Financial Management Specialist – UNDP – Kuala Lumpur
Duties and Responsibilities
Monitoring of Financial Resources and Corporate Analytics
- Compiles and interprets critical resource data and projections as inputs to performance assessment and management decision-making process
- Assess performance of the HQ Units and COs against the financial dashboard and other financial indicators, identifying areas of improvement
- Analyzes trends in resource plans, allocations and budgets to assess the organization’s direction
- Assesses and monitors the utilization of all management resources (operating/staff) and development resources (regular/other), to confirm availability of resources, integrity of balances and provision for reserves
- Assist the Manager, Financial Resources in the development and provision of policies and procedures on financial resources and budget management
Performance Assessment and Feedback
- Participates in indicator and target setting to establish reliable performance assessment criteria
- Coordinates, compiles, analyses and interprets performance related data for resources and results, to facilitate senior management’s review and assessment of such
- Supports the refinement and development of performance assessment tools to enhance the performance assessment process
Monitor adherence to UNDP’s cost recovery policies
- Monitor adherence to UNDP’s cost recovery policies and manage cost-recovery related funding sources to include: 1) HQs Central XB Account; 2) HQs Reimbursable Services (RS) Account through monitoring of RS income and expenditure, in coordination with Client Service Teams; and 3) UN Reimbursable Services and Jointly Financed Activities.
- Provide inputs to enhance Atlas, including design of enhanced GMS functionality, monitoring and reporting.
- Enhanced attribution of organizational costs to development projects with emphasis on activities related to DIM and CO support to NIM (direct project costing);
- Further sharpening in the attribution of centrally managed costs through ongoing analyses, pro-forma cost build-ups and management of reserve accounts;
- Sustainable funding of reimbursable services provided by COs (UPL) and by HQs to UN Agencies.
- Resource Management by supporting the Financial Resources Manager, FBM in providing strategic and data inputs
- Manage periodic financial tasks, including the update of pro-forma cost information and UPL costs
- Content Management by ensuring (1) prescriptive content within functional area is continuously updated and available (2) Best Practices are continuously identified, documented and made available to clients and peers and (3) appropriate and up-to-date information and learning tools are available.
- Information Technology Management through leveraging PeopleSoft functionality for improved business results, simplification of transaction and reporting processes.
- Matrix Management by ensuring product/results, handovers and consultations are prepared and executed, as well as effective and efficient management of a multitude of partnerships with clients and external stakeholders.
- Participate in other strategic initiatives within the Office of Financial Resources Management.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced (Masters) University Degree in Business Administration, or Finance/Accounting or a professional accounting qualification from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy.
- Those with professional accounting qualifications from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in integrated resource management with proven expertise in the utilization of related software applications and programmes; Combined Country Office and HQs experience preferred
- Experience of ERP (the Atlas) system.
- Functional and operational knowledge of IFRS or IPSAS will be a distinct advantage.
- Experience of IPSAS and/or IFRS is required for external candidates.
- Fluency in English
- Working knowledge of another UN language is an advantage, particularly Spanish or French