Consultancy – Communication for Development Consultants Roster
Interested in this role? Chat to UNICEF recruiters directly at the upcoming Global Careers For Spanish Nationals event on 14 November.
Job description/Technical background:
Approved candidates could be offered short term surge and / or long-term deployment across UNICEF that can range in topics but might fall under any of the technical areas listed below. Since this announcement is to build two distinct rosters (development context and humanitarian), the list of technical areas below might not apply to all candidates for all rosters. Across the rosters, we are looking for applicants with some combination of the following technical areas of expertise.
Successful candidates for both rosters will have demonstrated experience in one or more of these areas:
- C4D Programme management and implementation
- C4D Research and Analysis
- C4D planning and Strategy Development
- C4D curriculum development, training and facilitation
- C4D Creative strategy and material development
- C4D documentation and report writing
- C4D Systems strengthening, capacity assessment and development
- C4D Monitoring and Evaluation
- C4D-related News media engagement, capacity building and advocacy
- Community engagement and social mobilization
- Behaviour Change Communication
- C4D knowledge management
- C4D Innovations and new technologies
In addition, successful candidates for the humanitarian roster will have experience in one or more of the following areas
- Risk Communication, C4D, and/or Community Engagement in Ebola outbreak
- Risk Communication, C4D, and/or Community Engagement in other disease outbreaks
- Risk communication, C4D and/or Community engagement in humanitarian contexts (natural disasters, conflict, displacement etc)
- C4D integrated planning and strategy development for emergency preparedness and response
- Community Feedback system for accountability to affected people
- Cluster or working group leadership, especially interagency
- Developing monitoring systems and rapid assessments to inform C4D response
- Documentation and knowledge management
- Key Competencies: Dependent on specific consultancy
An advanced university degree in one of the following fields is required: social and behavioural science, sociology, anthropology, psychology, education, communication, communication for development, public relations or another relevant technical field.
The level of experience required will vary according to the specific positions, starting at a minimum of 2 years for a junior level position, and up to a minimum of 10 years for senior level position, at the national and international levels.
Some of the typical qualifications required for UNICEF C4D positions are listed below. To be considered for the Rosters, successful candidates will have demonstrated competency in at least one of the following areas. Applicants with expertise in multiple areas will have an advantage.
- Experience and/or training in the application of social change theories and current developments and new approaches in the field of social and behaviour change communication, and demonstrated ability to apply them participatory processes, media, strategic communication planning, behaviour analysis, formative research and evaluation and/or capacity building.
- Strong technical knowledge and demonstrated experience in in designing tools and strategies for quantitative, qualitative and/or participatory research in the fields of C4D, including, for example, research into drivers of social and behaviour change identification; formative research; monitoring and evaluation of social and behavioural communication interventions and/or community engagement.
- Demonstrated experience in designing rapid assessments in humanitarian context and disease outbreaks including behaviour identification; formative research; monitoring and evaluation of social and behavioural communication interventions and/or applying community engagement standards.
- Proven experience in C4D capacity development, including systems strengthening and institutional integration of C4D; development and delivery of training programs; development of online learning tools, and/or facilitation.
- Demonstrated experiences in developing theories of change and linking a chain of causal results.
- Proven experience in the design and development of C4D strategies and action plans for specific C4D interventions, sector programmes, or country programmes.
- Demonstrated expertise in knowledge management, including for example development of C4D online and offline knowledge sharing platforms; development of case studies; reporting and documentation of social change processes in development programmes.
- Demonstrated expertise in use of ICTs for C4D, including, but not limited to, the use of U-Report, Rapid Pro, Internet of Good things, or other new media and technological innovations.
- Demonstrated skills in effectively packaging and communicating C4D-related data and results in emergencies.
- Specialized expertise in application of C4D within priority sectors or thematic areas related to UNICEF’s Strategic Plan 2018-2021, as per link https://www.unicef.org/publications/files/UNICEF_Strategic_Plan_2018-2021.pdf
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks within agreed deadlines.
- Knowledge and experience of UNICEF programmes of cooperation and the human rights-based approach to programming is considered as an asset.
- Experience in a UN system agency or international development organization is considered an asset. Experience working in a developing country is considered an asset, as well as experience with working in emergencies.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to work with and as a part of teams.
- Strong writing skills in English language and/or another UN language.
In addition, to be considered for the humanitarian roster, applicants should have demonstrated expertise/experience in at least one of the following:
- Proven experience in the design and development of C4D in emergency preparedness and response strategies and action plans for specific humanitarian situations including disease outbreaks with sectors, clusters and interagency partners/governments.
- At least 2-5 years of experience working in emergencies as part of a C4D team.
- At least 2 years of experience in emergency related tools and materials development, capacity development; development and delivery of trainings in humanitarian contexts.
- Relevant expertise and experience in documenting case studies, fact sheets and sitreps in humanitarian responses.
- Experience in coordinating and/or facilitating multi-agency C4D approaches as related to preparedness, response, research, planning and implementation in humanitarian contexts
- Familiarity and experience in setting up community feedback mechanisms with local partners.
- Willingness and ability work in a non-family duty stations on short notice.