Application closing date: 21 November 2018
Background Information – Afghanistan
UNOPS strategy for Afghanistan is aimed at providing maximum support to the Government and people of Afghanistan though the delivery of projects and services in line with the government’s own priorities. The UNOPS Afghanistan Operation Center (AFOC) has been established as an organizational mechanism to deliver a range of projects for which UNOPS has been designated as the implementation agency. At present, UNOPS AFOC is implementing a number of projects in a range of sectors including infrastructure (roads and schools) development, capacity building to various ministries, and environmental protection, among others, on behalf of the Government of Afghanistan and the donor community.
The functional objective of UNOPS AFOC is to deliver projects in an efficient and effective manner, to achieve the development outcomes sought by the Government of Afghanistan and the donor community, where capacity building is always considered and encouraged. The aim of UNOPS AFOC is to provide implementation services to the Government of Afghanistan, the donor community and partner agencies in the reconstruction and development of the country. In doing so, UNOPS aims to exceed client expectations in the delivery of quality services throughout the country.
Under the overall guidance and direction of the Project Manager, and in close coordination with the Senior Road Engineer, QA/QC Engineer, Surveyor and other staff, the Bridge Engineer will provide his/her technical expertise to the project by contributing to ensure the Bridge is designed and constructed in accordance with the national and international policies, guidelines and specifications. The Bridge Engineer will review the design documents, drawings, specifications and work methodologies and will supervise the contractor’s construction activities to ensure that Project is within time, budget and to the required standard of quality as per the Project Quality Strategy and Quality Control Plan.
Specific responsibilities and duties include, but are not limited to:
- Establish a procedure to develop standard documentation for the bridge works under construction;
- Review the existing standard documentation for the construction of new Makroyan Bridge in Kabul City and propose any improvements deemed necessary;
- Make any necessary changes in the design drawings as per the site conditions;
- Review the bills of quantity as per the final design drawings and calculate the final quantities;
- In collaboration with the Contractor, check and verify the suitability of bridge locations recommended by the design team;
- Verification and checking of setting outs as per the Construction drawings for the start of the construction of new structure;
- Review and verify the proposed design changes submitted by the design team;
- Review and verify the Contractor’s submitted method statements for increased safety of foundation design and provide technical inputs as per project technical specification standards and guidelines;
- Review the Contractor’s QA/QC Plan and inspection testing plan (ITP) to ensure sampling, testing and inspection of materials are carried out regularly and works are implemented in compliance with construction drawings and technical specifications;
- Conduct quality assurance for the bridge under construction;
- Supervise on-site works carried out by the Contractor closely on a day to day basis to ensure the quality of the works is monitored and controlled as per specification requirements;
- In collaboration with the Surveyor, advise on appropriate location for the bridge construction;
- Manage and coordinate the fabrication process, including launching and placing, in conjunction with the Contractor;
- Monitor the construction of the bridge foundations. Ensure QA/QC Engineers are undertaking testing of safe bearing pressures;
- Review QA/QC site visit and materials testing reports to ensure sampling, testing and inspection of materials are carried out regularly and works are implemented in compliance with design specifications;
- Provide technical advice and assistance to the Contractor to ensure that quality materials are used;
- Provide technical advice and on-the-job training to Kabul Municipality Engineers and the Contractor staff in bridge design and construction techniques including good practices and troubleshooting methods;
- Prepare and submit professionally progress reports to the Project Manager at intervals agreed upon;
- Ensure safety and health of everyone involved in the project and general public by identifying risks and threats, planning, implementing and maintaining internationally acceptable safety standards in all aspects, at all stages of the project;
- Maintain good relations with all stakeholders and local authorities;
- Assist the Project Manager in the preparation of various project reports when necessary.
- Provide expert advice to all stakeholders including the Contractor, Project Manager, project staff, clients and donor on Bridge Construction related works when required;
- Review and endorse Interim Payment Certificate for the works submitted by the Contractor;
- Review and verify the contractors’ temporary works design and check that Form work and the placing of steel reinforcements is correctly in place;
- Have a good understanding and knowledge of project Design Standards, Construction Technical Specifications, preambles to BOQ (method of measurements), General and Particular Conditions of Contract (FIDIC);
- Ensure that AFOC/UNOPS internal policies and procedures are followed;
- Perform any other duty in line with the ToR as requested by the Project Manager
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or similar field from a recognized University.
- A Master’s Degree is preferred.
- Minimum 4 years’ experience in the construction of bridges and road related structures, or a minimum of 2 years’ experience with a Master’s Degree.
- Ability to produce drawings and design documentation using AutoCAD or similar software.
- Proficient in the use of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and experience in handling web-based management systems.
- Proven experience of project implementation in close collaboration with Government authorities and community organizations.
- Previous work experience with the UNOPS is preferred.
- Knowledge of UNOPS/UN rules and regulations preferred.
Excellent knowledge of both written and oral English and Dari is required.