Director Of Legal Affairs, D2
– Leads and oversees the development and implementation of a coherent Agency-wide legal strategy and policies; in particular, ensures the integration of the legal function in all aspects of the Agency’s strategic, policy, programmatic and protection activities; analyzes legal risks facing the Agency and proposes measures to minimize them; ensures the consistent interpretation and application of the Agency’s regulatory framework and international law throughout the Agency;
– Directs the programme of work and management of the human and financial resources of the Department of Legal Affairs and provides strategic and technical leadership to the Agency’s lawyers, with a view to ensuring legally sound, timely, easily applied, politically sensitive and consistent advice;
– Leads and oversees the provision of legal input into the development and implementation of Agency strategy and policy relating to all areas of UNRWA operations, including through direct advice to the Executive Office; establishes and maintains relations with representatives of host and other governments, the UN Office of Legal Affairs, UNHCR, OHCHR, OCHA, UNSCO and other entities with respect to issues of legal concern; provides strategic, technical and legal advice in support of the Agency’s protection function;
– Advises on the interpretation, application and enforcement of the Agency’s regulatory framework, including General Assembly resolutions, Staff and Financial Regulations, Rules and associated administrative issuances, Organizational Directives, Technical Instructions and Manuals;
– Provides advice and training on relevant public international law, including UN law, and international human rights, humanitarian and refugee law;
– Provides and oversees the provision of legal advice, training, outreach and assistance on matters relating to administrative and employment law issues; in particular, advises on investigations and disciplinary matters, provides strategic leadership for the Agency’s submissions to the UNRWA Dispute Tribunal and UN Appeals Tribunal, and appears before the Tribunals as required;
– Directs the review and reform of drafts, templates and general conditions for all types of Agency contractual modalities, including contracts for procurement of goods and/or services, memoranda of understanding with partners and funding agreements;
– As a member of the Agency’s Senior Management team, the incumbent may have specific responsibilities related to internal governance structures, as established by the Executive Office;
UN Core Values of Professionalism, Integrity and Respect for Diversity and Core Competencies of Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results apply by default. Default managerial competencies may apply.
– Leading and Supervising – Planning and Organizing – Applying Technical Expertise – Formulating Strategies and Concepts – Creating and Innovating – Analyzing – Deciding and Initiating Action – Relating and Networking
– Advanced university degree (Master’s or equivalent) from an accredited educational institution in law, with specialization in international law, preferably also with some specialization in contract law, commercial law, administrative law or employment law.
At least fifteen years of progressively responsible and relevant experience as a lawyer in the United Nations, other international organization, government service, the commercial/private sector or NGO, including a period of experience in public international law? At least seven years of relevant professional experience at a senior international level. A minimum of 2 continuous years of relevant international experience outside UNRWA, and outside the country(s) of which the candidate is a national or holds citizenship, a passport or a national identity number. Admission to practice law in a recognized jurisdiction. (Desirable) Familiarity with UN Common System and practices. (Desirable) Knowledge of the history and contemporary problems of the Middle East. (Desirable)
Excellent command of written and spoken English.
Working knowledge of written and spoken Arabic. (Desirable)