Interested in this role? Chat to UNOPS Recruiters at the upcoming Global Careers For Women event on 10 October 2019.
Wardak Prison houses approximately 300 inmates. The Department of State/International Narcotics and Law Enforcement (DoS/INL) approached UNOPS Afghanistan to discuss infrastructure improvement support for Wardak Prison. The Wardak Prison Rehabilitation Project will focus on life sustainment and security improvement.
The project outputs are:
- Appropriate detection systems for fire, heat and smoke installed and operational.
- Adequate lighting in place.
- Improved sewage system operational.
- Appropriate ventilation system functioning throughout the prison, as required.
- Electrical systems enhanced.
- Appropriate heating system operational.
- Fixtures certified as explosion/hazard proof.
- Improved and safe windows in place.
- Prison/cell doors certified at detention grade.
- Perimeter walls enhanced.
- The project will follow the International Building Code (IBC), the Unified Facilities Criteria (UFC) and UNOPS Technical Guidance for Prison Planning, including the Revised Standard Minimum Rules of the Treatment of Prisoners (Nelson Mandela Rules) for delivering these outputs.
Purpose and Scope of Assignment
The PM will have a thorough understanding of the terms, conditions and the respective roles and responsibilities of the partners and stakeholders as described in the Project Initiation Document (PID) and the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU). The PM is responsible for all aspects of the project life cycle, accomplishing with some degree of autonomy, the duties and tasks listed below:
- Establish solid working relationship with the Project Executive, Senior Users and Senior Suppliers.
- Manage communications and regularly and accurately inform stakeholders of project activities and progress.
- Quickly resolve any misunderstanding or confusion related to aspects of project delivery, finances or beneficiaries.
- Appraise the donor and stakeholders regarding sustainability and post project requirements such as maintenance and operations.
Delivery and Performance:
- Implement approved project plans within agreed tolerances.
- In designs, explicitly consider sustainability dimensions and appropriate technology suited to the capacity of the beneficiaries, particularly regarding simplicity of maintenance and operations.
- Ensure that designs receive a design certificate from IPMG.
- Ensure procurement of good and services in accordance with the UNOPS Procurement Manual and that the most appropriate solicitation method is used.
- Manage contractors in accordance with the Procurement Manual and the Project Management Manual (PMM).
- Ensure contractors faithfully observe all environmental and social safeguarding requirements and that workplace safety provisions are stringently applied.
- Work closely with the QA/QC team implementing recommendations and guidance accordingly.
- Identify and report potential business opportunities.
- Deliver the project according to the UNOPS Project Management Manual. This will include submission of the quarterly project plan and quarterly cash flow forecast.
- Manage budgets and cash flow and ensure the timely payments to contractors and personnel.
- Be accountable for expenditures against the budget.
- Prepare for and present at the Project Quarterly Assurance.
- Complete quarterly donor reports.
- Act as Project Manager in the quarterly project boards.
- Participate in the relevant Communities of Practice
- Actively interact with other PMs and the PM community sharing case studies, lessons learned and best practice on the Knowledge System.
- Complete lessons learned submissions in accordance with the PMM.
- Incorporate lessons learned from other projects and initiatives as is relevant.
- Lead and motivate the project team.
- Ensure the completion of performance in accordance with the annual performance cycle.
- Set goals and objectives for each team member and common goals and objectives for the team.
- Have a thorough understanding of the UNOPS contracting modalities particularly Individual Contractor Agreement (ICA) and CTG.
- Select, recruit and train team members.
- Ensure safety and security for all personnel as directed by the Country Director and guidance from UNDSS.
- Provide mentoring and capacity building to team members, both in technical and administrative areas.
- Represent UNOPS in discussions, meetings and ceremonies ensuring that UNOPS strengths as a partner of choice are evident.
Qualifications and Experience
Advanced University Degree in a relevant technical discipline (Architecture, Civil Engineering, Water Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Structural Engineering, etc.). A combination of Bachelor’s degree with an additional 2 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the education requirements outlined above. PRINCE2 Foundation (maybe be achieved within three months of commencing). A relevant combination of academic credentials and/or industry certifications and qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the university education.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience implementing and managing infrastructure projects.
- Experience in construction of institutional or government facilities.
- Experience in developing countries or post conflict environments is an asset.
- Experience managing construction contracts.
- Experience in writing progress reports and writing technical documents.
- Technical acumen, with the ability to understand technical project plans and documents.
- Knowledge of quality assurance methodologies.
- Experience in applying and overseeing workplace health and safety requirements.
- Proficient in MS Project or similar.
- Experience in risk management for infrastructure projects.
- Experience managing construction project teams of varying technical and administrative skillsets.
Closing date for applications: 27 September 2019 (midnight Copenhagen time)
In your application please specify that you found out about this opportunity on GCFjobs.com Veuillez indiquer dans votre candidature que vous avez consulté cette offre sur le site web GCFjobs.com