Background Information – Job-specific – Project Manager
UNOPS and the ECA have partnered together to deliver on a project that will put in place the critical business systems and services to enable the Economic Commission for Africa (ECA) to go beyond its current regular operations and effectively deliver on its Business Plan mandate of becoming Africa’s premier think tank. Five specific outcomes are foreseen, which are the results of the implementation plans of four corporate strategies introduced for communications, publications, knowledge management and ICT for Development. When attained, the outcomes will result in a sustainable increase in the visibility and impact of the organization’s work in the areas of policy research and knowledge delivery. This recruitment initiative is carried out by UNOPS in support of ECA’s Public Information and Knowledge Management Division (PIKMD) strategic intent. It is with this objective that UNOPS advertises these opportunities in partnership with ECA.
1. General Background
The Project Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the project(s) and provides services to the different donors, partners and beneficiaries. He/she is expected to meet and exceed the organizations performance and delivery goals.
2. Purpose and Scope of Assignment
The project manager is responsible to produce/read the project initiation documents (PID), Legal Agreement and have a thorough understanding of the terms, conditions, and the respective roles and responsibilities of the partners/stakeholders to ensure the project(s) products are capable of meeting the business cases for both UNOPS and the client. Success of the project(s) and hence Project Manager will be based on the Success Criteria of UNOPS engagements which are linked to the below responsibilities. The duties and responsibilities of the Project Manager Level 2 are similar to that of the Project Manager Level 3, with the difference in grades being determined by the project(s) level, complexity and level of responsibility of the specific position. A project manager at this level would normally be responsible for one or more UNOPS Level 2 project(s). A project manager at this level would likely be expected to manage a mid-sized project with mid-level risk or complexity. The project would rely on a number of external suppliers for its successful delivery, managing tight timeline with some flexibility. The project manager is responsible for all aspects of the project life cycle. S/he must be able to apply, with some degree of autonomy, the below duties and responsibilities of the project success criteria:
- Establish solid working relationship with the project board (Executive, Senior Users and Senior Suppliers), client and key stakeholders
- Manage communications and ensure stakeholders are aware of project activities, progress, exceptions and are in a position to accept handover products
- Advise the client on issues that may impact the achievement of their outcomes (including issues of sustainability and post project requirements such as maintenance)
- Manage the information flows between the Project Board/Director and the project(s)
- Delivery and Performance:
- Develop and maintain project plans
- Implement approved project plans (including the establishment of milestones) within tolerances set by the project board
- Embed sustainability dimensions including social and gender inclusion, environmental and economic aspects into project life cycle.
- Manage the production of the required products, taking responsibility for overall progress and use of resources and initiating corrective action where necessary
- Liaise with any external suppliers or account managers
- Authorize Work Packages
- Advise the Project Board and Manager of any deviations from the plan
- Identify and manage risks so that maximum benefit to client and stakeholders is achieved
- Manage and review product quality and ensure products are accepted
- Monitor and evaluate the performance of service providers
- Identify and report potential business opportunities for UNOPS to supervisor
- Identify and report threats to UNOPS internal business case to a supervisor
Follow the Project Management Cycle Instructions and ensure that all organizational policy is complied with (Organizational Directives and Administrative Instructions) Prepare/adapt the following plans for approval by the Project Board: I. Project Initiation Documentation; II. Stage/Exception Plans and relevant Product Descriptions Prepare the following reports: i. Highlight Reports
ii. End-Stage Reports
iii. Operational Closure Checklist
iv. End Project Report
v. Handover Report
- Maintain the following: i. Electronic Blue File; ii. Procurement, HR and Finance files as required by those practices.
- Ensure that all expenditure complies with UNOPS Financial Rules and Regulations (FRR).
- Manage budgets, cash flow and obligations to ensure that deliverables are met and payments to contractors and personnel are received on time.
- Understand and manage UNOPS overheads, allocable charges, and related corporate charges as they apply to the project
- Understand the unique structures of the UN and budget appropriately for personnel
- Manage and remain accountable for expenditures against the budget (based on accurate financial reports)Where the Project Manager has no delegation as a committing officer, s/he retains these responsibilities and will
- monitor and instruct/request others to carry out the relevant commitments and disbursements.
- Participate in the relevant Communities of Practice
- Actively interact with other PMs and the PM community to share case studies, lessons learned and best practice on the Knowledge System.
- Provide feedback to Practice Leads on policy, supporting guidance with an aim towards continuous improvement of UNOPS policies
- Complete lessons learned as per reporting format
- Incorporate lessons learned from others as per planning format
- Lead and motivate the project management team
- Ensure that behavioural expectations of team members are established
- Ensure that performance reviews are conducted
- Identify outstanding staff and bring them to the attention of the Director
- Have a thorough understanding of UNOPS personnel contract modalities (including ICA and Staff)
- Select, recruit and train team as required by project plans
- Perform the Team Manager role, unless appointed to another person(s)
- Perform Project Support role, unless appointed to another person or corporate/programme function
- Ensure safety and security for all personnel and comply with UN standards
Advanced University Degree in Project Management, Business Administration, International Relations, Political/Security/Development Studies, or other relevant discipline. University Degree (bachelor’s degree / first level) with a combination of 2 additional years of relevant professional experience in Project Management, Business Administration, International Relations, Political/Security/Development Studies, or other relevant discipline, may be accepted in lieu of the advance university degree. PRINCE2 Practitioner Certification – Preferred Complete the UNOPS Project Management Foundation course (within one year after signing this TOR) A relevant combination of academic credentials and/or industry certifications and qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the university education. B. Work Experience
Five years (or more based on academic credentials) of progressive experience in project development and management, with focus on monitoring, reporting, development and coordination in either public or private sector organizations.
Additional Requirements: Experience in data analysis applications such as business intelligence systems is required. Experience in supporting the preparation of reports for governing and oversight bodies is desirable.
Language: Fluency in oral and written English is required.
Application Closing Date – 27 August 2019
In your application please specify that you found out about this opportunity on GCFjobs.com Veuillez indiquer dans votre candidature que vous avez consulté cette offre sur le site web GCFjobs.com