Application closing date: 13 November 2018
UNOPS Hub in Amman
The UNOPS Hub in Amman implements projects in Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, Syria, Turkey, and Yemen, in partnership with bilateral donors, national governments, and other UN agencies. With an established presence across the region, the office runs operations including large-scale procurement, project development, and technical management, and provides financial, human resources, and infrastructure-related services. The functional objective of UNOPS Hub in Amman is to deliver its projects in an efficient and effective manner and in line with the principles, rules and regulations of UNOPS, in order to support the response to the current needs and national priorities in the region.
The Database Officer will work under the overall direction and supervision of the PM performing the below duties:
- Determine the primary data and information elements that are required internally and externally to support the project
- Design, develop and manage databases, spreadsheets and other data tools
- Understand, document, and ensure the quality of high-value data for accuracy, consistency and comparability
- Consolidate operational information on a regular schedule to support analysis and design and implement sustainable information management and dissemination systems for data collections
- Develop and implement proper backup, restore, data validation, and security procedures to ensure data integrity and availability
- Propose and implement upgrades to the database webpage, data entry and data storing systems
- Revise the guidelines of using database ensuring clarity and explicitly in terms of using the database and provide visual guidelines
- Contribute new ideas for improving the design and the data engine, quality and timeliness of current issues. Develop ways of communicating messages and transforming it into web based products.
- Act as a focal point/central instrument for the collection, analysis and dissemination of information relevant to the project activities.
- Organize, design and carry out the evaluation and analysis of datasets related to the project,
- Develop data standards and advise on the application of these.
- Participate in the development, implementation and management of new indicators
- Understand, document and ensure the quality of high-value data for accuracy, consistency and comparability
- Produce and update information products such as maps, charts and infographics by turning data into graphical products to convey messages and a storyline as well as support strategic and operational decision-making
- Support the project manager with producing reporting templates and procedures as well as reports, such as situation reports and briefing papers for partners, other UN agencies, head offices, government, donors and other stakeholders
- Revise the method of correspondence and communication between data management staff and external stakeholders
- Provide training on data collection and input, information systems and standards to colleagues, which may include visit of field offices to provide training and technical support as well as online training
- Provide maintenance and end user technical support in issues relating to the database use and administration, including trouble-shooting for data entry and access to the existing database
- Provide support on on-going maintenance, design and development of content on vimye.org and other relevant web platforms
- Provide overall quality control for vimye.org and ensure content is current, comprehensive and follows relevant metadata standards
- Build / implement and/or update a web application for the project, which should include the following features: content management system, news items, easy to use navigation system, document repository, statistics
Performs other related duties, as may be assigned by the project manager or direct supervisor.
- A Master’s degree in computer science, information management or related field is required.
- Additional two years of similar experience and training with a Bachelor’s degree and at least one programming certificate will be considered as equivalent.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience in designing and programming database management system is required. Must be able to perform software development fundamentals, problem solving, debugging, tuning, and database security is required.
- 1 year of experience in managing database under server environment including installation, backup, debugging, SQL and VBA scripting is required.
- Experience in using .Net would be an asset.
- Experience in writing and maintaining database design documentation and operating manual would be an asset.
- Experience in training or assisting personnel in the use of database management and different software is desirable.
- Fluency in both English and Arabic is required.