Ensure the integrity of accounting information by entering transactions, assisting with periodic consolidating and closing of accounts, researching account issues for compliance and improving quality control over financial transactions and financial reporting. Performs these tasks for Medair International and associated Foundations.
Medair Headquarters (HQ) provides operational guidance for country programmes and activities, along with both technical and compassionate support for our relief workers. Within our headquarters, we are also responsible for promoting the work of Medair to the world, to raise and manage the funds needed to run our life-saving and sustaining programmes. Our headquarters teams are also responsible for recruiting international and HQ staff, and like our field teams, we are committed to serve the world’s most vulnerable with practical and compassionate care.
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired and motivated by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure. Internationally recruited field and headquarters staff lead the organisation, supported by nationally recruited staff to implement programmes locally.
Medair Headquarters, Ecublens, near Lausanne, Switzerland
As soon as possible
Initial Contract Details
Full time, open-ended contract
Key Activity Areas
Finance & Accounting
- Prepares and records asset, liability, revenue, and expenses entries by compiling and analysing account information.
- Supports HQ Finance Manager & Team Leader Accounting in: maintaining and balancing sub-ledgers by verifying, posting and reconciling transactions and resolving discrepancies. Maintains general ledger by transferring sub-ledger balances; preparing a trial balance; reconciling entries.
- Summarizes financial status for monthly, quarterly and annual financial closes by collecting information from Programme Finance Officers; assisting with preparation of balance sheet, profit and loss, cash flow, funds flow and other supporting schedules and statements.
- Supports HQ Finance Manager and Team Leader Accounting in preparing budgets and monitoring BvA periodically.
- Supports external audit by analysing and scheduling general ledger accounts; providing information for auditors.
- Avoids legal challenges by complying with legal requirements.
- Ensures appropriate e-filing of financial information on finance department server and of hard-copy documents in archive.
- Protects organisation’s value by keeping information confidential.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organisations.
- Ensures all financial transactions are carried out in accordance with Medair guidelines and procedures and any donor requirements.
- Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls.
- Work with the HQ Finance Manager General Accounting and Team Leader Accounting on specific projects.
International Headquarters – Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, international team members, and external contacts.
- Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings.
- Instigate and contribute to prayer times within internationally recruited staff and HQ teams.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international programmes and HQ prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organisational needs.
- CPA or BSc/BA Accounting degree
- Swiss Federal Brevet in finance and accounting desirable
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written)
- Working knowledge of French (spoken and written) desirable
Experience / Competencies
- Proven accounting experience
- Understanding of NGO fund accounting desirable
- Excellent working knowledge of general ledger systems and MS Excel including use of pivot tables and macros
- Able to make decisions within a consultative and supportive framework
- Capacity to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels
- Able to prioritise work to meet deadlines
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner
Profiles sought for International Headquarters Staff
- Experienced Relief Workers and those without field experience
- Experienced professionals in a relevant Medair sector of expertise
- Overseas intercultural work experience desirable
- Fully committed to the Medair values; to reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, international team members, and external contacts
- Strong working knowledge of English, spoken and written
- Working knowledge of French (spoken and written) for French-speaking roles
- Working knowledge of German (spoken and written) for German-speaking role
- Able to work in a multicultural team
- Strong character traits, including emotional stability, adaptability, ability to handle stress, cultural and gender sensitivity, and honesty
– See more at: http://relief.medair.org/en/jobs/positions/accountant-hq/#sthash.2Uj32yU2.dpuf