Interested in this profile? Speak directly to UNOPS at our upcoming online event – Women in Tech
Please note: this is a generic job description for a vacancy regularly open during the year but not currently.
Job categories: IT
Contract type: Temporary Appointment
Contract level: TA – G5
Background Information – Job-specific
This is a position in UNOPS for supporting projects carried out for the United Nations Secretariat. The incumbent of this position will be a staff member of UNOPS under its full responsibility. Within the EAC – America programme, this post will report to the Lead Web Developer in the Web Services Development Group in architecting and developing Drupal websites. S/he will assist with customization or development, as well as maintainance of Drupal 7 and Drupal 8 modules and libraries; will assist with the requirements gathering and review; assist with the migration of existing websites from a variety of WCMS platforms to UN standards based Drupal 7 and 8 websites; will assist with incident and problem resolution with Drupal websites.
The Information Systems Assistant – Drupal Developer will be responsible for the following duties:
- Assist with the development and the maintenance of full-life cycle implementations of Drupal-based solutions providing support to a focus on maintainability, reliability, scalability, security, and performance.
- Assist Manager with the performance of site-building activities, including assistance with creating and modifying views, contexts and blocks to match functionality specified in wire frames and designs.
- Provide assistance to the theme of responsive Drupal 7 and 8 websites and applications as per UN branding, accessibility, and multi-lingual standards.
- Help the Information Associate with the work related to the evaluation of user requirements, designs, and wire frames during the design and user experience phase.
- Support the preparation of technical documentation.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Impact of Results
This initiative will help support the development of a continuously maintained and enhanced Drupal UN platform with a common core. It will also support the rapid delivery of new low cost feature, enrich departmental websites in an Enterprise hosted environment. The initiative will also track UN website standards compliance KPI’s as part of the ICT strategy and the website governance project.
Integrity and inclusion: Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Leading Self and Others: Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Partnering: Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Result orientation: Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Agility: Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Solution Focused: Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Effective Communication: Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
Completion of secondary education (HS diploma); a first university degree may replace the required number of years of experience.
- A minimum of five years of experience in providing assistance to design, development, implementation and maintenance in developing Drupal 7 or Drupal 8 web sites.
- Experience in assisting with the development of responsive websites using frameworks such as Bootstrap.
- Proficiency in using Git for source control management.
- Experience with Agile project development and product delivery.
- Experience with REST API integrations
- Experience with MySQL and MariaDB databases.
- Ability to analyse requirements and write detailed technical / functional specifications.
- Ability to communicate software and system design architectures using tools like Visio and UML.
- Knowledge in automated testing, automated deployment processes, and continuous integration.
- Knowledge of cloud-based services, cloud architecture and information security;
- Supplemental training courses/technical certificate in information technology or other related fields.
- Knowledge of Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL).
- Knowledge of project management methodologies such as PRINCE2.
English (written and spoken) is required for this post. Knowledge of one or more official UN languages will be considered an asset.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Staff
Contract level: G5