UNDP is the knowledge frontier organization for sustainable development in the UN development system and serves as the integrator for collective action to realize the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). UNDP’s policy work is carried out at HQ, Regional and Country Office levels, and forms a contiguous spectrum of deep local knowledge to cutting-edge global perspectives and advocacy. In this context, UNDP invests in the Global Policy Network (GPN), a network of field-based and global technical expertise across a wide range of knowledge domains and in support of the signature solutions and organizational capabilities envisioned in the Strategic Plan. The GPN also aims to provide rapid and integrated support to UNDP country offices, combining policy advice, technical expertise, financial resources, agile tools and procedures, and partnerships. The Global Policy Network (GPN) has the responsibility for developing all relevant policy and guidance to support the results of UNDP’s Strategic Plan (2018-2021).
Within the GPN, the Crisis Bureau guides UNDP’s corporate crisis-related strategies and vision for crisis prevention, response and recovery. The UNDP’s Crisis Bureau supports emergency and crisis response and ensures that issues of risk are fully integrated into UNDP’s development programmes. The Crisis Bureau assists UNDP and partners to achieve higher quality development results through an integrated approach that links results-based management and performance monitoring with more effective and new ways of working. The CB supports UNDP and partners to be more innovative, knowledge and data driven including in its programme support efforts. The CB’s staff provides technical advice to Country Offices; advocates for UNDP corporate messages, represents UNDP at multi-stakeholder fora including public-private dialogues, government and civil society dialogues, South-South and Triangular cooperation initiatives, and engages in UN inter-agency coordination in specific thematic areas.
The Disaster Risk Reduction and Recovery for Building Resilience Team provides integrated policy and programme support on disaster risk reduction and recovery in the context of UNDP’s broader approach to resilience building. The Team specifically fosters the integration of risk reduction as a key element in sustainable development and recovery at national, sub-national and sectoral level to strengthen resilience. It is also the responsibility of the team to support the regional hubs in their efforts to strengthen national capacities on disaster resilience and disaster risk reduction. The team provides high quality advice and programmatic support in the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of programmes. The team leads the development and coordination of policy in disaster risk reduction (DRR), and disaster recovery with a focus on resilience building and integrated approaches with climate adaptation.
The Regional Team Coordinator is based in the UNDP Sub-Regional Platform in Nairobi and reports to the Manager of the UNDP Regional Hub in Addis, with a secondary reporting line to the Head of the Team for Disaster Risk Reduction and Recovery for Building Resilience in Geneva. S/he is the lead expert in the thematic area of disaster risk reduction, recovery and resilience in the region and manages a team of Specialists in this area. S/he works in close coordination and under the guidance of the global nodes on Disaster Risk Reduction (Bangkok) and Recovery (Nairobi). S/he also works in close coordination and collaboration with the Crisis Bureau Country Support Management Team and other GPN teams under the Planet group (Climate, Energy, DRR/Recovery and Environment). In collaboration with other Advisors and Specialists in the Regional Hub, the Sub-Regional Platform, HQ, Country Offices and Global Policy Centers, s/he is responsible for providing policy and programme advisory services to Country Offices and oversees the utilization of products and tools in this thematic area.
Duties and Responsibilities
Working to ensure quality and coherent policy and programme advisory services within their region and across other regions as well as alignment with the Strategic Plan, the regional Coordinator advances the credibility and recognition of the organization’s programmes in this thematic area. S/he is responsible for leading the following:
- Programme Support and Policy Advice;
- Support Policy Development;
- Resource Mobilization;
- Partnerships, Representation and Advocacy;
- Innovation and Knowledge Management.
1. Programme Support and Policy Advice
- Lead the regional GPN team in the thematic area of disaster risk reduction, recovery and resilience in the Africa Regional Hub for the provision of programme support to Country Offices, helping them to ensure relevance of the services provided to country and regional context including crisis situations;
- Deliver technical policy advice and programme support, and provide integrated solutions in collaboration with cross-thematic teams in the Regional Hubs and HQ, that responds to country office needs, including through the provision of capacity building and backstopping;
- Lead the management and implementation of the RBA regional programme components pertaining to disaster risk reduction, recovery, and resilience in Africa;
- Strengthen and lead integrated multi-disciplinary approaches, including through Community of Practices (COPs), to deliver advisory services / programming needs in line with emerging client needs;
- Identify and recommend to management new opportunities for policy advisory directions and roles;
- Lead UNDP’s engagement with the African Union, the Regional Economic Communities (RECs), the African Development Bank and others regional bodies on disaster risk reduction, recovery and resilience;
- Contribute to UNDP’s work and engagement with other stakeholders on the Humanitarian-Development Peace nexus agenda, in particular through the lens of resilience;
- Identify mission-critical roles for the thematic area in disaster response and recovery, and provide timely technical policy and programme advice for crisis situations coordinated by the Crisis Bureau;
- Liaise with the HQ Crisis Bureau colleagues to provide related contributions to UNDP SURGE for country offices; and
- Ensure proper coordination with the RBA Country Support and Country Oversight teams in the Regional Hub and HQ.
2. Support Policy Development
- Lead the integration of UNDP’s work on the disaster risk reduction, recovery and resilience thematic areas within the region into a coherent policy and programming framework in support of the implementation of the UNDP Strategic Plan and Signature Solutions;
- Advise the Head of the Global team as well as the coordinators of the Global Nodes on DRR (Bangkok) and recovery (Nairobi) and RBA on policy gaps and opportunities for development of overall team priorities and work plans;
- Design policy initiatives for relevant contexts on emerging policy agendas collaborating with policy teams in HQ and communicating and representing perspectives and knowledge from Country Offices and the region;
- Critically assess and measure policy services in the designated area and recommend to COs, HQ and Hub Management new policy and strategic alignment options; and
- Foster policy innovation in the specific thematic area to enhance programme delivery.
3. Partnerships, Representation, Advocacy and Resource Mobilization
- Mobilize, foster and strengthen strategic partnerships with UN entities and other relevant regional bodies and provide substantive inputs to those partnerships in support of UNDP initiatives;
- Represent UNDP and engage in UN interagency coordination as well as in other fora with the aim to advance UNDP’s strategic agenda in developing disaster resilience particularly in the context of the Sustainable
- Development Agenda, the UN Reform, the Sustaining Peace Agenda, the Paris Agreement, the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction, and the SE4All;
- Advocate policy and positioning of this thematic area in various fora and through programme efforts, including academia and civil society;
- In collaboration with BERA, the Head of the Global Team, and RBA through the Regional Hub Director, lead and/or contribute to resource mobilization efforts to support the delivery of UNDP results and oversee the preparation of funding proposals, donor briefings in the thematic area; Set the overall direction for the regional team, including roles and responsibilities, accountability and reporting.
- Overall Management and Resource Mobilization.
Required Skills and Experience
Advanced university degree (Master or equivalent) in Disaster Risk Reduction, Climate Change, Economics, Public Administration, social sciences or related disciplines.
- At least 10 years of professional work experience leading teams, providing policy and programme advice and pioneering approaches in the general area of disaster risk reduction, recovery and resilience in different development contexts.
- Experience in designing and delivering disaster risk reduction and recovery related policy and programme support that fosters linkages with resilience, climate change and other themes.
- Proven ability to turn knowledge of global and regional DRR and recovery policies, frameworks and principles into policy, strategic and/or practical guidance.
- Ability to establish networks and partnrships with knowledge and experience of UNDP and UN system policies and programming.
- Strong and relevant experience working in developing country settings and disaster prone regions is required, including experience in disaster/crisis contexts.
- Experience working in the Africa region is an asset.
Fluency in English, both written and oral is reqiured. Fluency in French is strongly desirable. Working knowledge of another UN language, in particular Portuguese, is an asset.
- Describe any additional qualifications
- Non-Smoking environment
Application closing date: 31 July 2019