|Location :||kinshasa, CONGO, DEM. REPUBLIC|
|Application Deadline :||31-May-19 (Midnight New York, USA)|
|Time left :||16d 16h 12m|
|Additional Category :||Gender Equality|
|Type of Contract :||Individual Contract|
|Post Level :||International Consultant|
|Languages Required :||English French|
|Starting Date : (date when the selected candidate is expected to start)||24-Jun-2019|
|Duration of Initial Contract :||3 months renewable|
|Expected Duration of Assignment :|
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The Democratic Republic of Congo Country Office (CO) recognizes the need for a strong rights-based emphasis in programming in relation to international agreements and human rights treaties that the CO has signed. In relation to gaps remaining between existing normative and policy frameworks on gender equality and women’s empowerment and their practical implementation, the CO programme focuses on the following thematic areas:
Changing societal attitudes in favor of gender equality, and in support of full participation of women at family, community and in public life, including in political and peace-building processes and in the workforce; Strengthening national and local gender-responsive planning and budgeting; Accelerating rural women economic empowerment. Cross-cutting to these is a continuation and strengthening of the CO focus on girl empowerment and the related involvement of young men in this process.
CO programming includes support to Government and civil society organizations in the development and implementation of innovative approaches aimed at achieving gender equality and women’s empowerment.
UN Women supports efforts of the national partners and UN agencies in implementation of gender equality commitments in compliance with the UN human rights conventions ratified by the Country. The CO provides strong and coherent technical support of gender equality priorities relating to national and UN efforts and supports building effective partnerships between Government, civil society and other relevant actors. UN Women convenes and leads the UNiTE campaign to end violence against women and girls. The CO strengthens coordination on gender equality and women’s empowerment programming and enhances cooperation for the gender responsive Sustainable Development Goals’ implementation at the national and sub-regional levels.
Under the supervision of the Representative, the Partnerships and Coordination Analyst is responsible for strengthening partnerships with key stakeholders of the Country Office, including with Parliament, relevant Government entities, development partners, civil society, and private sector, and lead implementation of a set of activities assigned, including facilitation of implementation of UN Gender Thematic Group’s work plan aimed at improving United National Country Team accountability to advance gender equality and women’s empowerment.
The Partnerships and Coordination Officer also collaborates with project staff to support effective partnerships in their relevant sectors, leads resource mobilization and donor relations initiatives assigned; s/he mobilizes support in conjunction with intergovernmental processes, and substantively supports the communications and advocacy activities and events organized for UN Women.
Duties and Responsibilities
Develop and support implementation of UN Women Country Office Partnerships Strategy with a view of effectively engaging and strengthening strategic partnerships in support of UN Women’s mandate:
- Draft Partnership Strategy for the Country Office, to facilitate follow-up and coordination of commitments made with partners, and articulate effective implementation mechanisms;
- Facilitate the understanding by UN Women’s partners of the institutional expectations from working with UN Women, as well as mutually beneficial communications mechanisms, including tools for monitoring these;
- Update the current UN Women’s data base of contacts/partners that can be leveraged to deliver on key objectives of the AWP when required;
- Provide technical assistance and ad-hoc capacity building support to key partners to gain their buy-in, proactive support for mutually beneficial partnerships, and facilitate their effectiveness.
Technically contribute to coordination of UN agencies’ in support of Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment (GEWE), including support in development of UNCT Gender Mainstreaming Strategy, Gender Thematic Group’s work plan, and lead implementation of the assigned activities:
- Facilitate Gender Thematic Group’s work in conducting gender scorecard exercise, implementation of the UNCT Gender Mainstreaming Strategy, and its annual work plans;
- Provice coordination support in the implementation of activities to realize the strategies and plans;
Coordinate Country Office’s engagement with private sector leaders to support advancement of gender equality and women’s empowerment principles:
- Identify and engage with private sector leaders in joint initiatives in support of GEWE principles, resulting in MoUs, parallel funding support, or other commitments;
- Draft and implement a work plan to carry out joint initiatives with the private sector partners to promote GEWE principles in their work;
- Ensure extensive media coverage and dissemination of progress and results of joint initiatives with private sector, including documentation of lessons learnt and best practices.
Coordinate the implementation of activities under the relevant Annual Workplan (AWP) assigned by the management:
- Ensure timely implementation of activities under the relevant AWP, their monitoring and evaluation as per Results Based Management (RBM) principles;
- Monitor budget utilization/implementation in the ERP including budget administration and revisions as required;
- Ensure that all progress reports, pertaining to coordination and partnership activities, are prepared in a timely manner and that their quality and details are up to standard
- Draft concept notes in consultation with programme colleagues to implement activities in support of partnership strategy;
- Establish relations with potential donors, and lead resource mobilization efforts to secure funding for the projects proposed, including the development of full proposals.
Provide technical support in the implementation of the Knowledge Management and Communications and Advocacy Strategy by substantively contributing to analyzing lessons learnt and documenting best practices:
- Document best practices and lessons learnt in the course of building partnerships with key stakeholders;
- Based on the lessons learnt and best practices produce communications materials in a manner that can be shared and disseminated to target audiences in coordination with the Communications Specialist
- Produce content for information materials for key government partners using reader-friendly and innovative communication tools;
- Proactively support UN Women’s advocacy and communications campaigns by contributing to their design and implementation.
Required Skills and Experience
Master’s degree in Social Sciences, gender studies, human rights, international development, or other relevant social science fields.
- At least two years five years of relevant experience in the area of partnership building
- Experience in project management, with a focus on either partnership development, or gender equality promotion, or women empowerment;
- Experience in coordinating multi-stakeholder initiatives and projects, ideally involving either government or civil society counterparts;
- Good understanding of the government functions, and policy is developed is required; experience of providing technical assistance to government institutions is a strong asset;
- Proven experience in writing project documents or project reports; Experience of private sector engagement is an asset;
- Familiarity with UN system and UN Women is an asset;
- Competent in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, ppt etc.).