Application closing date: 25 June 2019
Background Information – Job-specific
The Information Systems Officer will carry out his/her tasks within the Platform Support Unit in the Field Technology Service (FTS) at the UN ICT Facility, Valencia (UNICTFV). Under the overall supervision of UNOPS Senior Programme Manager, the incumbent works under overall guidance of the Chief Infrastructure and Operations Section at the UN ICT Facility, Valencia (UNICTFV) and under direct guidance for day-today operations of the Chief of the Platform Support Unit in the UNGSC Valencia, Spain. S/he provides specific expertise in the implementation and operation of the UN Hybrid Cloud strategy for the back end infrastructure including: storage arrays, SAN switches, processing cloud services and tools to monitor performance, availability and capacity of the hybrid environment.
This is a position in UNOPS for supporting projects carried out for or in the United Nations Secretariat. The incumbent of this position will be a staff member of UNOPS under its full responsibility.
The incumbent is responsible for the following duties:
- Help to architect and build automated cloud solutions, including cloud adoption plans, cloud management and monitoring, new cloud technologies integration, and data center migrations.
- Design, build, install, and maintain Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services cloud and on-prem infrastructure at data centers as well as overlay onto existing hosted server network.
- Be involved in systems engineering and configuration management frameworks, such as Ansible, to automate operational processes.
- Assume role as Technical Lead on deployment projects, including hands-on configuration of complex components.
- Participate in setting strategic technology directions to establish near term goals for cloud computing and services.
- Provide technical expertise and act as Subject Matter Expert to solve complex problems on network- and cloud-specific activities.
- Understands all domains of architecture and applies that knowledge to create repeatable and automated solutions to address complex business needs.
- Continually explore, evaluate and recommend advanced technologies to provide higher quality service, scalability and modern architectural standards.
- Manage a team of technology experts in Infrastructure technologies.
- Reorders job priorities for Team and self as needed.
- Works effectively in a fast paced and collaborative based environment.
- Other tasks and responsibilities as assigned
Impact of Results
The result of work of the Information Systems Officer impacts directly on delivery of services that satisfy the requirements of the Department as well as the performance of the services implemented in the DPO and Peace Keeping and Special Political Missions and headquarters. It will also ensure proper processes and methodologies are followed and implemented according to the latest of the industry standards. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring activities for all global locations are in line with the overall business targets and UN policies, rules and regulations.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in computer science or related field; a first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- Minimum 7 years as an IT Infrastructure architect including research, develop and deliver technical designs for Network, Storage, Computer, Data, Security, and Applications services are required.
- Minimum 5 years project management experience is required.
- Minimum 3 years in a large, enterprise environment is required. At international level is preferred.
- Cloud experience, preferably in Amazon Web Services (AWS) or Microsoft Azure is required.
- Experience with virtualization and containerization (e.g. VMware, KVM, Virtual Box, Docker) is required.
- Experience with automation software (e.g. Ansible, SCCM, cfengine) is required.
- Expertise with both Linux and Windows technologies and their use in delivering secure, highly available, mission critical enterprise-class solutions is required.
- Experience in the administration and performance tuning of application stacks (e.g. Tomcat, Apache) is required.
- Scripting skills (e.g. shell scripts, PowerShell, Python) is required.
- Networking knowledge (OSI network layers, TCP/IP) is required.
- Fluency in spoken and written English is a requirement
- Knowledge of a second UN language an advantage
- Amazon Web Services Solution Architect certification is desirable.
- Microsoft Azure Certified Solution Architect certification is desirable.
- ITIL Foundation certification is desirable.
- ITIL intermediate certification is desirable.
- PRINCE2 Practitioner certification or equivalent is desirable.