The deal person for this position will work collaboratively with Vocational Education and Training Authority (VETA – Mtwara and Lindi) teacher within welding and fabrication workshop by providing advice, coaching and where possible support other workshops in welding and fabrication related operations. He/she will provide inputs to VETA management and VSO on the best way to improve the workshop up to the standards desired/required by gas industry.
Participate in delivering curricula for training in vocational subject
- Review other developed curriculum concerning vocational studies on welding worldwide and share the best practice with tutors.
- Conduct meeting/ sessions with existing tutors to produce the curriculum which will suit Mtwara preferences.
- Strengthen institutional and staff technical capacity to understand and own the curriculum
Carries out special lecture/instruction requiring higher degree of competence for tutors and students
- Train and advise on various topics on welding
- Support staff by building their capacity on delivering welding courses.
- Provide practical skills to the tutors and students.
- Maintains welds on various items using a variety of processes (manual arc, tungsten inert gas, metallic inert gas, brazing, cement core drilling, sheet metal, steam-fitting, etc.) (e.g. gym bleachers, safety bars, lockers, carts, steamers, tools, electric motorized gates, recreational equipment welding, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring the availability and functioning of required items ensuring safety.
- Advice on how to repairs metal surfaces (e.g. doors, drain covers, fences, gates, grates, furniture, tools, parts, electric motorized gates, sheet metal, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring safe and efficient use of items.
- Facilitate installation of various items (e.g. backboards, serving lines, railings, fences, re-wiring trailer lights, etc.) for the purpose of completing projects safely and within established time frames.
- Maintains store, equipment, tools, vehicle, etc. for the purpose of ensuring the availability and functioning of required items and ensuring safety.
- Coordinates with administration and other trades for the purpose of completing projects/work orders efficiently.
- Requests equipment and supplies for the purpose of maintaining inventory and ensuring availability of required items.
- Responds to emergency situations as needed and/or assigned for the purpose of resolving immediate safety concerns.
Ability to apply teaching methodology, practical demonstrations and mentoring of teachers
- Apply new methodologies of teaching to enhance quality delivery of practical sessions within the welding and fabrication workshop
- Able to be innovative and creative to stimulate the learning process by designing various creative projects within the workshops that respond to the demands of the industries specifically on oil and gas related services.
- Observe and advise welding and fabrication teachers during class sessions and practicals to assess the competency and skills that respond to demands of industries.
Participates in Planning, design and administering continuing education courses needed
- Conduct researches and consultancy projects as appropriate
- Conduct needs assessment as and when appropriate
- Participate in setting out policies
- Participate in vocational curriculum review exercise and regulation of academic activities of the vocational centre in conjunction with assessment criteria and accrediting bodies.
Professional qualifications and experience:
- University degree in Welding and fabrication Engineering or Diploma in Vocational training or QTS certification with particular experience in Electrification, plant maintenance and installation
- Experience of three or more years in teaching methodology from vocational training facility or related institution is highly recommended for this position
- Have at least three years in maintenance department of a factory or an establishment such as a hospital, public utility company or office building.
- Have at least two years experience in the practical vocational training
- Experience in management information systems
- Building and Construction – Skills and knowledge on materials, methods, and the tools involved in the construction or repair of houses, buildings.
- Design – skills and knowledge on design techniques, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
- Production and Processing — Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
- Mechanical — Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Public Safety and Security — Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institutions.
- QTS in vocational training in welding and pipe fitting specialty.
- Facilitation and negotiation skills
- Computer literacy and ability to use effectively word processing (window, excel, word) and modern communication tools (internet, LAN, email, website surfing and related software)
- Confident in training, communication and presentation with competencies in coaching others
- Understanding Kiswahili would be an added advantage
- Good organizational and interpersonal skills
- Experience of working in a developing country.
- Experience in working with poor communities and community institution
- Flexible and adaptably
- Ability to work sensitively within a socially strong cultural environment,
- Able to use own initiative and communicate confidently and effectively with a wide range of stakeholders