Interested in this role? Chat to UNOPS Recruiters at the upcoming Global Careers For Women event on 10 October 2019.
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information – Afghanistan
UNOPS strategy for Afghanistan is aimed at providing maximum support to the Government and people of Afghanistan through the delivery of projects and services in line with the government’s own priorities. The UNOPS Afghanistan Operation Center (AFOC) has been established as an organizational mechanism to deliver a range of projects for which UNOPS has been designated as the implementation agency. At present, UNOPS AFOC is implementing a number of projects in a range of sectors including infrastructure (roads and schools) development, capacity building to various ministries, and environmental protection, among others, on behalf of the Government of Afghanistan and the donor community.
The functional objective of UNOPS AFOC is to deliver projects in an efficient and effective manner, to achieve the development outcomes sought by the Government of Afghanistan and the donor community, where capacity building is always considered and encouraged. The aim of UNOPS AFOC is to provide implementation services to the Government of Afghanistan, the donor community and partner agencies in the reconstruction and development of the country. In doing so, UNOPS aims to exceed client expectations in the delivery of quality services throughout the country.
1. General Background
The Project for Development of Water Supply Facilities in Dehsabz South Area – Parcel 2.2 (JICA V), funded by the Government of Japan (GoJ) through the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA) involves the design review, construction and installation of water supply facilities which are intended to support the planned new Kabul City. The water supply facilities include the following specific project scope components for design review, procurement of construction works, construction supervision, financial management and reporting. Planned construction works outputs include the construction and installation of boreholes (testing and production wells), water pumping station, water transmission main, water pressure regulating reservoir and principle water distribution main system.
2. Purpose and Scope of Assignment
Under the overall supervision of the Project Manager and reporting directly to the Deputy Project Manager, the Surveyor for the project is expected to support the implementation of the project activities through the provision of technical expertise and the application of best practices in the project implementation. The Surveyor, who is expected to be working in the Project Site Office, will assist the QA/QC Engineer and Monitoring Engineers to oversee implementation of contract works in confirming to the technical specifications and approved design drawings.
Specifically, the Surveyor will be responsible for multiple construction sites and shall perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Supporting the Project Manager to ensure the overall and timely delivery of UNOPS JICA V Project in Kabul Province;
- Understanding the technical specification and scope of work of contractors that have been assigned to him/her by the Project Manager (or Deputy Project on behalf of Project Manager)
- Planning and conducting engineering surveys for the project water supply facilities and recording all site-related details;
- Preparing a contour map of pipelines and project sites;
- Assist the Project team in revising the design documents as per the proposed changes;
- Co-ordinate with Water Supply, Electronic Engineer, Mechanical Engineer, and other units as applicable, to ensure dissemination of surveying data;
- Checking the layout of the pipeline alignments and structures;
- Organise, conduct and supervise implementation of detailed topographic surveys of project water facilities at the construction stages;
- Conduct pre- and post-construction surveys and ensure the construction is in accordance with the approved design drawings and BoQ;
- Work closely with the project designers to ensure proper collection, dissemination and use of survey data;
- Ensure surveying equipment is well maintained and in good working condition;
- Report regularly to the Project Manager and keep the record of all survey related documents;
- Mentoring and building the capacity of counterpart surveyors;
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
3. Qualifications and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering/Geodesy or a relevant field from a recognized university;
B. Work Experience
- Minimum 4 years of work experience as surveyor in road construction and/or water supply pipeline distribution projects required;
- Proven experience of project implementation in close collaboration with the Government authorities and community organizations;
- Previous work experience with the United Nations or any of its agencies, partners and affiliate is desirable but not a requirement;
- Working knowledge of MS Office programs, MS Project, AutoCAD Civil 3D and other appropriate Design software;
- Knowledge of UN/UNOPS rules and regulations is an advantage;
- Fluency in both written and oral English is required;
Excellent knowledge of both written and oral English and Dari is required;
D. Key Competencies
- Proven ability to produce technical guidelines, conflict resolution, reporting;
- Good Organizational skills and knowledge of methods to measure contractor’s capacity;
- Fully proficient in computer software, MS Excel, MS Word, MS Project and good knowledge of Auto Cad;
- Negotiation skills to shape and influence agreements with vendors;
- Good communication (spoken and written) skills;
- Discretion and sound judgment in applying technical expertise to resolve day-to-day construction issues, and understanding of change control;
- Ability to work towards tight deadlines;
- Willingness to travel to / stay at the project sites for all the week;
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity;
Flexibility in working hours and agreement to undertake night shift duties if required.
Application Closing Date – 27 September 2019
In your application please specify that you found out about this opportunity on GCFjobs.com Veuillez indiquer dans votre candidature que vous avez consulté cette offre sur le site web GCFjobs.com