UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners’ needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Established in 2009, UNOPS Ethiopia Office has been providing services to various partners, including the government of Ethiopia, UN agencies such as WHO, UNHCR and WFP, and other international organizations. In 2014, the UNOPS Executive Director decided to establish the UNOPS Ethiopia Operational Hub (ETOH), which manages and coordinates the UNOPS activities in Ethiopia, as well as Sudan and Djibouti.
UNOPS ETOH activities range from tailor-made administration, operations, human resources and logistics support for implementation of development and humanitarian projects; infrastructure and procurement management services; and advisory services on effective procurement, supply and financial management.
Under the guidance and supervision of the Finance Officer, the Finance Associate acts as the finance focal point and provides leadership in execution of financial services in the office ensuring effective and transparent utilization of financial resources and integrity of financial services. The Finance Associate promotes a client-oriented approach consistent with UNOPS rules and regulations.The Finance Associate works in close collaboration with Project Managers and Project teams for resolving finance-related issues and information exchange.
Ensures implementation of operational strategies, adapts processes and procedures focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance with UNOPS rules and regulations of financial processes, financial records and reports and audit follow up; implementation of the effective internal control framework.
- Elaboration of the content of internal Standard Operating Procedures in Finance in consultation with the direct supervisor and office management.
Ensures efficient budgetary and monitoring control, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Extraction of required financial information from UNOPS project agreements and set up of necessary accounts in line with existing UNOPS financial policies and procedures.
- Information-gathering for budget preparation.
- Preparation and processing of project budget revisions
- Maintenance of budget databases by verifying and entering approved budgets.
- §Review and adjustment of project expenditures/obligations against approved budgets.
- Budgets in conformity with UNOPS Financial Rules and Regulations & procedures of the funding source.
Provides support to Treasury and ensures proper payments processing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Review and confirmation of appropriateness of operational transactions processed through the interpretation and determination of applicable policies, regulations, rules
- Review of payment requests for completeness prior to processing, ensuring that documentation needed is complete and that all required procedures are fulfilled to enable the payment.
- Payment requests properly obligated and payment in accordance with relevant UN Financial Rules and Regulations and UNOPS procedures;
- Review and confirmation of validity of charges by verifying authorized amounts and ensure availability of budget and funds.
- Performance of periodical petty cash counts with the petty cash custodian. Review any petty cash establishment request and the petty cash replenishment requests. Maintenance and control of petty cash fund and preparation of report for replenishment.
- Verification of payment information and preparation of vouchers according to UN Financial Rules and Regulations and accuracy of invoices and totals as well as calculations;
- Monitoring of payments and follow-up when problems arise;
- Periodic review of outstanding obligations relating to sub-contracts and ensure review and required action is taken by relevant staff;
Provides accounting and administrative support to the Finance Unit, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Preparation and review of vouchers and supporting documentation for completeness, accuracy, compliance with UN Financial Rules and Regulations and correctness of account code charges.
- Preparation of bank reconciliation report. Review for discrepancies and action as required.
- Preparation of recurring, ad-hoc or special financial reports as required.
- Communication with colleagues/clients on areas requiring verification, corrections, additional information, etc. to improve quality of output and/or account submission and increase knowledge base in the process.
- Preparation of monthly expenditure schedules as well as quarterly and year-end statements
- Monitoring of local bank accounts and balances to ensure existence of sufficient funds; preparation of requests for replenishment of bank account on a monthly basis
- Provision of guidance in budget preparation, monitoring project budgets; establishment and maintenance of proper financial controls and timely submission of monthly accounts;
- Review of signed agreements/Approvals from Governments/UN Agencies/Other Clients for compliance and completeness prior to management review.
- Monitoring of financial recorded expenditures and related contributions to ensure timely and accurate accounting information.
- Monitoring of cash requirements and expenditures.
- Budget revisions in accordance with agreements and guidelines of funding agency.
- Proper closure of projects and refund of unspent balances to Donors/UN Agencies.
- Reimbursement of remaining funds according to agreement (Government, Donor, Dev. Bank).
Ensures effective financial reporting and control, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support to the preparation of monthly expenditure schedules and quarterly and year-end statements.
- Contacts with project staff and Regional Office to verify, correct, add and improve quality of financial activities of a particular project, including financial reports.
- Preparation of financial statements for clients
- Implementation of reporting systems and reports to meet Funding source requirements.
- Preparation of periodic financial statements to funding sources and external clients in compliance with established reporting requirements.
- Preparation of Financial Statements against specific projects for Audit Certification and forwarding to Lending institutions/Donors/UN Agencies and Governments.
- Provision of reports as needed for Year-End close
Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Training of colleagues upon requests from Project managers, the supervisor and other finance officers in setting projects, budget revisions, troubleshooting and understanding of the processes on day to day financial transactions, reporting and other related tasks
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in Finance.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice
Education: Completion of secondary school or equivalent. BA degree or certification in finance-related subjects or business administration is an advantage. Experience:
- 6 years of progressively responsible finance experience is required.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Office 2003 and/or newer versions) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems is an asset.
Language: Fluency in English is required.
- Respect for Diversity
- Creativity and innovation
- Commitment to continuous learning
- Planning and Organizing
- Results orientation
- Communications skills
- Teamwork skills
- Client orientation
- Technological awareness
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to perform a variety of specialized activities related to financial resources management, including formulating budgets, maintaining Accounts Receivables and Accounts Payables, making transactions, reporting.
- Keen sense of ethics and integrity in dealing with clients and service providers.
- Sound knowledge of UNOPS Financial Rules and Regulations, accounting
- Ability to interact and communicate within a team and with clients
Leadership and Self-Management
- Ability to adhere to work assignments and meet designated deadlines.
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Responds positively to critical feedback and different points of view