Security Officer – FIT Pool – All Locations
Under the general supervision and guidance of your manager, you will be responsible for the following key duties:
- Lead your security team, ensuring the effective management of all security activity and resources to support country office programmes and operations.
- Ensure the development and maintenance of an effective security management communications system to enable rapid and coordinated security activities.
- Identify and build productive relationships with government agencies and national partners to align activities and optimise the best protection for staff, activities and facilities.
- Keep up to date with and advise on regional and local security developments and issues and the potential impact on WFP security and operational activities.
- Provide technical advice, guidance and support e.g. operational security requirements, security assessments and plans, to country offices to strengthen the capacity within security management and crisis readiness and preparedness, contributing to the development of country strategy, policies and planning.
- Represent WFP at national and inter-agency meetings e.g. Security Coordination cells, to contribute to technical discussions and exchange of knowledge and experience and advocate for the WFP position.
- Work in close collaboration with internal counterparts and external partners to align security activities with wider programmes.
- Support the maintenance of a regional security network among WFP security personnel.
- Identify potential security training and development opportunities and needs and facilitate training sessions as required to build the security capabilities of WFP and external partners.
- Oversee and prepare accurate and timely reporting e.g. mandatory ODF reports, that enable informed decision making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
- Support the monitoring and evaluation of WFP activities, providing technical analysis, interpretation and information as required to support the assessment of activity impact.
- Contribute to preparedness actions, providing technical recommendations and guidance and monitor the management of risks.
- Act in an assigned emergency response capacity as required, to meet emergency food assistance needs.
- Take responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives in all areas of work to ensure equal participation of women and men.
- Other as required.
Standard Minimum Requirements
- A minimum of eight (8) years working experience in Safety and Security Risk management, International Law, management of humanitarian operations in high risk security context or similar experience.
- Advanced University degree in security risk management, business administration, political/social science, psychology, criminal justice, law, international relations, humanitarian operations or a related field is required; OR first University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or relevant training/courses (SCP-SAPP or equivalent).
- Officer level diploma/certification obtained from a recognized Police/Military College/Senior Staff College with qualifying international experience in relevant field may be accepted in lieu of the first University degree.
- Fluency (level C) in both spoken and written English.
- Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or WFP’s working language, Portuguese.
The skills below will be considered a plus
- Experience providing support in the provision of technical security operations advice to strengthen the security management function of WFP and contributes to the development of country strategy, policies and planning.
- Experience managing large teams of staff.
- Analyzed complex issues using independent judgment and anticipate the potential strategic impact to create effective organizational policy and planning recommendations.
- Experience coordinating action/reports with external security entities.
- Strong commercial knowledge with the ability to develop and manage budgets, with frequently limited funding.