Application closing date: 23 October 2018
Background Information – Myanmar
Myanmar is one of UNOPS’ leading offices in Asia, acting as fund manager for three of the largest development programmes in the country, namely the Three Millennium Development Goal Fund (3MDG), the Livelihood and Food Security Fund (LIFT) and the Joint Peace Fund (JPF). In addition, UNOPS is Principal Recipient for the Global Fund in Myanmar and for the Global Fund’s regional artemisinin-resistance initiative targeting drug resistant malaria in the greater Mekong sub-region. UNOPS provides procurement, infrastructure and project management services to a wide range of organizations in the country, including the Government of Myanmar, international development partners, other UN agencies, NGOs and INGOs. UNOPS plays a critical role in ensuring that the quality of services provided to its partners meets stringent requirements of speed, efficiency and cost effectiveness.
Background Information – Job-specific
UNOPS is Fund Manager for the Livelihoods and Food Security Fund (LIFT), a multi-donor fund established in 2009 to address food insecurity and income poverty in Myanmar. LIFT’s designated outcomes are improvements in income, resilience, nutrition, and pro-poor policy developments. So far, LIFT has reached more than 7.2 million people, or roughly 20 per cent of Myanmar’s population; and is active in almost half the country’s townships. LIFT is currently refreshing its strategy to guide the next five years programming from 2019.
The position is under the direct supervision of the Fund Director and works in close collaboration with LIFT teams in Programmes, MEAL (Monitoring and Evaluation for Accountability and Learning), Policy and Knowledge Management. He/she works in accordance with UNOPS policies, procedures and practices.
1. Develop and implement an external communication strategy for LIFT, setting out the key communications challenges faced by LIFT and how these will be addressed.
2. Communicate LIFT’s work, including its activities and results, to a wide range of stakeholders through key products and events, including:
- Delivering LIFT’s flagship communications products, the annual and semi-annual reports, both long and highlights versions, in both English and Myanmar language versions in a timely manner
- Supporting the learning events to showcase LIFT and its partners organizing report launches and knowledge-sharing events
- Preparing informative material on LIFT-funded projects and beneficiaries for use by donors, media and other stakeholders
- Maintain networks for the dissemination of results, good practice and lessons, studies and other research activities
- Supporting major workshops and international days with events and materials
3. Lead a step-increase in public visibility of LIFT’s work and donors, through:
- ensuring effective use of tools of mass communication and social media
- ensuring easy web-based access to information about LIFT
- identifying and obtaining feature stories, video, photography and other materials to support LIFT and global advocacy efforts
- pursue and manage an increase in public messaging through a format appropriate for Myanmar
4. Lead and supervise the LIFT communications team (two staff and interns), through:
- Team workplan setting and review
- Identifying and supporting growth opportunities, through delegation, exposure or coaching
5. Support the LIFT Fund Management team in ensuring that monitoring and evaluation evidence generated by LIFT is used effectively to inform programme and policy development in Myanmar.
6. Support the LIFT Fund Board in key communication tasks, including:
- ensuring that succinct and accurate minutes are taken of all Fund Board meetings
- providing good quality monthly updates of LIFT activities to the Fund Board and Donor Consortium
- providing Fund Board and donor missions with high-quality briefing kits before each visit
7. Ensure appropriate visibility for LIFT and its donors with all stakeholders, including:
- creating and implementing visibility guidelines
- ensuring that the contributions from donors and the role of UNOPS in LIFT are given appropriate coverage and visibility in all publications, promotional activities (e.g. print/media, audio/video, etc.) and on the website
- assess the communications materials of LIFT partners to ensure that they are appropriate, relevant and in line with LIFT’s visibility guidelines
- providing accurate information to the local press including press statements
- ensuring rapid co-ordination of responses to questions and queries raised about LIFT
- ensuring appropriate use by the Fund Manager and implementing partners of the LIFT logo and the logos of all donors to LIFT
Master degree in communication, media studies, journalism, development studies, international, public relations or related filed is required. A Bachelor’s degree with an additional two years of similar experience is considered as equivalent.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in the development and implementation of external communications strategies, external relations and/or other strategic communication roles is required.
- Experience in development projects, preferably in the area of livelihoods and food security, in a developing country, is highly desired.
- Significant experience in South-East Asia would be an asset.
- Knowledge of the political, economic and social situation in Myanmar is desirable.
- Proven ability to write excellent technical reports and policy briefs in the area of agriculture and/or rural development are highly preferred.
- Excellent presentation skills would be an asset.
Fluency in both written and spoken English is required. Knowledge of Myanmar language would be an asset.