his/her field of action (Nursery, laboratory, midwifery, anaesthesiology) and the team associated, according to MSF values, policies and protocols and universal health standards, in order to warrant the quality and continuity of the health care and the development of the plan of action.
Among the fields of activity in which you as a nurse can be asked to work are: primary health care, vaccination campaigns, emergency feeding programs, epidemics, specific projects (AIDS, tuberculosis, etc.) and collection as well as analysis of epidemiological data. Most nurse positions offered by MSF involve management of a team: organization and training of national health staff.
In a hospital you can be asked to work within different services: pediatrics, internal medicine, operating room. You ensure respect of hospital hygiene; follow up of sterilization rules, and good management of the pharmacy.
As a specialized nurse you may be asked to take part in organizing a mass vaccination initiative or in triaging an influx of displaced people fleeing conflict. You may run a program to prevent mother-to-child transmission of HIV, operate a feeding centre, or be called upon to initiate a training program for local medical staff. Additional tasks may include hospital organization, oversight of hygiene measures, and management of drug stocks, data collection, and contact with local authorities.
During your MSF assignment, direct patient care may be limited, while a significant responsibility will be the training, supervising, and managing nursing staff or community health providers. At the same time, your mission will be a learning experience as you gain knowledge from local health workers’ management of medical conditions.
- Carry out the functions and tasks associated to his/her specialty, i.e. perform as a nurse, midwife, laboratory technician and anesthetist, whenever required or needed, in order to optimize the resources, contributing with his/her knowledge and experience.
- Implement all the protocols and hygiene procedures, and supervise his/her team follow the same standards, in order to warrant the quality of the care and service in his/her specialty.
- Organize and coordinate the activities of his/her team (week’s schedule, annual leave, absences, etc.), evaluate their performance and define and ensure the needs for training of staff, in order to ensure the coverage of the human resources needs and maintain high standards of quality.
- Carry out and/or supervise the ( decentralized) pharmacy and medical equipment management (drugs orders, follow-up of the stock, storage conditions, inventories, follow-up of expired drugs and their destruction, drugs consumption, etc.) in his or her department, in order to satisfy the needs of material with efficiency and effectiveness.
- Carry-out and/or coordinate administrative (exit-paper, transfer-paper, etc.), information and data collection (patient files, forms, statistics, etc.) tasks, and elaborate regular reporting, in order to have updated and reliable information about the day-to-day activity in the project, output/ outcome and support decision-taking.
- Give feedback/ reports to medical focal point. Carry-out and supervise administrative procedures and documents (check identity of patient and his/her consent for the operation, fill in patients files, forms, statistics, quantitative surgical data collection, etc.), and report any problematic situations and cases arising, in order to have updated and correct information about the day-to-day activity and ensuring proper transfer of information.
- Participate in data and reporting.
- Intervene in support of other services whenever needed and work particularly in close collaboration with the accident, emergency department and with obstetrics.
- BS in nursing
- Specialization in emergency room and intensive care, pediatrics, operating theatre, infection control or hospital management is a plus
- Work license
- Minimum 2 years of work experience.
- Medical ethics,
- Cultural sensitivity,
- Openness and flexibility,
- Ability to live and work as a team,
- Ability to manage stress,
- Availability: MSF requires a minimum of a 2 years commitment.
- Arabic, English and/or French.
What we offer:
- A fixed-term contract
- Monthly pay salary during the mission
- A daily allowance (per diem) during the mission
- Medical coverage
- Payment of all mission-related expenses (transport, accommodation)
- The opportunity to work and quickly take on responsibilities in humanitarian situations and varied medical programs
- Personalized career development, with access to different levels of training, in order to grow within the organization.
Kindly apply through our recruitment page: msf-egypt.org/en/work-abroad
In your application please specify that you found out about this opportunity on GCFjobs.com