Application closing date: 16 October 2018
Background Information – Job-specific
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations.
In Serbia, UNOPS has been active since 2000, became the Project Centre (RSPC) in 2013, and was reclassified, due a growing portfolio, to Operations Centre (RSOC) at the beginning of 2017. UNOPS has been a reliable partner of the Government of the Republic of Serbia in providing support for demanding socio-economic reforms and facilitating accession to the European Union.
Currently, the RSOC is implementing ten projects focussed on: sustainable municipal development, recovery from damages incurred by May 2014 floods in Serbia and building climate-resilient infrastructure, creation of more favourable environment for employability, business and infrastructure growth, enhanced social inclusion via durable housing solutions and access to health, education and jobs for the most vulnerable population. All projects have good governance and gender equality as transversal theme. UNOPS projects are contextualised within the broader Sustainable Development Goals framework and objectives.
The Head of Programme reports directly to the Serbia Office Director who provides direction and general supervision. The Head of Programme is responsible for programme development planning and preparation and for managing all stages of programming to achieve results in the area/s of responsibility. The role contributes to the development and implementation of strategies to enhance the competencies and position of UNOPS in sustainable project management and services to partners, stakeholders and UN system partners.
Summary of key results:
- Programme governance, implementation and monitoring
- Programme development and planning
- Manage programme resources
- Partnership networking and advocacy
- Knowledge management and innovation
Programme governance, implementation and monitoring
- Accept responsibility for project portfolio oversight as delegated by the Serbia Office Director and through the role of Project Executive on Project Boards. Establish and execute the programme implementation plans in collaboration with the team and partners, including setting objectives, performance measurements, standards and results expected to ensure timely and client-oriented services.
- Monitor and supervise the timely and cost-effective implementation of the programme according to UNOPS goals and partner expectations, approved budget and full cost recovery.
- Supervise the Programme Management Office (PMO) to ensure that project management policies, processes and methods are followed and practiced according to the UNOPS standards, best project management practices are promoted, and overall assurance of projects is provided.
- Mentor and assist Project Managers in planning, execution and delivery of allocated projects, ensuring incorporation of best practice project management processes.
- Facilitate timely and accurate project tracking, analysis of outputs, and reporting.
- Develop and implement the programme governance framework.
Programme development and planning
- Support the Serbia Office Director in ensuring the financial sustainability of the programme and delivery of desired results, compliance with organisational strategies, rules, regulations and standards of performance.
- Submit mandated reports and critical issues to the Serbia Office Director and clients, to drive future process improvement and business development planning.
- Analyse and keep abreast of political and development trends in the geographical area, to identify and propose to the Serbia Office Director areas for UNOPS engagement and support based on priorities in the relevant geography, strategic areas of focus and comparative advantage.
- Manage and oversee the preparation of programme documents (including business cases/strategies, policy briefs, programme plans and risk assessments).
- Ensure the accurate and timely completion of programme/business recommendations for the review and approval of the Serbia Office Director.
- Consult and collaborate with internal and external colleagues and partners to ensure linkages, consistency, and harmonisation of approaches and compliance with guidelines, framework and standards of accountability, integrity and performance.
Manage programme resources
- Plan and propose to the Serbia Office Director required programme resources (human and financial).
- Submit revenue and expenditure forecasts based on UNOPS and Serbia Office financial goals.
- Determine pricing strategies based on UNOPS pricing policy and models to ensure an appropriate balance between revenue and development capacity within UN mandate and spirit
- Manage programme resources in accordance with UNOPS standards of ethics, integrity and accountability framework and financial sustainability.
- Plan, recruit, manage and develop programme personnel/technical experts with the skills and competencies needed to ensure optimum performance and encouraging the formation of diverse teams in term of gender and geography.
- Promote teamwork, collaboration and diversity by providing the programme team with clear direction, objectives and guidance to enable them to perform their duties responsibly, effectively and efficiently.
- Foster a positive work environment, respectful of both men and women, and ensure that the highest standards of conduct are observed.
- Plan, conduct and/or respond to UNOPS performance evaluation reviews and surveys.
Partnership, networking and advocacy
- Build and strengthen strategic partnerships through active networking, advocacy and effective communication of UNOPS competencies in project service delivery and management.
- Support the business development function by identifying and developing new business and partnership/customer opportunities.
- Collaborate with the Partnerships function to prepare proposals and partnerships engagement.
- Contribute to current and future growth plans for the Serbia Office, ensuring alignment with the UNOPS Strategic Plan.
- Support Communication Specialists to develop communication strategies to maximise communication impact and outreach and build awareness of UNOPS goals and competencies to reinforce UNOPS competitive edge as a provider of sustainable projects results.
- At the request of the Serbia Office Director participate and/or represent the Serbia Office in inter-agency discussions and planning to ensure UNOPS position, interests and priorities are fully considered.
Knowledge management and innovation
- Keep abreast of and incorporate latest/best practices, approaches and technology to enhance the programme delivery and results.
- Institutionalise and share best practices and lessons learned for corporate development planning and knowledge building.
- Draft policy papers and/or recommend policy changes to align operations with changing environment.
- Lead the planning, implementation and organization of strategic capacity building of personnel, clients and stakeholders within the programme.
- A Master’s degree preferably in business administration, project management, public administration, social science or other relevant related field is required.
- A combination of Bachelor’s degree with an additional two years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of seven years of experience in managing projects, programmes, partnerships and business development that combines strategic and managerial leadership in social development, business development, management
- advisory services, fund management, executive management and/or programme management planning and operations in a large international and/or corporate organization is required.
- Some experience in UN system organizations preferably in a developing country is desirable.
- Previous experience from the region is an asset.
- Experience working with EU funded projects will be considered as an advantage.
- Experience working with key stakeholder coordination, donor relationships management is highly desirable.
- Fluency in English and Serbian is required.
- Driving license and ability to travel independently is required.
- PRINCE2® Foundation/Practitioner an asset, but required completion within first 6 months of onboarding.
- Programme/Project Management Professional (MSP® or PMI-PgMP/PMI-PMP) an asset.