Application closing date: 31 May 2018
This volunteer placement is part of the VSO partnership with the Department of Social Welfare (DSW). The Volunteer will be based in the department of Social Welfare working with the Rehabilitation Division. The Research Advisor is to provide technical support and build capacity of the Division to undertake research and national survey in areas of disability, drugs and human trafficking. The Research Advisor will work with the Research Division to establish and/or refine government research design and programme, enhance the quality of research and data analysis, and ensure that research in areas of disability, drugs and human trafficking informs priority policy and programming Agenda.
Skills, qualifications and experience
- Strong background in research development, implementation and analysis to inform decision-making (in particular policy development) to promote social development and social welfare.
- Technical expertise in all aspects of research design, including large scale nationwide surveys.
- Experienced in a range of qualitative and quantitative research approaches (especially participatory methods).
- Knowledge and experience of the rehabilitation and disability sectors.
- Excellent skills in using research findings to help support decision-making.
- Good strategic planning skills for design and delivery of research programmes.
- Able to explain complex concepts and methods to people with a range of experience.
- Ability to train and coach others.
- Able to work with limited resources.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Committed to social inclusion and gender equality.
- Experience of working in Myanmar and/or SE Asia.
- Experience of working in government
- Understanding of development issues
Allowance and accommodation
All volunteers have an allowance paid in local currency. The allowance meets reasonable living expenses in country, but will not be enough to send money home.
VSO works with some of the poorest communities in the world which means accommodation varies and will be basic.
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description for more information.