Application closing date: 11 October 2018
The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. In Asia Pacific, UN Environment operates through its Asia Pacific Office and works in 41 countries in the region. UN Environment’s Ecosystems Division works with international and national partners, providing technical assistance and advisory services for the implementation of environmental policy, and strengthening the environmental management capacity of developing countries and countries with economies in transition.
The Least Developed Countries Fund (LDCF)-financed project “Catalysing ecosystem restoration for climate resilient natural capital and rural livelihoods in degraded forests and rangelands of Nepal” seeks to build on several ongoing baseline projects, including the Leasehold Forestry Programme (LFP), the Multi-Stakeholder Forestry Project (MSFP), the Tree Improvement Programme (TIP), the Building Climate Resilience of Watersheds in Mountain Eco-Regions project (BCRWMER) and the Livestock Service Development and Extension Programme (LDSEP). The project will be implemented by UN Environment and executed by the Ministry of Forests and Environment.
Under the direct supervision of Project Coordinator in close coordination with Project Manager and Global Environment Facility (GEF) Task Manager for Nepal project, the Administration and Financial Officer (AFO) will be responsible for the following:
- Standardise the finance and accounting systems of the project while maintaining compatibility with the government and UNEP financial accounting procedures.
- Prepare revisions of the budget and assist in the preparation of the AWPs.
- Comply and verify budget and accounting data by researching files, calculating costs and estimating anticipated expenditures from readily available information sources.
- Prepare status reports, progress reports and other financial reports.
- Process all types of payment requests for settlement purposes including quarterly advances to the partners upon joint review.
- Prepare periodic accounting records by recording receipts, disbursements (ledgers, cashbooks, vouchers, etc.) and reconciling data for recurring or financial reports and assist in preparation of annual procurement plans.
- Undertake project financial closure formalities including submission of terminal reports, transfer and disposal of equipment, processing of semi-final revisions, and support professional staff in preparing the terminal assessment reports.
- Assist in the timely issuance of contracts and assurance of other eligible entitlements of the project personnel, experts, and experts by preparing annual recruitment plans.
- Support PM to prepare the public auditing guideline and involve frequently in such activities in the project field.
- Maintain financial discipline, governance and transparency in the resource use in the project.
- The AFO will work closely with the Project Coordinator (PC), Project Manager (PM), Technical Adviser (TA) and Task Manager (TM) to ensure that information in financial management of the project is updated including preparing quarterly, half yearly and annual budget plan as well as financial reporting as per the reporting format of PCA.
- The AFO will ensure that annual audit is completed in timely manner as well as support any external auditor assigned by UN Environment.
- Bachelor degree in account and finance with demonstrable knowledge on financial analysis. Master’s degree will be added advantage.
- A minimum of 5 years relevant work experience.
- Some programme knowledge on environment, forest, climate change and ecological restoration are an asset.
- Experience in the public participation in development process associated with environment and sustainable development an asset.
- Experience in working and collaborating with local authorities an asset.
- Experience in government account and finance system and working experience with government institutions will be an asset.
- Experience in working with multicultural environment.
- Excellent knowledge of English and Nepalese including writing and communication skills.